“Cute little find in Griffith Park area”

Farfalla Trattoria Italiana
Reserve with OpenTable
Farfalla Trattoria Italiana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #908 of 9,953 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
El Cajon, California
“Cute little find in Griffith Park area”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I went to a concert in Griffith Park and were lost on where to eat dinner. Our friend who is an LA local suggested this place. Italian is my favorite. We got there right at the opening hour since we needed to have an early dinner. We were a little sticker shocked on their wine selection and so I asked our waitress if they had a house wine or chianti. She said they did, but not advertised. It was only a $20 bottle and very tasty. My husband and I enjoyed the dim lighting and the delicious bread. The food was fairly priced for pricey LA and we would definitely go back if we found ourselves near Griffith Park again.

• Visited September 2011

Paris, France
“Good value for money”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Fairly small Italian restaurant. Lights are dim and the decor is charming. It is cozy and informal. It has a friendly neighborhood atmosphere. But the tables are quite close to one another.
The service was very good and the waiters were very pleasant. The restaurant has a good selection of dishes.
The dishes we chose were very tasty and delicious : PESTO E CAPRINO, RAVIOLI DI ZUCCA ALLA CREMA DI NOCI. We also had white wine by the glass (very nice choice) and sorbet for dessert.
Being French I was extremely surprised and very happy to be able to order "THE" aperitif French ladies always order in France = "Kir" A glass of white wine and a splash of creme de Cassis.
Our meal was worth the price we paid !
I will definitely keep come back to this place in the future.
It is better to book as it gets full pretty quickly.

• Visited July 2011
los angeles
“Quite simply..don't bother.”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Mediocre food, terrible service, high prices.
The Farfalla on Hillhurst is great - I don't know what happened with this place.
I can't imagine it will last long.

Los Angeles, California
“Farfalla, Encino. Don't waste your time. No really. Don't. Seriously.”
Reviewed September 4, 2010

It actually takes quite a bit for me to feel motivated to waste my time and energy writing a negative review of a restaurant, but in this case, it's more than worth my time. This place was horrifying.

We walked in. At first glance, it's a nice enough looking place - for a chain restaurant that's probably based in Irvine, or something like that. I immediately sensed the low-to-mid level of food we were in for, but I wasn't expecting to be charged high-end prices for the privilege.

More distressing though, was the staff. Maybe they were trying, but they were outmatched by the Saturday night crowds. (Saturday night crowds? What a surprise. How about staffing appropriately?) Our corner table went neglected for too long, our waters unfilled, etc..

The food finally came out. We liked the appetizers (bruschetta with barrata was great, the caprese with prosciutto was serviceable). Then the dinners. Unremarkable all around, with everyone finding something "off" or "wrong" slightly, but unable to really put a finger on it. Except for my wife. Her lasagna was plainly wrong. It was covered with some sort of puke-covered cream sauce, and there were other problems. We sent it back and the waiter assured that the replacement dish (cioppino) would take about 10 minutes. Great, because we have a bunch of small kids in our party, and they're starting to squirm. Smash-cut to 30+ minutes later. Everyone has finished their dinners except my wife, who is still waiting for her cioppino. It finally comes out after I flag the waiter to investigate. And he charged her for a large, though she wanted a small.

I asked what they were going to do, to adjust the check somehow because of all we'd been through. Response? Well, I didn't charge you for the lasagna that you sent back. ... Huh?! I asked to see the manager. The chef/owner walked out - and I haven't been treated as rudely and dismissively by anyone in years (not since Sisley in Sherman Oaks, coincidentally --- what's with these corporate chain Italian joints?). The chef looked at me, said "Nope, everything took the right amount of time to cook, you pay", spun on his heels, and walked away. He looked like the Seinfeld soup-nazi, and he acted like it, and it was the most disgusting way I could imagine treating a customer. I mean, I was tempted to walk out without paying anything.

The waiter shrewdly assessed the situation, looked at our angry group, and took it upon himself to adjust the price on the cioppino. Whatever. I'm never going back, and I suggest you don't either. This place is an overpriced, mediocre crater of a waste of space, and while I'm sure it'll last a few years (because Corporate probably has deep enough pockets to afford the lease), it doesn't deserve another month of operations.

5 Thank brian1970
Los Angeles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“THEIR ENCINO RESTAURANT WAS TERRIBLE”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I have been in the restaurant industry for over 25 yrs. & sometimes I am both a professional and a guest when we dine out. In this case, it yelled out to me to be the professional as this restaurant should have not opened to the public until it was 100% ready, staff fully trained, food tested with several dry runs and ownership present to greet guests. Our experience was very dis-tasteful relative to the food and wait staff service. They were very disorganized, lacked enough staff to handle the guests and the food was very sub-par. To top things off, when we returned an awful pizza dish, they promised us a dessert which never came - Only The Check ! They will need to get their act together here if they want to stay in business. We are very reluctant to return since their are so many great Italian restaurants to chose from - "The Professional

1 Thank paul32655