“A good choice for sushi in Brentwood”

Sugarfish by Sushi Nozawa
Ranked #1,099 of 10,140 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Sushi
Description: This chain's other sites are listed, just not this one and I would like to add a review.
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I'm a bit of a sushi snob, having lived in Japan for decades, and I am always skeptical whether trendy big city sushi joints in America will live up to my expectations. Sugarfish did not disappoint. I have to say the only reason we came here was that neighboring Takao, a more down-to-earth restaurant, was closed. While Sugarfish's sushi is delicious it is certainly no bargain. Expect to spend about $100 without alcohol for two moderately hungry people.

There are newer reviews for Sugarfish by Sushi Nozawa

Reviewed December 3, 2013

The absolute BEST sushi. The staff is wonderful but they don't take reservations. Yes, the wait can be a nightmare but the system works.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The quality of fish at Sugarfish is on par with $100+ per person restaurants, yet it's affordable enough to make you not feel guilty eating it on a weekday. I didn't even like salmon sushi until I tried it here. For some reason, I think the Brentwood location in particular is the best of the different branches. Also - sign up for their email notices to get a free sushi dinner on your birthday! The only complaint I have is that since the meal is very regulated and strictly paced, the entire party needs to be there in order to be seated, and it's not really a place where you linger for drinks after dinner. They really make it known (or, at least the other hungry diners waiting for your table do, from their stares) that when you're done eating, it's time to go. No worries though - Tavern right next door has a fabulous bar area for hanging out afterward.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

There are several branches of SugarFISH in LA. The one I went to was in Brentwood, though as I understand it the menu and ambience are uniform in all of them. The approach is very traditional, with no American-style rolls. A limited selection of high quality, super fresh fish served with warm rice and special sauces. There a 3 set 'Trust Me' selections, at $20 $30 and $40 - or you can order a la carte ( which is what I did since I'm very picky about my fish, and about my food in general). Everything is very yummy. No reservations are taken, and the wait staff is mainly young woman. It's something of a hectic scene, but not unpleasantly so. Try it. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

It's a very popular and very busy restaurant so be prepared to have to wait outside ..but it's well worth it. The halibut and shrimp is to die for....I'm not a sushi lover but....it was delicious