“Never Again!”

Ranked #121 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Diego, California
“Never Again!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The Complimentary Parking Permit for street parking (one space on the side of the building) is a joke. This apartment building converted into a hotel has street parking ONLY.
My lock (no card key) on my door was loose. I was unable to sleep peaceful due to me being a woman and by myself.
The free continental breakfast has no prepared hot dishes at all. No microwave to warm up muffins that sit out uncovered the entire time period.

I give high praise to the night desk help for promptly getting the wifi back up and running so that I could complete my work online. He as extremely proficient.

Room Tip: Inform all people that if they are handicap with a wheelchair, they are to seek other accommodations...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RayVon84
Tomasy35, Guest Relations Manager at Wilshire Crest Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Let me start by saying I am glad the night attendant was able to handle the situation in a timely and professional manner. In regards to your other points, there must have been a misunderstanding regarding the permit parking. The permit is not for any specific spot but rather the permit allows you to park anywhere on the street all day. As far as the breakfast in concerned, we offer a variety of pastries, bagels, hard boiled eggs cream cheese, butter, hot and cold cereal, juice, coffee, tea, fruit and more. While most guests are satisfied with what we provide, I do understand that you were looking for more hot prepared foods.

Aaron T.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Hebrew first
Telluride, Colorado
Reviewed December 3, 2013

These guys need to watched very carefully. When I booked on Hotels.com, for about 30 percent less than the rate on the hotel's website, I was charged a $40 per day deposit. When I checked out they ran my card for both the deposit, plus tax ($138) AND the full three day room charge (another $415). When I called to try to get it sorted out I ran into multiple denials of having made the double charge, plus I was told I needed to come up with complete credit card records, etc.. Rather than spend several hours putting together records, I told them to figure it out and credit my account. The easy thing would have been to simply credit my card for the improperly charged deposit. That is apparently too simple. Also noteworthy that the breakfast consists of cold pastries and hard boiled eggs and really watered down coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OMAWestside59
Tomasy35, Guest Relations Manager at Wilshire Crest Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Please allow me to respond to your review of our hotel. In terms of the rate, I am happy to hear that you were able to take advanatage of our special promotion that we ran through our on line travel agents. In terms of the billing, I immediatley looked into this matter and got to the bottom of it. Upon checking in, we took a pre-authorization of your card for the equivalent of one night stay. When you checked out your card was charged for the 3 nights.( The complete length of your stay). The original pre-authorization was cancelled by us at that point and was never charged. We advised you to cal your credit card to confirm that in fact that was the case. You indicated that you were not interested in doing so. We then contacted our credit card processing company to make sure that the original pre-authorization was not charged. We were informed that it was never charged. However, per your banks policy, the pre-authorization will be held for up to 72 hours. This morning, after reading your review I once again contacted our credit card processor and was reassured that the original pre-authorized amount was never charged and in fact the hold has been released. I do apologize for any inconvinience this may have caused you but you card was only charged the 3 nights that you stayed with us.

Aaron Tomaszewski
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We we stayed in this hotel in early November13. To be honest this hotel is far from perfect: rooms are a bit old, this is the only hotel from our 7 hotels during our trip where we had problems with lock on dry wooden door about to fall apart. The most important thing we were not happy about - was very noisy. We could hear everything what was going on in closest rooms and behind the door. I will definitely reccomend to bring earplugs with you. Also our plumbing was growling like mad animal from time to time. Breakfast was weak (better than nothing though).
BUT
All negatives are being overwritten by the price and place of the hotel. Keep in mind hotel is situated in Beverly Hills - most expensice part of LA, this is the most cheap hotel in Beverly Hills I believe, so for this price you get more you paid for.
Once again - if you want very good hotel be ready to pay 300-400 bucks per night. I didnt have so much and stayed here, and I dont regret it.

Room Tip: Strongly reccomend to bring earplugs with you.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yuri_Efimov
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Based on some of the reviews about grouchy staff and less than stellar accommodations, we were not sure what to expect at this small hotel. Suffice it to say, we were happily surprised by all they have to offer. From check in to check out, we were greeted with courtesy and respect. The room we stayed in was quiet, clean, and had a recently updated bathroom. The bed, a pillow-top, was very comfortable. Coffee is available at 6-6:30am for early risers and there is also a buffet breakfast served in a small dining room off the lobby every morning. For us, the location was perfect, tucked into a quiet, safe residential neighborhood, yet just off Wilshire Blvd. and close to the Grove and Farmers Market. Not luxurious, but just right for the busy traveler.

Room Tip: It's probably quieter in the back, away from the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank elizajane47
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We booked this hotel for its location. Our local resident family members had never heard of it, but were positively impressed when they came to collect us. We arrived late from the airport and had to wait for the front desk guy to appear. Exterior hotel doors were wide open and check-in was quick.

This isn't the newest hotel in Los Angeles, and while it could do with some serious updating, the room was clean and very spacious, there was a large bathroom with a bath tub, a second sink and mirror adjacent, a coffee-maker, bar fridge (empty), and plenty of closet space.

The phone was bereft of any instructions and we could only dial out on the phone next to the toilet, rather than the one by the bed. There was a pay phone in the lobby which "hasn't worked in years". There is a computer and internet and free wi-fi in the rooms which worked well.

Breakfast was served in the dining area adjacent to the lobby. We never actually saw anyone staffing the area, but there was an ample supply of juice, cereal, bagels and condiments, and a variety of pastries or coffee cake to choose from. Fresh fruit was confined to apples. While it is an efficient system, the use of only paper cups and paper plates and plastic cutlery didn't feel especially guest-friendly. A couple of copies of the LA Times are around for you to read over coffee and a bagel.

The first morning we walked to the Farmers Market along Fairfax Street and I was wondering why I had booked what appeared to be such a down-market area. It is a seriously shabby area. Then when we walked home we went over one block and walked along residential streets that were really lovely. Go figure. I still wasn't comfortable going out walking after dark, but the front desk had a range of menus from local restaurants and we had an excellent pizza delivered while we watched the world series baseball on the TV.

The hotel is walking distance to the Market and the Grove a very up-market shopping area. For anything else you would need a taxi or your own car. Family were pleased with our location in terms of the places we were going including museums, the theatre, etc.

We visit Los Angeles regularly (at least twice a year) and generally choose different areas of the city each time. If we were heading back to the Farmer's Market again we would re-book here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank binduAustralia
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My friend and I just returned from a fantastic LA vacation! We had booked Wilshire Crest Hotel by the reviews we read. We were NOT disappointed in the least! Loved the fact that their front door is open "inviting" you into this quaint small hotel on a corner within walking distance of the Farmers Market and lots of shopping and eating places.
The lady at the front desk, when we arrived, was very pleasant and accommodating. She got us checked in promptly and we felt we were off to a good start. I had read about a "musty" smell and yes, we smelled that immediately when we walked to the front desk. But that was the only time we dealt with that smell. It definitely was not any other place in the hotel after that first initial encounter. As we walked to our downstairs room, we passed the room where they put out a pleasant morning "breakfast" for us every morning. It consisted of tiny muffins, bagels, cereal, fresh fruit, coffee cake, etc along with orange juice, coffee, etc. It was a great way to get every morning started and it was included in the price of the room so we felt we were saving on the purchase of one meal every day.
The lobby was so pretty! Loved the furniture and a nice surprise was a computer sitting in the corner for all the guests use. I was able to check my email from home and go on and search for some places to eat, etc when we chose not to ask the front desk although they were a great help while we were there. They called a cab for us, gave us tips as to where to eat, places to see within walking distance, etc.
Oh I wanted to mention that people complained about parking. We didn't experience that as we took a shuttle service from and to the airport and public transportation thereafter which worked well for us. But I could see where it might be a bit of a problem because it seemed people were coming and going from the parking spots on the streets. So that would be hit and miss.
The room was a pleasant surprise. Some of the reviews we read talked about outdated, mismatched furniture, etc but neither of us saw that. It was very clean and spacious and the beds were very comfortable. We were the first room on our side of the hallway so we had plenty of traffic passing by our room. Although we could hear people talking as they passed, for the time we were there, it was not a problem. We also heard people upstairs a couple of times but again, not a problem. Nothing that disturbed our sleep or kept us awake.
There are plenty of hotels in LA but I cannot give you one good reason NOT to book Wilshire Crest and I hope I've given you plenty of reasons TO book this small hotel. This hotel would definitely be our only choice if we were to return to the LA area! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends