“Loved it!”

Hollywood Hills Hotel
Ranked #148 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had a great stay. The hotel is located on a hill in Hollywood with beautiful views. A former apartment complex, there was plenty of room in our suite, complete with a kichenette. And it was clean and recently renovated, absolutely no issues here! Lovely pool and outstanding staff, friendly and helpful. Snacks, drinks, movies all complimentary and are delivered pronto and they refuse tips!!! All hotels should be run like this! Caveats: plenty of steps, so not recommended for those with mobility problems, young children or heavy luggage. Also, it is dark and not very well lit on the exterior stairs. Care must be taken driving on the hill, there are no guard rails and if you arrive at night and are not familiar with the road, it can be confusing. The Magic Castle Hotel is located at the bottom of the hill and is part of the hotel complex. It is very well maintained and under the same operation, and I can recommend it, too. And lest I forget, extremely well priced for Los Angeles!

Room Tip: Convenient to the Hollywood tourist strip.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I was a bit confused over its alternative name - "The Magic Castle Hotel." Indeed, the main street-level hotel is immediately adjacent to that famous dinner club. However, the other property is situated about a 10 min walk up a steep hill. I stayed two nights in a room in this upper level. My room was very quiet, being away from the unrelenting traffic on Franklin Blvd, but more to the point, it had a commanding view of the LA basin, on one side, and the Hollywood Hills the other. Brilliant! The room was clean, if not in need of a mild upgrade, and nip-and-tuck here and there. My room was literally 20 steps downhill from an outstanding Asian-California fusion restaurant Yamashiro, which I highly recommend. The hotel staff are exceedingly friendly, helpful and professional. One can easily walk to the tourist attractions - Hollywood Blvd, or to the nearly Metro stop. Very conveniently located (15 min by car) from the Burbank Airport. When in Hollywood, I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Roger C
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I think I have visited this hotel 7 times in the past 8 years, and I can’t wait to return for another visit. I sat on the balcony of my suite one night pondering exactly what makes it so special and I came up with a few things:

1. The views – The views from the city view rooms are incredible. You can see over all of LA to downtown, across to Silverlake and on the other side Runyon Canyon. Friends who live in LA who have visited me at the hotel have been equally impressed. I have spent some of my happient evenings sitting out on that balcony gazing out over LA below me and listening to the far away hum of the city.

2. The location – Is perfect! Being a little way up on the hill means it is extremely tranquil but a short walk or drive takes you to the heart of Hollywood. I think this hotel is unique in that respect and it is an amazing combination. There is plenty within walking distance: great bars & restaurants, Runyon canyon for hiking, the metro for transport to Los Feliz, Downtown, Universal Studios etc.

3. The staff – I know most reviews mention this but they are truly wonderful. Kind and thoughtful and genuine. They really make you feel like they enjoy having you to stay with them and the attention to detail is brilliant.

4. The price – People pay millions for houses in the Hollywood Hills (for good reason), but you get the same view and the same location for less than most of the dull hotels in the congested, noisy flatlands of Hollywood & West Hollywood. It is a bargain!

5. All the other stuff – everywhere is clean, the pools are immaculate, check in and check out are swift and accurate., everything works (TV, heater, coffee maker etc). and even when they are full it never feels crowded.

As you can tell, I adore this place but I appreciate not everyone likes the same things. If you need a super-modern, brand new suite then this place probably isn’t for you. The suites are huge, comfortable and clean but are older, so for example they have large TVs instead of flat screen. You will have to go down to the Magic Castle Hotel for some things - there is a gorgeous unheated pool right by the rooms, which you can often have to yourself and a heated pool at the Magic Castle Hotel. This is also where breakfast buffet is served, so you need to walk or drive down the hill. Walking takes less than 5 minutes and I believe they will send a shuttle bus if you want a ride up or down. There is no wi fi in the suites (free wi fi at The Magic Castle hotel) but they provide an ethernet cable which was fine for our needs. There are also quite a lot of steps from the car park up to the city view rooms, so you will get a bit of a work out. I am sure the staff would be happy to help with bags if you need it.

I would say if you want to experience something very special in LA then stay here. There is just nowhere else like it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MissJDoe
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I found this place on line and stayed there last week end for two nights. Our room was in the Hollywood Hills Hotel up the hill from the Magic Castle Hotel, where registration and checkout are completed. The property was a bit dated, but very clean and well kept with a beautiful very clean pool and was very quiet and peaceful although only a ten minute walk down the hill to Grauman's Chinese Theater and the center of Hollywood Blvd. I am constantly traveling for business and pleasure and have stayed in hotels all over the world, but I can honestly say that I have never experienced such an excellent hotel staff and customer service. My sincere thanks and appreciation to Nick, Monica, and all of the staff that went out of their way to see that all our needs were met, all our questions answered, and that we were satisfied with everything. I will definitely stay there the next time I am in LA, even if it is not convenient to the particular area that I am visiting. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, and will be certain to tell all of my friends about it.

Room Tip: Rooms in the HHH are the quietest as they are secluded up in the hills, but people that have difficu...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John S
Reviewed September 5, 2013

we arrived after a 14 hour flight to a wonderful greeting, even though we were very early, Lisa at the front desk made us welcome and arranged for us to be able to freshen up. the hotel is a bit tired but staying up in the hills and having the view of the LA skyline and the peace and quiet though only minutes from Hollywood Blvd was great, the pool area was fantastic and the Japanese restaurant a stroll through the gardens was a bonus.

the staff always made sure we were looked after and having a kitchenette was great, even when we left they wanted to know if we needed snacks for our journey, all complimentary of course.

for a budget priced stay in the heart of the action you cant go past this place.

Room Tip: if you dont mind a walk stay here if you are dependant on flat ground don't.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCRL21
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hands down, this hotel has the best front desk and customer service of anywhere I have ever stayed. They go out of their way to accommodate. The morning free breakfast is perfect and casual. My 9 year old son loved the unlimited free snacks. We did not stay at the main hotel, but rather in the "hills" location. Upon check in, the friendly staff greeted us with sparkling lemonade in champagne glasses, which my son thought was the COOLEST THING EVER. He is still reading the snack list offerings to family members! Pros: it was beautiful at night, clean, and transportation was great about picking us up almost immediately when we called. Cons: It was VERY outdated, the curtains had big stains, and the carpet was old and dingy. When we arrived at 9:30 p.m. we self parked and the area was poorly lit where we had to walk to our room. Never being there, were were a bit nervous.
We would definitely stay again, but until the rooms where we stayed are updated, we would choose the main hotel.
This place should be VERY proud of the employees that provide GREAT customer service and an overall very pleasant experience. Thank you:)

Room Tip: Stay in the hills location for spacious rooms with a great city view, but know that it is VERY outda...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Booked HHH based on price, proximity to various L.A. destinations. Knew ahead of time about the funky arrangement to check-in and go back and forth between our room in the HHH and the front desk & breakfast down below – a steep 10 minute walk, so not practical for those who want more ease without driving. That said, our suite, while not at all elegant, was great, beds were firm, cable TV in living room and bedroom, free wired internet, very functional kitchenette, and a balcony and nice view of smoggy L.A. and the Hollywood hills, with a big breakfast and two pools, unlimited snacks, all for $204 including parking and tax. Five minute walk from depressing Hollywood Blvd. and all the glitz. Would recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: City views are great from suites.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends