“Beautifully landscaped history” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 536 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Final resting-place of some of Hollywood's celebrities and other luminaries.
New York City
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Beautifully landscaped history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

the permanent home to everyone from Cecil B. DeMille to Johnny Ramone with monuments to others, including the dog who played Toto in the original Wizard of Oz. Peaceful, watch out for the peacocks!

Visited May 2013

• Finnish first
Carlsbad
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“One of the most interesting cemeteries around.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Our visit to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery (HFC) was interesting and generally quite pleasurable. It is a large cemetery, densely packed with graves. Many graves are opulently attired in massive tombstones with the picture of the interred engraved thereon. There appears to be a heavy occupancy of lavish Jewish and Armenian graves. Of course, they also have about four mausoleums.

The cemetery grounds and burial sites are well organized, laid out, and maintained.

We chose a self-guided celebrities tour using a $5 map purchased at the cemetery’s flower shop. The map listed the celebrities’ approximate locations only. The back side of the map listed the names of the celebrities with their assigned location numbers in their assigned sections. The front side of the map was the graphic layout displaying the positions of the celebrities’ location numbers (listed on the back of the map). The map was a guide only and was somewhat inaccurate in its layout and lacking in its ability to clearly show the location of the burial sites. For example: The map will show that celebrity #112 (Nelson Riddle) is located in the Hall of David, section T1. When one gets to the map’s location, there are hundreds of tombs there and none is identified with a corresponding number to match the lists on the back of the map. One, therefore, must read all the names on all the tombs until s/he finds “Nelson Riddle.” Good luck in the dark mausoleums. We never found Nelson Riddle! This was applicable to all the mausoleums. The tombs in the ground required a lot of walking and retracing steps for all but the very large and obvious tombs. The map only gets you in the general area and, once again, one has to start reading every grave marker. We got serious headaches!

Advice, take one of the HFC guided tours when it is available. Call them for that information. Anybody want a nice used map?

I would have given the Hollywood Forever Cemetery a full five stars, but there were a couple small irritants: Security politely got after us for photographing tombs that were anything other than those of the celebrities. Reason: Living families of the departed were offended by seeing their loved ones’ pictures if they appeared on the Internet. I don’t recall seeing this photography restriction identified on the HFC web site or elsewhere. There is free parking everywhere inside the cemetery. Just don’t park up front near the offices as we did or security will get after you for that too.

The bathrooms near the flower shop were virtually useless. Both the men’s and the women’s restrooms were lacking door knobs on the inside. A lady got locked in the restroom while we were there. The men’s room looked as though it had been vandalized. Wads of paper were strewn about and stuffed in the urinal. We ended up using the restrooms in the front office.
If you need drinks or snacks, vending machines are provided in front of the flower shop. Watch the drink machine; I had to fight it to get the door open to retrieve my drink. The prices are fair.

I thought I saw somewhere that there is an entrance fee to the Cemetery. We saw no such requirement and got in for nothing. Do we have a “whoops” here?

Those little irritants aside, I would highly recommend a visit to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Dennis G
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Personal Favorite L.A. Cemetery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I've visited Los Angeles/Hollywood, the surrounding area a total of two times. I'll be visiting L.A. and the area again in October 2013. To make a long story short, if your new to the area, or planning to visit Los Angeles/Hollywood, SoCal. Hollywood Forever Cemetery should definitely be on your list of attractions to checkout. Many of the movers and shakers of early filmdom are buried there. You have silent era heartthrob Rudolf Valentino, prolific film director Cecil B. DeMille, and an insane amount of other Hollywood luminaries. A highlight of the cemetery are the tours given by Karie Bible. If history is your thing, you will get all that and more at Hollywood Forever.

Visited October 2012
Mexico City, Mexico
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent tour that you can walk by yourself”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a little difficult finding parking since we did not know that we could park inside. Then it took us a few minutes to find a map that could take us to Johnny and Dee Dee Ramone graves. They sell them at the flower store for $5 that is at the entrance. The place if beautiful, nice to walk. Perfectly secured.

Visited April 2013
Colne, United Kingdom
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“This is another Free attraction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Hollywood Forever Cemetery
This stop has to be one of the weirdest stops on Route 66, but it is a free attraction, and it can be interesting, so pull of a see the Dead centre of LA.
All my reviews are written from the heart, and how each place made me feel, I never write a negative review, due to the fact that if I have a problem or complaint, I open my mouth while I am there, let’s be fair and give people a chance to rectify problems, stop all this negativity.

Lee Wood at Pendle Pictures