“Not a bad place once inside !” 4 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Hometown Inn
Ranked #283 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Idaho
“Not a bad place once inside !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

When I first arrived here at almost midnight, I felt the neighborhood wasn't the greatest. But after checking in, the room was great - all things worked well, and it was clean. The place has been remodled. The next morning things looked a lot better outside as well. There is also a security door to go through to get to the rooms, and a clerk watching anyone who goes by. Overall, it was a surprisingly pleasant experience. And the clerks (I dealt with 2 of them) at the front desk were very helpful and polite

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank IdahoMonk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
KC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

My friend and I stayed in this hotel from Dec 12th 2008 till Dec 14th 2008. I got up early in the morning yesterday only to find that there was no hot water in the shower. We called up the front desk and the employee at the front desk told me he will have someone look into it. The employee never called back and when I called him back he told me that the manager will come and look into it. The manger came in and his suggestion was to leave the tap open for some time so that the hot water will come in. I left the tap open for at least 15 minutes and never got any hot water. We called the manger back who came back and provided us with different room with a smaller bathroom just for the shower. All this time the manger was very rude and even walked away when we were asking him about what we should do the next day. The problem repeated itself the next day and when we tried calling help desk there as no employee to take our phone call. We ended up leaving the hotel immediately without using the shower. I also found their advertisement of free continental breakfast misleading because all they provided was Donuts and coffee which cannot be considered a breakfast much less a continental breakfast. I had to face delays due to the lack of hot water and I am very dissatisfied with the attitude of the manager.

• Disliked — Manager, Quality of Service, Breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank Yarli

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

mission viejo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

I am attending CSUN and the commute from Carlsbad was too far so I've been staying here on the weekdays for school. No complaints here since its cheaper than an apartment, I can leave whenever I want, and it is furnished.

Internet is actually pretty fast too, just tested it coming in at 6.2Mbp/s on speakeasy

• Liked — fast internet, cheap prices
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank CynthiaGom
no town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

HOMETOWN INN...............VERY, VERY BAD!

We found our need for a temporary home while escrow closed, and the new home was still to be finished....it could be as long as 6 weeks total.
So off we go on the hunt for local, inexpensive, not total dives, but just a cut below a Hilton and not as reasonable as a hotel 6, we thought we had found the suitable solution.
Wow, a very nice, empty pool, very clean, a room with all the minimum things we required, internet, a/c, cable, mini fridge, etc. and since it was not on the "expense account" , but an "out of pocket", it was even reasonably priced, too good to be true, YUP!
The nightmare begins, our first question was "can we stand this for 6 whole weeks"....maybe if the microwave, refrigerator, the TV set, internet, some of the lights, and the bath tub worked, we might be able to rough it. YEAH SURE and it did not get better, but even worse.
We thought to mention the corrections so immediately needed, while stopping by the pool. Another small mistake, but we found out why the pool was so beautiful, no one ever swims in it....yes, locked for no good reason except that they choose not to open it when anyone feels like swimming. The afternoon of the earthquake, upon asking again for the 3rd time, I was given an actual reason "they must inspect it for damages after the quake, it will be open again tomorrow" Yes, another bunch of crap, and having owned many pools through much larger quakes I was amazed at this additional BS I was being feed.
Now most of you are probably thinking "why did you not leave immediately?". Well, I paid for a whole week and at the time I expected things would be resolved quickly and we would make it through. Have you ever tried to get a cash payment back from an independant hotel operator.? Even after that, I was almost with no other options, and I find myself giving consideration to a 2nd week, due to the hectic schedule I was stuck in. Figuring we could rough it, since we had made all necessary repairs except for cable and the internet access. We were actually stupid enough to stay another week while we were looking for a better solution.
I was so amazed at the lack of response to any repair requests, and being that the pool was at the top of my wife's list, i had to write a note in regard to pool access and all the defects that we had put up with since arrival. At the end I suggest that we come up with a reduction in rate or some kind of compensation for all the "less then" minimum standards. I left this with half the next weeks payment and said "that upon returning" that afternoon we could hopefully resolve the matter and whatever the balance that THEY had determined would be fair. This was not a demand, but a detailed suggestion with a positive stroke, as to very carefully offend NO ONE.....ohhhh, but I did offend, not more then 10 minutes down the road that morning, and already late for a meeting, I receive a call from the manager, ....well, people person he is NOT, I was told that I must check out in less then 2 hours from this call and my jaw just about dropped, I did not even know what to say, not expecting anything close to that response I choked and mildly said "I would not be able to address this issue until at least 2pm, maybe even 3pm".
Now we have already stayed a week, and made it clear that it could be a stay of up to 6 weeks from the start, a deposit for this next week totaling either 3 complete nights rate or half the weeks rate and I was told I had no other options except to "check out" asap, that day, with my money already in his hand.
We packed our things in an irrational, panic struck, and schocked mode. We were way past the time of check out, and we were way overloaded because this was not your average vacation or business trip, this was home away from home.
When thinking back, I am amazed that I was even cooperating with this idiot's request....it was only due to the lack of time and irrational state of mind that allowed this to take place. And after accommodating this fool's ego by packing and scooting off, I finally had a moment to realize how bad we had been abused, and how many times we had been lied to.
This is the first opportunity I have had to vent.....in retrospect it was the greatest hotel mistake of my life and as I sit here in the greatest of comfort, while properly connected to the internet and after a nice swim in the very accessible pool, and with even less money spent , I realize that the absolutely asinine act of the HOMETOWN INN's [--] manager was truly a blessing in disguise.
Just because I Iam not on the companies dime, I can still afford a reasonable hotel with quality service and proper activities throughout....thank you , thank you!!!! I almost punished myself for 6 weeks at that dump and only due to the typical LA guilt some of us carry around, we would have continued to tolerate it.
I wasted most of my week thinking my poor little computer was the criminal in the inability to access the internet and those idiots were trying to convince me of it.
Well, since I am able to write this letter on the first night in the new hotel, I guess they were lying again and I am just going to use my computer to write these wonderful reviews to all the hotel sites I can find along with the "better buisness bureau", "consumer affairs" I might even put a good word in for them with my "building and safety" inspector buddy, he even works at their local office. Maybe that will help adjust a few additudes and give a little more thought to the concept of "customer service" !!!!!!
Our reccomendation is for "most hated mother in law" or anyone you just don't like, this would be the place!
If any of the commentaries on this site, or anywhere else in regard to the HOMETOWN INN have the slightest of good to say it must only be from one of their own reviews (please screen all this hotels reviews carefully).
THE WORST HOTEL IN ALL OF LOS ANGELES.....

• Liked — leaving before expectation, thank the lord!!!!
  • Disliked — managers lack of managerial skills
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mr225
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

Their Customer Service is the worse, and they seem to have different rules to be followed via the guest lenght of stay.. As for their housekeeping would you feel comfortable with your belongings being left for their housekeeper's to leave your room door open along with their cart outside the door for others to look in and stroll into when you are not present. 85 percent of their staff does not understand plain english and at times they the front office staff is even diffcult to understand because of their heavy accents of Asian descent. I was not at all comfortable or even felt safe in that area they are in , with alot of homeless peoples strolling around in the early morining hours that don't even have a room their.,as well as alot of noise at all hours of the night ,diffcult to sleep well. And many of the rooms seem to have odor of misty , meadowy smell. With much meadow in the showers', and very low water pressure all the time. Hope they truly find the time to improve their customer service and their rooms. Before Health Department as well as Fire department Should make their rounds to this faciltiy.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank Tacosta
hometowninn, Owner at Hometown Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2008
First off I want to apologize on behalf of the staff for your bad experience. Our policy on stay length depends on room availability and we usually have all our rooms booked for the weekend. If you reserve your room through the weekend it will be held for you.

We have recently remodeled over half our rooms with granite sink counters, new carpet, new tv''s, remodeled pool, and new furniture. We are doing our best to improve the room conditions and at the same time keep rates the same.

I hope you will give us a second chance. Any comments can be sent to me directly from our hometown north hills website.

San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2006

Worth the price and enjoyed the stay.

• Liked — Good value
  • Disliked — Bad area down south
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo