“Where do I even start with this review?!”

Hollywood Downtowner Inn
Ranked #147 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Hospitality is not in their vocabulary! We checked in for two nights on our honeymoon. The room was old, dirty and just disgusting with a view of the pool and 3 russian ladies that decided to change in front of their window every time they needed to change out their clothing. Location is not close to the hotspots of hollywood ave. We received only two towels for both days. The first morning we were woken up at 10am by the housekeeper peaking her head in. My husband then informed the housekeeper we didnt want service as they did not have DND signs for the door and wanted some alone time. We took our showers and went out for dinner, came back around 5pm to enjoy the pool. He went in to ask for towels, we were told they couldn't accommodate us right now. He said fine please let us know when you can. We never received towels so we ended up using the same two towels for our shower, swim and then shower again. Gross! The ice machine did not work, so we had to skip our champagne. The breakfast was horrible, eggs and hashbrowns were cold, they served an orange drink of some sort not orange juice, the person running the breakfast was rude and unfriendly. They are rude, and should not be in the hospitality industry! Pay the few extra bucks to stay elsewhere. Pictures to follow.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Meagan W

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Having never been to LA, this hotel was easy to find with a great location, very helpful owner; gave us a map and indicated the hot spots to check out. The room was older, but nicely renovated, clean and comfortable. The bed was a bit hard, but after a long day of sight seeing, very easy to fall asleep in. The pool looked very inviting, but we were too busy to take advantage of it. I had read that the location was a bit sketchy, but we always felt safe there. The only thing I would maybe say wasn't perfect was the breakfast buffet at the taco shop. Some of the items looked questionable, but the make-your-own-Belgian-waffle was delicious. I would definitely stay here again, would highly recommend anyone to as well. The free parking is great as that doesn't come with many places in the area. The only warning I would give is that this is not a 5* resort so don't expect a glamorous hotel. It's efficient for the traveler on a budget. We had a great experience here!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Seedyish neighborhood, WAY too far from the walk of fame to charge as much as they do. You have to be buzzed into the office by the owner/manager and all gates from the parking area to the court yard except one are locked all the time.

I had high hopes for this hotel based on the good reviews I had read. I was sorely disappointed. First, the facilities are very worn. The towels were thread bare, all areas needed a fresh coat of paint, the pool had debris in it and needed paint and so forth. When we checked in we were running to a reservation so we dropped our bags in the room and left. Just prior to leaving I moved the dresser because it was pushed away from the wall. I had to adjust the dresser so the door would close, so I KNOW where it was. When we returned the dresser was almost in the middle of the room, it was OBVIOUS someone had been in our room. I was assured by the manager/owner it wasn't possible anyone had been in our room. I know there was.
Later that night as I was showering my young daughter (no bath) I discovered the bathroom window was wide open. Because of these incidents and a couple of others we never felt comfortable here.
There was NO parking available, locals apparently use the hotel's lot with no consequences. We were told to block someone in and leave our keys! Breakfast was good tasting, but it was at the "House of Tacos" ( a bar) 2 doors down. During our first breakfast I over heard the attendant chastise a teenage guest for not clearing his dishes and putting them in the bus pan; they belonged to a man who had already left. The child was obviously mortified.
We felt so unsafe we had to push the dresser in front of the door both nights as there was no security lock/dead bolt.The ONLY reason we stayed 2 nights was because I had already paid for the room through Expedia. If I had it to do over I would have taken the loss and moved to a nice hotel for the second night.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days. The hotel is a little hotel, but full of charm. Nice oase on Hollywood Blvd. The Metro is just a short walk away with only 9 min. to Universial. Walking distance from Walk of Fame.
The hosts where nice and very helpful ( which was appreciated since our luggage was delayed ). The rooms are ok, and clean. If we returns to this par of LA we would use this hotel again.

Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank CharleySD
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have just left after three nites here. Okay, it's not the flashiest place in Hollywood but value wise it's right up there. It's a two minute walk to the metro which can take You to Union station, Hollywood or universal studios, all on one line. Metro is easy to use. Has a small supermarket nearby. Rooms are outdated, but who spends their holiday in their room. It's a clean comfortable place to come back to after long days out theme parking. Refreshing pool, free breakfast next door, free fast wifi, and if u drive, free parking. Now that's value in my opinion. U can walk to manns Chinese theatre in the Hollywood in about 15-20 mins or take metro for two stops and $1.50.
Would I stay here again, yep fr value sure thing.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank andy h
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed there with my partner for a few days and had a great time. The location is convenient (close to the metro and walk of fame) and our room was clean. The pool is a definite plus. Clean and well maintained. Not a 5 star hotel but lovely place for young couples wanting to be close to the main Hollywood attractions.

The husband that runs the place is probably one of the kindest person I've ever met in LA. Amazing customer service and very friendly. He made sure we had everything we needed. It's a pity his wife is quite the opposite.

Room Tip: Hire a car so you can drive around LA.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Ryan, We appreciate your thoughtful review. We
certainly welcome you to come stay with us again.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My partner and I had a fantastic stay at the Hollywood Downtowner Inn last month. Clean room, lovely customer service by the husband who runs the property with his wife. Pool was lovely and clean to use after a long day out sightseeing around LA. Also location great - only 5 mins walk to Hollywood/western station.
Really appreciate that the owners looked after our luggage for us for the day after we found out that we could not leave our luggage at the airport (or train station) and it was our last day in the US before our long flight home to Australia. It's the little things where people go out of their way to help you that really make a difference. Definitely will be staying here next time we are in LA.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margot P

Dear Margot, We sincerely appreciate your thoughtful review.
We look forward to an opportunity to serve you again!