“Great value”

Hollywood Downtowner Inn
Ranked #142 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have just left after three nites here. Okay, it's not the flashiest place in Hollywood but value wise it's right up there. It's a two minute walk to the metro which can take You to Union station, Hollywood or universal studios, all on one line. Metro is easy to use. Has a small supermarket nearby. Rooms are outdated, but who spends their holiday in their room. It's a clean comfortable place to come back to after long days out theme parking. Refreshing pool, free breakfast next door, free fast wifi, and if u drive, free parking. Now that's value in my opinion. U can walk to manns Chinese theatre in the Hollywood in about 15-20 mins or take metro for two stops and $1.50.
Would I stay here again, yep fr value sure thing.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank andy h

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed there with my partner for a few days and had a great time. The location is convenient (close to the metro and walk of fame) and our room was clean. The pool is a definite plus. Clean and well maintained. Not a 5 star hotel but lovely place for young couples wanting to be close to the main Hollywood attractions.

The husband that runs the place is probably one of the kindest person I've ever met in LA. Amazing customer service and very friendly. He made sure we had everything we needed. It's a pity his wife is quite the opposite.

Room Tip: Hire a car so you can drive around LA.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Ryan, We appreciate your thoughtful review. We
certainly welcome you to come stay with us again.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My partner and I had a fantastic stay at the Hollywood Downtowner Inn last month. Clean room, lovely customer service by the husband who runs the property with his wife. Pool was lovely and clean to use after a long day out sightseeing around LA. Also location great - only 5 mins walk to Hollywood/western station.
Really appreciate that the owners looked after our luggage for us for the day after we found out that we could not leave our luggage at the airport (or train station) and it was our last day in the US before our long flight home to Australia. It's the little things where people go out of their way to help you that really make a difference. Definitely will be staying here next time we are in LA.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margot P

Dear Margot, We sincerely appreciate your thoughtful review.
We look forward to an opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

It's been a couple (a couple plus a couple, actually) years since my four-day stay here, but I was completely charmed by it. My first impression was of a sweet oasis of flowers and warm retro color and architecture. My plane got in early, and the owners were gracious about getting me checked in as soon as a room was available. The room was clean and good-sized, and the only thing I missed by getting in early and snagging first available was a balcony (I'll wait for that next time).

Yes, the neighborhood is a little wobbly (see "oasis"), but, even walking to the Walk and back solo a couple times a day, I had no problems. Stayed alert, but never felt unsafe. Breakfast is minimal, but that wasn't an issue since I wanted a comfortable place to come back to after adventuring, and wouldn't likely have eaten the best of breakfasts at the hotel. The staff was pleasant, and I got to meet some good people sitting out in the courtyard.

The only downside of the entire trip was that I packed look-good shoes instead of feel-good shoes, had shredded my feet by day two, and couldn't find a pair of flip-flops in November to save my soul (in L.A.??? Really??). Great trip, and I would have accepted neutral from the hotel, but instead it made a good trip better. Hope to return one day soon.

Room Tip: Get a balcony
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Loree_Harrell

Dear Loree, Your thoughtful review was greatly appreciated! We look
forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was my second time staying here. I love the location, it's a good starting point for many Hollywood and Downtown L.A. adventures . The rooms are a bit quirky, but that's part of the Hollywood Downtowner charm. The rooms I stayed in, (2 different rooms during my recent stay), were a good size, comfortable and had lots of character. I always enjoy the breakfast choice that's available at the little restaurant a couple of doors down from the motel. Good parking, friendly, family-run business. It's good value for the area and good for people who like something with a bit more heart than your usual uniform motel room. Good local restaurant and shopping choices and good access to public transport, though I find it really useful to have a car in L.A.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Vivienne H
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Vivienne, We appreciate you kind and thoughtful review! We strive to
make our guests feel they are 'home-away-from-home' and getting value
for their expenditure with us. We appreciate your business. Look forward
to your future visits. Happy travels!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is in a pretty sketchy area of town. About a 15 minute walk from the beginning of the hollywood walk of fame. It's a decent hotel for the cost per night (we were on a budget and all the other hotels in hollywood are very expensive). We were able to get upgraded to a suite room with two king sized beds and a full kitchen even though we booked for two double beds. Breakfast was great!
I would suggest this hotel if you're on a budget and not travelling with kids as it is not in the best area of town.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ashley W
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Ashley, We appreciate your thoughtful review. We are delighted that you
were able to see the sights within walking distance. We strive to exceed guest
expectations. Glad you enjoyed the two-bedroom king suite. Happy travels!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This isn't the best place but it's certainly not the worst. I could level a lot of criticism but really, you get what you pay for and this place offers decent value. Just don't expect too much. The free overnight parking (in Hollywood) alone is worth at least $40.

The lady at the front desk is pretty rude and like other reviewers have stated, the front desk is always locked and you have to ring a bell. Which means this is a "mom and pop" place, not professionally managed. So, what do you expect.

The rooms are funky and there's tape over windows and the pool isn't well-cared for. And the bathrooms down at the YMCA are probably better.

But park your car, toss your stuff in your room, and go see the sights. When you come back late, you'll have a decently price place to crash and you can go grab a free taco for breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Joe, We appreciate your review. We strive to provide value for our guests.
Our hotel was built in the '50s and we have made and continue making every effort
to keep the property updated. All the best in your future travels!