“Worst stay”

Hollywood Downtowner Inn
Ranked #163 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Worst stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I paid 100$ for a night not at all worth it.
If you are offered about 40-50$ they stay there else dont bother.
Very old small room,rooms were not painted, taps in bathroom were broken. Terrible breakfast. They sent us to a small hotel nearby for breakfast which was awfully dirty.
1 gud thing is metro train in near by.

Room Tip: Stay here if you get it for 30 - 40$ per night else dont bother
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deepti R
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest Traveler, We appreciate your review. We strive to exceed guest expectations. We include free parking, WiFi, HBO/Cable TV, hot breakfast and in-room coffee at no extra cost to the guest. We regret that we were unable to exceed expectations with you on your visit. Happy travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights (what a waste of my time and money!) with my sister. We are 2 females in our 20s and were given the very front room to stay in. The front room, meaning practically staying on the footpath! My bed was in line with the footpath and the noise at night was TERRIBLE! I understand it's 'Hollywood' and it's not the safest of areas, but I felt SO unsafe that I didn't sleep for 2 nights in fear of the fighting and the noise which was happening right NEXT to my window. There was a small gate out the front of the motel that had no lock or anything so anybody is pretty much free to open it and walk in! The reception desk however was always locked and someone would only open it if you rung the bell...how convenient!

The room smelt BADLY on some sort of nasty chemical and the bathroom was run down, dirty and very old!

Please, do yourself a favour and pay that little bit more and DON'T stay here. Hollywood Blvd. is not what it appears to be on the TV and I am disappointed I found that out the hard way!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bianca T
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest, We appreciate your review. We strive to exceed guest expectations and provide the most value for the guest for the investment they are making. Los Angeles is a busy, loud and Metropolitan city and that is something we cannot control. Happy travels!

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Espoo, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

First of all, everyone has to know, in Hollywood all hotels are expensive. You just have to find which is correct to your wallet & needs. This hotel absolutey fair with their prices, compare what you get it for. True, parking is very necessitous. Late evening you can parking in fron of the hotel on the pathway. Hotel need some renovation, especially bathroom. Breakfast just in the next builiding. We spent 3 nights in room No.1. Windows look to main street, very loud, first night was very hard to fall asleep. I wanted to change, but I decide to try all kind of hotel rooms, while we spent 18days in Arizona & California, so everywhere I accept what they gave to us. Finally, I could recommend this hotel, if you don't want to spend there your daytime :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, We appreciate your thoughtful and honest review. We are glad you chose to stay with us. We hope to see you again. Happy travels!
Youngsville, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

please just take my word for it and DO NOT stay here. The pictures of the hotel that is shown on there website are not really what the hotel looks like. It is severely ran down and in need of an update. The only good thing about this hotel was the breakfast next door. There was even a very soft spot in the floor in the room that we stayed in and we were afraid we would fall through it. I paid for 3 nights and only stayed for 1 night and couldn't get my money back for the other 2. Oh well it was a costly lesson but I will consult Tripadvisor form now on before I book a hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DRR75
Dear Guest, We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We strive to exceed guest expectations with every guest. We are regretful we were unable to do so in your case. Happy travels!
Hemet, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed her with my girlfriend on a saturday night. The location is great a few short steps to the metro that will take you anywhere. The door lock was really weird you had to put the keycard back into the lock to get it to lock and they did not tell us about that. There was oil all over EVERYTHING in the room and by oil i mean like oil that would be used to clean wood, it was everywhere on the TV the lamps, it was pretty nasty i set my phone in it. The woman and man that run the place are very nice. And overall very clean. The breakfast is in a building next to the hotel in a taco shop and is buffet style, it was not the best but the coffee was hot. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Make sure to check that door is locked when leaving
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kylewinton
Dear Kyle, We appreciate your thoughtful and honest review. We strive to exceed guest expectations for a budget price. We look forward to seeing you again at the Downtowner. Happy travels!
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I booked online, my session expired, entered my info again but stupidly forgot to change the date.. so I booked a room for the wrong night!

--CHECKING IN: The male owner, Bharat, was nice enough to let me check in without having to pay extra after we discovered that I booked the wrong night! THANK GOODNESS!! That alone deserves 5 stars. The only downfall to that: all the rooms were booked so we stayed at the apartments next door.

--ROOM *For the apartment room only*: Right next door to Hollywood Downtowner is a small apartment building. You need THREE separate keys to get in. First door gets you inside the main hallway, second door leads you to another hallway with 2 doors, then the third key gets you into the bedroom. I believe the other door was the owner's apartment. It's pretty much a bedroom that he uses as a hotel room with a (comfortable) king bed, bathroom, table and dressers. No fridge or microwave. Hair dryer available. Had to ask for iron + board. It was very clean! We didn't get one of those hotel comforters, but a real, thick comforter! TV had HBO and ESPN channels. It was really cold in there, but there's a heater we left on during our stay. The bathroom was always SO COLD because the windows are the weird type that doesn't close all the way. The bathroom looked exceptionally clean! No balcony =[

It's more of a "staying over at a friends house in the guest room" feel rather than staying at a hotel. I was kinda bummed that we didn't get the hotel room experience because of my mistake, but we got a clean bedroom to stay in and that's all we needed: a place to sleep and shower for just about $100!

We didn't know how to work the TV and Bharat happily came in to help us out. He also kept asking "is everything okay, is this okay for you guys, do you need anything else?" which was nice =]

Free wifi! Which didn't even work for us in the apartment area, but that was fine.

--PARKING: FREE, but very limited parking! I counted about 22-24? When we arrived, there were no spots left but Bharat was able to call his friend who was parked to move his car!

--BREAKFAST: Free REAL breakfast until 9:30am! You can make your own waffles, which I loved. Eggs, potatoes, hash browns, bacon, sausage, 3 types of cereal, coffee, OJ! Be nice and tip the chef because she was cooking all this food alone! During breakfast is when we discovered that the other hotel guests were from all over the world.

--AREA: All the fun, touristy, Hollywood Blvd stuff is about a mile or two away! After checking out, we left the car to avoid traffic and parking fees. Be sure to come back before the next check-in time @ 3pm. It wasn't that bad of a walk and also shouldn't be too bad of a cab fee.

Overall, I'm very happy with the owner being able to accomodate me when it was my mistake. This place definitely isn't the most glamorous of hotels, but if you need a CLEAN place to sleep and shower in a location near all the Hollywood action for CHEAP.. here you go!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erika R
hwdinn, General Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Erika, Your thoughtful, detailed and honest review is greatly appreciated!
We certainly look forward to an opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Happy Travels!
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was excited about this property after all the positive reviews on here. It was only a 1 night stay, but I figured this was better than a motel by the airport. We arrived late, and the parking in the back was very tight. The lobby is tiny and smells of incents. The person on duty was very friendly. We checked into a room which smelled HEAVILY of paint. It was overbearing. It was close to 1am so I didn't ask for a room change, but I wish i did. I did see a "no vacancy sign" so I figured it would be a waste of time. The room was very clean, but that is it. The tv did not work properly (kept freezing), the sheets were worn through and had a hole, and I cannot get over the smell of the paint, it was awful. The tiny pool in the middle is basically for decoration, i doubt anyone uses it. The breakfast is served 2 doors down in a little restaurant, which was ok. The location is about 20 minutes driving from the Chinese Theater, so not close to anything in particular. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karolina516
hwdinn, Front Office Manager at Hollywood Downtowner Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Karolina, We appreciate your candid feedback. We strive to ensure our guests
have a positive experience. We will take into account all of your suggestions/comments.
Happy travels!