“museum teaches you tolerance in their service”

Museum of Tolerance
Go Los Angeles Card
Ranked #83 of 547 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Museum of Tolerance is a human rights laboratory and educational center dedicated to challenging visitors to understand the Holocaust in both historic and contemporary contexts and confront all forms of prejudice and discrimination in our world today.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Lake Forest, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“museum teaches you tolerance in their service”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hands on area and the Holocaust exhibits were fantastic. However, they were very busy and it was very hard to get to use the hands on exhibit due to the amount of people there so we left after only a half hour. If we hadn't been ushered into a group for the Holocaust exhibit, we would not have gotten so much out of it. Another volunteer was leading a company group through and a few of us tagged along.

There needs to be more direction from volunteers/employees as to how the exhibits work. On one floor (there are four levels), there was no one around to tell you how to start through the exhibit. So we went through the family exhibit with no audio information, even though there were tv screens in each section to tell you what is happening in that setting (not on motion sensors). (This is how the Holocaust exhibit is presented, you listen to audio, look at visual, then move on to next setting). So this part of the exhibit and the other 2 floors we felt cheated and did not get the full impact.

Also, the web site does not tell you that you need reservation and that they only let off so many people every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Like most people in this line, we thought you could just arrive at any time and go through it. We had to wait an hour before being let through. They do search your vehicle before you can park underground for free (which was nice). Also they search purses and you have to walk through a metal detector before entering the exhibit. Also, there is no bathroom for "public" to use before you enter exhibit. I had to go and the security guard wouldn't let me go through, so we had to leave the building and find a bathroom elsewhere. However, when we came back a different security guard was letting other people go and come back.

They do have a small cafeteria on 4th floor - but expensive. They have 2 gift shops. They tell you that each exhibit will take 1 1/2 hours each. No photos or videotaping is allowed.

My suggestion - have more volunteers to direct people through the exhibits on different floors and let you know where to start or have guides to take you through it. Overall, I did learn more facts from the Holocaust exhibit

Visited July 2012
3 Thank travelmom1369

• Hebrew first
Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good exhibitions and good museum, poor service..”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The exhibitions, especially the holocaust exhibition are impressive and well done. The Holocaust exhibition was interesting but as it progressed, started to feel somewhat creepy. There were lots of recreations of concentration camp gates and one particular alleyway which segregated men and women (plus children). It felt realistic and because of that, rather scary! My 20 year old daughter started to feel scared because of how cold and realistic the whole place was.

The museum itself is rather pricey too and the staff not very good. It look us at least 10 mins before we were able to be served to buy tickets, not because of a que, but because the lady working at the counter was too busy playing on her computer and talking on the phone to attend to us!

When we finally got into the museum, (after walking through metal detectors and x-ray machines..) we were asked to wait another 10 mins they said in order to give us an orientation before we went on our way to look at the SELF GUIDED exhibitions. the 10 min wait extended into 30 mins and by then, we were frustrated because we had a somewhere to be and had only allocated about 2 hours to this place.

If you look past the poor service and at the actual content of the museum, its fantastic! but the service just really brings it down.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Yapdudes
Scarborough
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Impressive museum with lots to offer”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

There is free parking in the undground parking garage. Before you enter, you need to show your id and pop the trunk. There is plenty of parking and the premises are very safe and well lit.
Once inside, you pay the 15$ and pass through an airport tyoe metal detector. There will be somebody briefly explaining you the museum. There are pictures on the wall of holocaust survivors wo are presently working for the museum and the day I went, I could have had the opportunity to listen to a holocause survivor speak but unfortunately, I had a meeting later on and I missed the chance.
I went through the self-guided holocaust exhibit tour and it was an impressive experience. Even though, I knew its history, I could still appreciate the exhibit as it is done with such great detail. The self-guided tour lasts for about an hour and 15 min. Apparently, there are 2 other exhibits, which lasts just as long but with the receipt, you get the opportunity to leave and come back throughout the day, which I find is pretty neat. I will definitely head back to the museum with more time on my hands; as it is quite a heavy subject and the exhibits are made with some much passion and detail. All in all, it is one of the best museums that I've visited and holds a very powerful message. I can only recommend it.

Visited June 2012