“Another "trend of the moment" place - just okay.”
Review of Cafe Gratitude

Cafe Gratitude
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Gratitude is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #87 of 10,091 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Melrose
Los Angeles, California
“Another "trend of the moment" place - just okay.”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

A friend invited me to breakfast and suggested this place. Once I arrived, I was very disappointed to find that it was 100% Vegan. So, out the window went my dreams of Juevos Rancheros or Eggs Benedict and the like. After considerable time perusing the menu for something that sounded the slightest bit palatable - I settled on the Vegan "Burger" (yes, for breakfast). It didn't knock me over, but it wasnt awful either as long as I buried it in the sauce they provided.

It's a nice looking little place at the quieter end of Larchmont... but I thought it was a bit over priced and a tad pretentious (as these trend of the moment places tend to be in La La Land).

I'm sure the McYoga (aka Yogaworks) people love it but it definitely didnt do it for me.

• Korean first
West Hollywood, California
“My new favorite place. No one else come. I hate waiting!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was looking for something different and stumbled upon the restaurant. It's 100% vegan but don't let that stop you because the menu is varied and weird (except for the names of the entree -- mine was 'I am humble'. I have to stay that my first visit was one of the tastiest meals I've had in a long time.

Los Angeles, California
“I'm Grateful too”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants in L.A. Two locations, one off Melrose in Hollywood and the other in Venice (Rose + 5th St.). Both are always packed. I love the ceviche, made with coconut instead of fish with a tangy citrus sauce, and the soup-of-the-day borscht with faux sour cream was terrific. Organically grown wine is $8-$10 a glass. Not white-tablecloth, but I love this place.

London, United Kingdom
“Hokey Menu Names, But Delicious Vegan”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

You must keep an open mind when reading the menu as the hokey menu names like "I Am Sustained", "I Am Grounded" and "I Am Fabulous" can sometimes get in the way of seeing the beauty behind Cafe Gratitude's food. I have yet to be disappointed by their food, but their silly menu names are another story. "I Am Guapo" (a Mexican Torta sandwich) and "I Am Awesome" (an eggplant parmesan sandwich) are particularly good. Go ahead and Be Adventuresome, you'll be grateful you did!

• Visited March 2013
Manhattan, Kansas
“If only...”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Summary: pleasant location and interior design, fun menu, great people watching. Food quality okay. Table service this time was just short of surly, tables are crammed tight together, parking is challenging and price wise, not exactly a great value proposition. All in all, you'll be okay eating at Gratitude, and maybe have an experience that will bring you back often. I'll return, and generally be okay with it.

Maybe we caught Gratitude on a day when there was little gratitude at Gratitude. While our group of four was wonderfully greeted, the woman who waited our table was, well, let's just say a wee bit cranky. We realize everybody can have a bad day, and other times we've eaten at Gratitude, this wasn't an issue, although staff always seems overcommitted here.

Apart from madame, generally there is a lot to like at Gratitude. Wonderful menu, a great clientele that is fun to be a part of, and it's very pleasant from a comfort and feel perspective. (The only exception to that last comment is that the tables are crammed tightly together, so this can be a bit uncomfortable at times.)

If the high table count is an attempt maximize turn, there is a better way. Simply make table service more efficient. There are very long waits between contact with servers. We could have been happily out of there and freed up our table for the next paying customer in almost half the time. There were instances when we even begged the bus boy for help getting service, but he was so harried, it was sad. This is a people management and training issue. That's why I titled this review as "if only..." With just a bit of employee training, care and management improvement, I expect this would be an even much better place.

Food quality wise, you have to give credit to the people that do menu development. It is creative and fun. You can get the standby stuff for sure. But you can also order something you've never even thought possible before. Quality wise, it's good. The one thing that would make it even better is to lighten it up a bit. Often, food quality can be heavy, and who wants heavy at a generally healthy restaurant.

Summary: go there, read the fun menu, people watch and try something new. You'll be okay, but know not to go there for intimate conversation, as you are seated very close to others, prepare to pay a little more than expected, and go at a time when street-side parking is likely to be more open. And hope and pray that the woman who served us gets her hug the day she goes to work and serves you!

1 Thank fidelrobert