“Hokey Menu Names, But Delicious Vegan”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Gratitude

Cafe Gratitude
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Gratitude is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #86 of 9,888 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Melrose
London, United Kingdom
“Hokey Menu Names, But Delicious Vegan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

You must keep an open mind when reading the menu as the hokey menu names like "I Am Sustained", "I Am Grounded" and "I Am Fabulous" can sometimes get in the way of seeing the beauty behind Cafe Gratitude's food. I have yet to be disappointed by their food, but their silly menu names are another story. "I Am Guapo" (a Mexican Torta sandwich) and "I Am Awesome" (an eggplant parmesan sandwich) are particularly good. Go ahead and Be Adventuresome, you'll be grateful you did!

• Korean first
Manhattan, Kansas
“If only...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Summary: pleasant location and interior design, fun menu, great people watching. Food quality okay. Table service this time was just short of surly, tables are crammed tight together, parking is challenging and price wise, not exactly a great value proposition. All in all, you'll be okay eating at Gratitude, and maybe have an experience that will bring you back often. I'll return, and generally be okay with it.

Maybe we caught Gratitude on a day when there was little gratitude at Gratitude. While our group of four was wonderfully greeted, the woman who waited our table was, well, let's just say a wee bit cranky. We realize everybody can have a bad day, and other times we've eaten at Gratitude, this wasn't an issue, although staff always seems overcommitted here.

Apart from madame, generally there is a lot to like at Gratitude. Wonderful menu, a great clientele that is fun to be a part of, and it's very pleasant from a comfort and feel perspective. (The only exception to that last comment is that the tables are crammed tightly together, so this can be a bit uncomfortable at times.)

If the high table count is an attempt maximize turn, there is a better way. Simply make table service more efficient. There are very long waits between contact with servers. We could have been happily out of there and freed up our table for the next paying customer in almost half the time. There were instances when we even begged the bus boy for help getting service, but he was so harried, it was sad. This is a people management and training issue. That's why I titled this review as "if only..." With just a bit of employee training, care and management improvement, I expect this would be an even much better place.

Food quality wise, you have to give credit to the people that do menu development. It is creative and fun. You can get the standby stuff for sure. But you can also order something you've never even thought possible before. Quality wise, it's good. The one thing that would make it even better is to lighten it up a bit. Often, food quality can be heavy, and who wants heavy at a generally healthy restaurant.

Summary: go there, read the fun menu, people watch and try something new. You'll be okay, but know not to go there for intimate conversation, as you are seated very close to others, prepare to pay a little more than expected, and go at a time when street-side parking is likely to be more open. And hope and pray that the woman who served us gets her hug the day she goes to work and serves you!

1 Thank fidelrobert
Las Vegas, Nevada
“'I am IMPRESSED'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Vegan...Come on...Really !?! I love my steak...love my chicken...love my fish...been trying to eat healthier after 34 years on this planet...this is the ONE restaurant I would choose to eat at if I could only eat at one more restaurant the rest of my life. Not only is it delicious but I feel like I can fly after I dine there. You must order the 'I am Whole'. Also try the grapefruit juice drink. I literally crave this place when I am on the road.

• Visited February 2013
Ceres
“Not a Vegan but WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I had dinner here with my daughter and some friends. I am not a vegetarian or vegan and I was skeptical but thought I would be open minded enough to give it a try.
We arrived just before the dinner rush on a Friday night. Staff was friendly and helpful. I ordered the "I am Humble" Indian curried lentils over brown quinoa, with sautéed seasonal vegatables, sweet potatoes and spinach, drizzled with a spicy mint chutney and sweet tamarind sauce. It was delicious!
By the time we were finished, there was a line at the door and people were jockeying for our parking space!

Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
“I am: Full”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about Cafe Gratitude! It was one of the best experiences I have had while in LA. The service was friendly and our server knew the menu backwards and forwards able to answer any additional questions I had about specific items. I had been given recommendations from several friends of what to order when there and I could tell from the food coming out to other tables that you could not go wrong. I had a starter, meal and dessert and the home brewed (best I had ever had - and I drink a lot of kombucha) kombucha and spent $35 (well worth it). The inside is sleek and modern and the outdoor seating charming. I went on a Sunday evening and the place was packed for hours. Be prepared to hear that they might be out of something since everything is fresh that day and if they are out- they are out. Not to worry, there is PLENTY to try on the menu. The only drawback was that they had on 4 outdoor heaters that made the outdoor patio too hot for me but I am used to the cold and it could've been the Northerner in me. Overall: going again, can't wait, already want to go back tomorrow.