“Good food in a great setting in Studio City”

Black Market Liquor Bar
Ranked #652 of 10,410 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was quite impressed with the food at Black Market Liquor Bar (BMLB). A friend had mentioned this place and then my wife had this place bookmarked on Yelp as one of the places she wanted to try. So for a date night we ventured to BMLB and checked out what the good reviews were about. Note: there is no sign really indicating the restaurant other than the valet stand that said BMLB. It was a bit odd but then when we entered, it all made sense. The decor was impressive with the dark mood setting and the curved brick roof which made you think that you entered (wait for it...) a Black Market. We did not have a reservation but were seated quickly when we got there at 7pm. We were seated toward the back and close to the kitchen. Note: if you are not a fan of heat, you may want to sit toward the front of the restaurant as the heat from the kitchen and lack of moving air made it a bit uncomfortable. To our surprise, we saw a former Top Chef contestant and executive chef Antonia Lofasa expediting the food. I knew we were going to get good food seeing how she competed in the reality show. Our server was excellent and helpful with ordering the food. We ended up ordering the Chicken Bao, Short Rib slider, the corn dish, the mussels, the Korean kimchi wings, and the vanilla bean and Bourbon ice cream for dessert. No complaints about the food at all as for the taste but the portions are somewhat small. And the service is hands down excellent. I wish I could remember their names but our server and a gentleman who may have been the manager were very attentive and friendly. They and the other staff really made the difference for our experience. Even the chef noticed that we were waiting long for our mussels to come out and had sent over a dish of the deviled quail eggs (delicious) to compensate for the wait. Again, impressive. It is rare to go to a restaurant for the first time and walk away with a very positive experience.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

The fried cauliflower was excellent, the Brussels sprouts are phenomenal, the meatballs are incredible, the hamachi tostada was just good. The tequila old fashion was excellent. And everything is even better when you're served by Ryan. So welcoming and hospitable. It's great to have a place in the Valley for fresh oysters! Thank you, Antonia Lofaso!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

The food is amazing. Really yummy. And so much to choose from . We had the chips, the short rib, shrimp and brussel sprouts. We would have stayed longer, but it was Saturday night and at around 7pm, the lights go down and the music way up. It is a bar, after all, but not really conducive to conversation. And make sure you have the address, there is no sign!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We showed up mid week and the host quickly found us a table . We fortunately were sat in the back portion of the restaurant and not at the high top tables that center the establishment. Lake was our server and he offered some great suggestions. Great vibe , albeit a bit loud . smaller portions and prepared for sharing. A bit tricky to find as the building has an aged and worn "motorcycle ad with worn brick facade" it backs to the CBS Radford studio lot. Valets are great and if you decide after eating to grab a drink at the other 5-6 classy bars within walking distance (literally across the street) leave your car here and return later.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

... literally! Wow, we must have driven by this place at least three times, until we parked our car and went on foot. I was determined to find it! I had my iphone navigator on to guide us, so we knew we were close. Even though its on the boulevard, it is nestled between two other businesses, with no significant sign or marquee of the restaurant name. It was well worth it however. The place is very hip! Reminded me of the many cool bars I visited in Manhattan, on my New York trip. The food and wine selection were excellent! I will definitely be returning, now that I know where to go...lol