“Excellent drinks and small bites”

Black Market Liquor Bar
Ranked #616 of 10,140 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

All the weekly special drinks that I've sampled have been absolutely terrific! 90% of the food offerings are also great. Didn't care for the duck tagliateli but otherwise I don't think I've had anything bad here. The vegetarian offerings are especially good (coming from a carnivore!). My only complaint is I think it's a bit loud. I don't like having to yell across an intimate two-top table...

There are newer reviews for Black Market Liquor Bar

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Upon walking in you feel like you're being transported to an old world wine or cheese cellar full of wood and brick. Our servicer, Lake, was close to perfection. He was very personable and knowledgable about the menu. Between the four of us we ordered thirteen items including dessert and shared all of them. There was not one bad dish among the bunch.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My visit was in Dec 2012. The sign on the restaurant is not obvious when you're driving on Ventura so its easy to miss. Parking is metered or they have a small lot that's the first drive way after Carpenter Ave if you're heading West, otherwise park in the next drive way next to LaLa's Argentine Grill (when I visited it was about $3). We had a business meeting so I didn't have to personally fork over $ and it was $$$$$ for 15 of us. I didn't know what type of cuisine to expect however after tasting some of the dishes I say the chef likes to incorporate Asian cuisine and it works! We had a variety of items off the menu and some dishes were outstanding while other dishes fall in the category of "I wouldn't pay that much". We ordered:
Lemon pepper shrimp – large tiger shrimp, maybe it was just our order but it had too much pepper & not enough lemon flavor (it may have tasted better w/white pepper)
Fried cauliflower – surprisingly good. Batter was similar to tempura texture
Short rib slider – big hit, thick patty on a toasted bun
Spicy Korean wings – has good Asian spices topped w/ kimchi cucumbers
dill chips - skip unless your vegetarian
Artisan cheese platter – skip unless your vegetarian
Chicken bao - sadly I didn't get a chance to taste
Oysters - came w/a cute little hot sauce bottle, 1 cocktail sauce and the other dip I couldn't make out
Fluffer nutter - good while its hot, this will sure probably send you into borderline diabetic candidate.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

came here after hearing about it from friends. I tried the spinach baby octopus and it was great.. I also had the muscle and thought it was a little too sweet for me.. I love their beer selection and the ambiance.. it's a great spot .. definitely will be my go to place

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Almost like a Speakeasy if you don't pay attn to the address you might miss it. The menu is varied and the dishes are unusual, experiential and we enjoyed all the things we ordered. Great atmosphere and service was excellent. A must try are the short rib sliders.

1  Thank CaliforniaBrad