“Small, dark, loud, awkward.”
Review of Palihotel

Palihotel
Ranked #121 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed here for business and it just didn't meet my needs. Although the beds are quite comfortable, the noise (from Melrose Avenue, the music in the lobby or other guest rooms) makes getting a good nights sleep difficult. It's cute and quirky when I needed solid and reliable. There are no phones or clocks in the room and you can't control the temp in your room either. And it's REAL dark.

They're trying, but I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank hs88

Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stay in LA at leat once a month and I love the location and boutique feel of the Palihotel! Self parking is easy, quick and cheap by LA standards. Lots of character and fun services; bargin massages, Vanity salon, conveinent PaliKitchen, charming courtyard and fun discount to neighborhood shop. Our stay was great and quiet. This will be the first place I check for our next LA stay.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

This hotel was formerly the Orbit Hostel. It is in a great location - right on Melrose Avenue. Note: don't get this confused with the Pali House on Holloway, also in West Hollywood: the two are completely different! I would say - to be fair - that the owners of this hotel have made it as comfortable and stylish as possible with what they had to work with. Yes, the property is older but it's not terrible; just a different flavor hotel than one might be used to. I got a great deal on the room!

Pros: The hotel is newly refurbished and therefore all fixtures are new. There's a wonderful rainwater showerhead in the bathroom, and the hotel is dotted with stylish and functional places to work, read or surf the net, like the desk area I found in one of the hallways and the parlor adjacent to my room. There is a nice patio area in the middle of the property. Great location: right on Melrose with plenty of shops and cafes around.

Cons: The hotel is very dark and the rooms are painted a dark teal color. The lighting in the rooms is minimal, which is great for sleeping but not so much if you are looking for a place with lots of sunlight. There are no phones in the rooms, which is generally not a problem as everyone has cell phones, but as a woman traveling alone, it would have been nice to have had a phone connected to the front desk for safety issues. There is also no ironing board or iron, but the hotel can furnish you with an iron if you ask. Another thing to note is that the wifi is spotty at best; it was difficult for my iPad to hold a signal in my room. The elevator was not working when I visited, and since I asked for a quieter room and they put me on the second floor, it was kind of a haul to get all my bags where they needed to go.
I would say that the design of this hotel is shabby chic. It photographs editorially very well, and has gained some impressive press in magazines because of it. The hotel had a young vibe, and the guests seemed to be youthful and hip; people who don't necessarily hang out at the hotel all day anyhow with so much to see in L.A. (so perhaps the Pali has found its niche market!).

At the end of my stay when I was waiting in the lobby for my shuttle, a guest approached the front desk saying that her car was missing from the street from the night before, and asked if it had been towed. She had apparently been told that it was okay to park on the street when she checked in. I'm not saying her car was stolen necessarily...but I don't think it was towed. :0(

Room Tip: Street noise can be a problem, so ask for a quieter room - but be prepared to walk the stairs if the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RetroStewardess
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Was there on Feb 2012 for one night stay, overall a basic hotel with very little amenity. You can heard anyone walk or talk in hallway or next room. Like other said, the hall way is dark, and hard to see anything, the room is not much better either, very dark. Central AC only, can't adjust by room. I gave two star because I only paid $100 for one night and it include parking. Not likely to go back there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alohayao
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed in room #104 of this hotel in March 2012, and it was a bad experience overall. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We paid $172 on http://hotels.com, but there are better hotels in this neighborhood for the same price or less.

Some of the problems we experienced were:

1. There was no phone in our room.

2. The building is old wood-frame construction, so we could hear footsteps and noises from the rooms around our ours all night long.

3. There was no thermostat to adjust the temperature (heat or A/C) in our room, so we were too warm all night.

4. One of the three lamps was broken.

5. The street noise from Melrose was too loud, especially because we had to keep the windows open all night (see #3).

6. The bed was sloped so that my head was lower than my feet.

7. The mattress was awful; we both rolled down to a valley in the middle of it.

8. There was a party in the room above ours for several hours from 12am-2am (Sunday night). The hotel staff was unconcerned, and there didn't appear to be any security on site.

9. There is no alcohol anywhere (restaurant, mini-bar, etc), and given #1-8 it would have been nice to have had a drink since we couldn't sleep.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room facing Melrose Avenue, it is too loud.
5  Thank Scott C
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Hi Scott C,
Thank you for your review on Yelp and TripAdvisor. As a brand new location – we are eager to receive feedback from our valued guests. While we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay, we are actively working on addressing several of the issues you mentioned. At this moment, Palihotel has only been open for 45 days and our customer’s experience is absolutely our first priority. We are currently looking into sound proofing options as well as installing individual temperature controls for all of the rooms. We do have overnight security and we have since discussed the proper way to handle any evening noise with our front desk staff. Our alcohol license is also on the way. We appreciate all the feedback we receive and want to ensure you we are working on any and all kinks in our very first months. Again, we apologize that you did not enjoy your stay at Palihotel and if there is anything else we can address or assist you with please contact us at events@palihouse.com.

Palihotel Management

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Pros - Location is ideal to discover Melrose/Fairfax Village/Farmers Market. Easy to reach with transit. No car required. Staff polite and friendly. Comfortable beds and quality linens. Nice designer touches. Complimentary robes. Nice lobby with small boutique feel. Good coffee in cafe.

Raymond called me in advance to advise my room choice not available, and to negotiate options and compensation. Shawn very friendly.

Cons - renovated building. Not new. Dark corridors and rooms due dark green paint choice. Thin walls. Limited breakfast selection. No in-room coffee makers or hairdryers. No closet space. Military-like gray bedspreads. Small room.

I purchased an advance non refundable special rate. If I had paid the posted rates, I would have been disappointed. One night was fine. Don't expect luxury accommodation.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quieter
1  Thank SanDiegobased
Reviewed March 2, 2012

recently renovated, very chic and fashion decoration....
excellent location in the heart of west hollywood
beds and showers are the best!!!!
cool atmosphere, very quiet
very good service....staff is friendly and proffessional, really helpfull
had 4 beautifull days in this hotel

#9 of 19 in West Hollywood
The Standard, Hollywood
The Standard, Hollywood
#16 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Palihotel? Share your experiences!