1,488 results
All reviews rooftop bar ping pong downtown la fun hotel pool party cool hotel west hollywood valet parking staples center waterbed retro dtla
Selected filters
Reviewed June 9, 2016

i depart from the standard downtown today. i have stayed at this hotel several times in the past, and cannot understand how the customer experience could get so bad so quickly.

i woke the first morning i was at the standard and left for the day. i returned to the hotel at 6:30 pm. my room hadn't been cleaned! i called the front desk. they were surprised, and said they would send someone to clean the room. an hour later no-one had shown up! when someone did finally show up, they told me they were not happy that i had disturbed their break! what?????

i then wanted to open a bottle of wine being sold in the room. there was no corkscrew in the room. i called downstairs and was told they would bring one up. never happened. i went to the front desk myself and they said theyd send one up. never happened. i called downstairs again and was told they normally charge for corkscrews but would send one up. i asked how one was supposed to open the bottle of wine if there was no corkscrew and got no answer.

the following morning i spoke to a "supervisor" about my experience. the person didn't care. there was no follow up.

the whole experience to me seemed like no-one cared that i was there, and not one person went out of their way to make me feel special.

i strongly suggest that anyone considering staying at the standard consider pretty much any alternative you can find. this place has become a disaster

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Ryan B, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2016

Hi Marty,

First, I want to thank you for your review of our property. It seems like we really missed the mark here. I completely understand your frustrations as we could all agree that this is not how a reputable hotel and company operates.

I would like to take the moment to address your matters. I apologize we were not prompt in cleaning your room as expected. I will need to speak to the department heads specifically to find out why this was overlooked. It is our mission to provide the best experiences possible and cannot be more apologetic you were not greeted professionally and warmly by our room attendant.

Our mini bar is supposed to provide a corkscrew for the wine. This only makes sense because we do have wine readily available in all rooms. I cannot give an excuse as to why this was also overlooked, rest assured, I will be speaking to the department that handles this stock.

In all, you are special to us and I cannot wish to have you back any more than I do. If you feel inclined, I would like to show you that this was an isolated issue and that we do want to make this right. Please feel free to contact me directly at any time convenient for you.

Again, I appreciate your review and feedback, it is vital to our progression and growth of our business.

I hope to hear from you soon

All the best,

Reviewed May 31, 2016

The rooftop aspect of it is clearly the best one to highlight in the Standard Downtown. Excellent service, entertainment and set-up make it the perfect atmosphere for any given time with a few friends. I would not rate the food as high and the rates per room can be a stopover is some cases; yet I would surely stop here again on my next visit.

Room tip: Book early!
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends

Hi Ivan!

Thank you very much for your review of The Standard Hotel DTLA! We strive to provide the right atmosphere for all of our guests. We find that the mixture of all our guests and staff make The Standard as special as it is.

Thank you again, Ivan! We definitely hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed May 28, 2016 via mobile

The roof top bar was absolutely amazing, however the corridors, the lobby, elevators and whatever else have you werent great or user friendly. The staff werent very friendly and the hairdresser downstairs didnt cater to women!!!
The bed however was pretty comfortable and the room was pretty big, however everything looked super old and rusted.

if your looking for a place for a good night sleep then dont chose the downtown standard.... However if you want to party like there is no tomorrow then this place is highly recommended as the standard brungs the party to you with its rooftop view and amazing drinks.

Date of stay: June 2015
Reviewed May 27, 2016

Okay, here's the thing. The Standard is wonderful for a bar scene. If you are young and single go to the Standard and have a ball. The drinks are great and it is always packed. People go after work in Downtown LA and people from everywhere go there just to have a good time--and it is a great time--a great time to get drunk, but unless you just need a place to crash after, don't stay at the Hotel.
It is really too bad, because we all had high hopes for it. I have been to the bar with co-workers many times, but finally stayed at the hotel and wow was I in for a shock.
The rooms are small and the design is awful. The beds are not comfortable and I am not sure if the lack of furniture is a type of, spare me, minimalism as a art form or just really bad planning. It is a pricey hotel so I do expect, I don't know, a couple comfy chairs, maybe a bathroom that does not have a curtain around the toilet area--call me crazy. Maybe I am old, but I just don't get it.
The room we were in was quite a way from the bar, but none the less, the noise was terrible.
I was really hoping to love this place.
Again, go there to drink and have an appetizer--then go home or to another hotel (the Marriott is near by, go there).

Room tip: Ask to be as far from the bar/ pool area as possible. Really, like, to another hotel far.
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Ryan B, Front Office Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2016

Hi Elizabeth,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review The Standard, DTLA. Having read your review of our property, I apologize you didn't have the experience you were expecting. The Standard properties can be less traditional than your typical hotel. We do strive to offer a different atmosphere, however, I can see how this can miss its mark. I am curious as to what time the noise issue was affecting your sleep. We recently adjusted our rooftop hours to 10:00 PM which would end the rooftop music at approximately 9:30PM. These hours are new as the rooftop was recently open until 1:30AM.

We have many room types, all ranging in different shapes and sizes. I would like to speak to you about these matters in more detail if you feel inclined. The Standard DTLA would most appreciate another shot at showing you that your concerns and feedback is of top priority to us. I am here for you, Elizabeth!

Reviewed May 22, 2016

Friendly young staff. The room had one plastic chair for a couple. I had my wine standing up. Then after a busy long day we dropped onto the mattress. There was a huge platform around it. You can't actually get up if you have bad knees. We both had to tuck and roll to the floor then crawl to the shelf to lift ourselves.

Definitely not for guests over a certain age, even ones that look fit. Not ADA friendly.

Room tip: Make sure you can get something adequately furnished. It's not a modernism issue, it's comfort.
Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Hi Connie,

We at The Standard DTLA appreciate your review of our property! I want to apologize as it seems your experience was not what you were expecting. As a hotel, we truly aim to satisfy those who are staying here with us; we value your feedback.

Our rooms and hotel decor are of a certain design element that may not function as your traditional hotel property. I hope your experience otherwise was great. I am always here for you and any questions, comments or concerns you may have. If you feel inclined, I would like to hear more about these. We appreciate you giving us a chance!