“i will stay again”

Ranked #91 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Hong Kong, China
“i will stay again”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

location is good. quite near a metro station, and there are some good resturants nearby. Macy's plaza is within walking distance.
i'm ok with my room, clean and big. just my freind found her room very noisy and she could not sleep well. there is a bar in the hotel. party everything night

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thanks for the review and we hope you stay with us the next time you are in Downtown Los Angeles!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Let me start off with the positive, by saying that it's a very trendy, eclectic, and upbeat style, boutique hotel, that probably brings in a very young crowd. It understandably makes sense because of the extremely large crowd that it attracts to the roof top bar, which I must say is also very trendy, eclectic, and a must see, if visiting LA, the view is amazing. They also have a ping pong table room that is very exciting as well.

Parking - We started to valet, but the attendant was nice enough to let us know that overnight parking for Valet is $35, upstairs parking is $15, or downstairs is $10. We opted for downstairs, however when I got there, they wanted to charge me $17, I then repeated what the valet said, so he took the $10.

We enter the lobby, which is very impressive. But then when we get to our floor, there are drinking glasses, trays, etc. almost at every door. Now keep in mind, that this used to be an old office building, so the hallways aren't the wide hallways that you're used to. And It probably wouldn't have mattered, except that it looked like an old run down hotel, that was understaffed, that you could barely roll your suitcases down. After getting to the room, I went out to look for the elevator, and there is a gentlemen vacuuming, so not only is it hard walk by from all the dishes, but you have to make sure not to step over this cord that he can't see, because he's around the corner.

The room - I guess they only expect you to stay there one night. Because, they painted real fast, nothing looks like it's there to stay. The mattress, may as well have been on the floor, with NO boxspring, it was on a platform, off center. So if you sat on the left side, it was kind of ok, but if you sat on the right side, your feet don't hang because you have this platform that sticks out about a 1' 1/2" where, it's hard to get out of bed at night, your feet don't touch the floor, and when you come back you basically trip over it. And then if you've forgotten that the platform isn't the bed, (in the dark) you end up sitting on the platform instead of the bed, so don't sit hard. I told my husband that it might have been ok, if it was evenly spaced on each side, then you would have a sort of end table, which they didn't have. The alarm clock was clear across the room, on this table with no legs, near the windows, with no drawers, cords exposed, kinda table. It looked like it was left behind from the old office.

Bathroom - the shower was huge, which seemed to be nice except that the curtain that they probably only wash every couple of months, keeps hitting your body (gross!!) because the tiled side, was only about 1/2" tall, so the curtain had nothing to cling to. The sink was this big huge tub, that was, yes contemporary, but you could probably bathe a small child in, much too big for that bathroom, then the countertop on each side of the sink, was about knee height, so all your toiletries you had to bend over to pick everything up, because the sink was waist height. And each side was only about 1' 1/4", but one side had a hidden recessed trash can, with a tin lid, that could've been mistaken for a ice bucket, it was that small. So you really only had one side to put all of your toiletries, it didn't have enough room for a trashcan. Did the shower have to be so HUGE???

Then to end the day, we went to leave, and the parking attendant, said we had to pay an additional $7 because we were there past 10am, so if checkout is at 12, everyone has to pay the extra $7, thank goodness we had only paid $10 the night before.

Definitely not worth the $220 that we paid!

Room Tip: The suites appear to be nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cucharina
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
We're really happy to hear you enjoyed our ping-pong club, SPiN and our bar and restaurant!
To address your comments about the parking, we don't own the lot outside and below the hotel and we know that their prices do fluctuate - we'll make sure our valet makes people aware of that going forward.
We know our minimalist design doesn't always suit everyone but we appreciate you staying with us during your stay in Downtown Los Angeles.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Perth
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This was our 5th stay at the Standard Downtown LA and it didn't let us down.

We're only ever in town for 3-4 nights layover between Australia and New York, and aren't looking for any Hollywood kind of experience. Great location, rooms are always clean, quite spacious and (most importantly) extremely comfortable bed.

The onsite gym is fine for me (better than the average hotel) but I do also go across the road to the '24 Hour Fitness' at 505 Sth Flower for a full workout; they have reasonable day rates for visitors.

I've read some criticisms of the service from the front counter but they've always been approachable, friendly and helpful. As is the valet parking team.

The Restaurant deserves a special mention; the food is always delicious and very reasonably priced. The layout and decor are super dope, too.

8/10 will continue to stay at the Standard when in LA :)

Room Tip: Best to stay during the week. Weekends get busy and loud with the bar/club (which is cool if you wan...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, September 16, 2014
It's reviews like this that make our day! We can't wait to welcome you back Marika!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I'm a writer for a large travel company, so I'm very familiar with luxury hotels and resorts around the world. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at The Standard and have very few complaints! The lobby areas and common spaces are undoubtedly the selling points for me, with an eclectic, playful and decadent vibe. The rooftop is literally jaw-dropping-- hands down the best I've ever been to in a city. The room was also fun and modern, and I loved the open concept shower. It's probably not suited for a family-friendly vacation based on the room design or party vibe, but what would be the fun there? I'll definitely be returning when my travels bring me back to LA.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
This makes us happy to hear! We'd love to welcome you back - please feel free to reach out directly to make your next reservation. We'll be waiting!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I flew in and out of LA in early June. I flew in to see the Stanley Cup Final game between the LA Kings and New York Rangers at the Staples Center. I picked this hotel since it was about a 1 mile walk to the Staples Center.

The hotel is in an old oil company office building. So, the outside and some of the building feels like an office building. The rooms themselves are nice and clean...sort of a modern Nordic hipster vibe. Rooms were in yellows and grays with IKEA-like furniture. The only issue guests may have is with the bed if they have back pain or problems getting in and out of a normal height bed as the bed in the room is on a platform very low to the ground.

Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I had a very early flight out Sunday and had no problem getting my car brought up at 4AM.

The on-site 24/7 restaurant was good...had a nice dinner with good service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ChipTX
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thanks so much for the great review and we're delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Do come again soon!
Dinuba, California
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here to watch a dodgers game. As soon as we pulled into the valet we where immediately greeted by an amazingly nice staff! The lobby is stunning. The roof top bar was great and everyone even the security is extremely nice. Yes valet was $35 per day but after a long drive like we had it's completely with it. In and out quickly with directions in tow. My only complaint would be I feel like our room was a little small, and we received a complimentary upgrade so I wonder how big our originally booked room was. All in all we would absolutely stay here again. I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in night life because this place has multiple options on site. All of them fun and beautiful and all of them welcoming atmospheres.

Stayed July 2014
Thanks so much for the great review! We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our rooms do range from 300 sq ft to 1,000 sq ft so please do check before you book and we can always talk you through the different room categories to find out which one is best suited to your needs. We hope you come again soon!
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Although is downtown, where actually there is almost nothing interest to see..the hotel is fantastic in all aspects..Rooms, furniture, style, staff, food..and above all the Roof Garden bar. Really exceptional choice..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CAMEX
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, October 2, 2014
What a great review! Thank you so much and we hope you come back again in the near future!