“Simply terrible”

Ranked #91 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Simply terrible”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Not good. If you never stayed in a nice hotel, you will be unimpressed. From the time you pull in the driveway/ lot, lobby is small, dark, and cheap. I don't see how anybody would be impressed. This is an old building with cheap fixtures and decorations. The staff was nice. Supposedly, I was given an upgrade. I can't imagine what the basic room looks like. The hallway way is dull, and creepy. The room looks like they had forgot to put any furniture in it. The mattress was on a raised carpeted structure with no box spring. There was one plastic (patio) chair in the room. Absolutely no art or decorations. No table. The tile in the bathroom looked like it had been there since the sixties. The bathroom had one small sink with no running cold water. The hot was very hot. Only two bath towels and two hand towels. I felt like I was in a hospital room or on a military base. Boring! Please do yourself a favor and book elsewhere. At very least, ask to see the room before you lay down the card. It wasn't even ok.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay somewhere else. Please!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Hi Bob and thanks for taking the time to write a review. Our design is of a minimal nature so I understand that this wasn't to your liking. Please do let us know during your stay if you experience any issues with the plumbing so our engineering team can see to it straight away. Our housekeeping department would always be happy to offer extra towels upon request. We're sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn't what you had hoped for. Please do contact me directly should you wish to return and I'd be happy to take care of your request myself.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed here from the 1st till the 5th of Novemeber. This was our third time staying here within the last couple of years and it's still our favourite of the places we've stayed Downtown. Front desk was awesome and accommodating after our 14 hour flight. Checked us right in and were able to upgrade us to a Gigantic room which was amazing. Really big room with a massive bathroom and hot tub.
Our stay was extremely relaxed, comfortable and without complaint. Awesome location, which we knew already.
I've read some reviews below and really don't understand why, after seeing photos of the rooms on The Standard website or on the third party site they booked through, someone would not know what to expect at this Hotel. The design of the rooms is minimalist and different but very comfortable. There are see through showers in some of the rooms. There will be music and people drinking on the roof top. The staff will be laid back but professional. If you would like a more conventional business hotel with a work desk and lamp and complete silence, The Sheraton is just across the street.
I'd also like to thank the staff member who returned my passport to me which i'd "misplaced" after a few too many the night before. He saved us a massive headache and a costly replacement at the start of our month long hoilday!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thanks so much for the great review and we're always delighted to hear from repeat guests! Our team really care about the guests experience and we're happy to hear that you experienced this first hand. Have a wonderful holiday and we're looking forward to welcoming you back to The Standard, Downtown L.A!
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Fun and friendly staff. Professional service and a quality experience provided along the whole stay - fun designed rooms with a chic personality, fast room service, attentive staff in the lounge and bier garden upstairs. John and the guys in the BierGarden really know their drinks. Thank you guys!

We stayed here 2 days last weekend would definitely recommend to an eclectic crowd that is there for a memorable experience.

Room Tip: Try the beet smoothie if looking for an tasty way to start the morning (or end a late night). Had Th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review and we're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you can come back again soon and enjoy our Winter Cocktail Menu in the Biergarten!
Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Very stylish hotel, trying a bit too hard in places, but overall a nice, fun, eclectic hotel. A classy rooftop pool and bar with waterbed lounges, and a fun black-light ping pong bar.

The platform bed was so low that I practically had to crawl out of it on your hands and knees in the morning. The public bathroom had "Adult" ads to read above the urinals. Just a crazy, unique place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thanks for the review and we're happy to hear you enjoyed yourself! We'd love to welcome you back for your future visits to Downtown Los Angeles.
Florence, Italy
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I've been spending 6 days in LA. I've been using several times The Standard in Miami Beach and have to say the one in LA downtown pleased me as well.
I've been staying in a minimal design, very comfortable large room.
The restaurant is good both for breakfast and dinner.
Nearby, at walking distance, there are alternatively some good restaurants.
The roof bar is great especially on Friday night, with a crowded dance floor. Funny the Spin bar with the Tennis tables!
A very friendly and helpful staff made nice my stay. Bravi!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for the great review and choosing us as your destination when visiting Downtown Los Angeles!
We hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
London
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I would prefer to avoid staying in this part of LA at all, but needs must, I can recommend this hotel. It's a sort of merger between hotel, bar and nightclub, but if you want that, it delivers. Great rooms that are not the usual fare, nice touches all around the hotel and generally a cool crowd.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write a review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back the next time you visit Downtown.
Weed
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed at the Standard Hotel last week for 2 nights. This was not my first visit. I have stayed at this great hotel in downtown Los Angeles several times over the last 5 years.
I always stay at the Standard when I am in Los Angeles because it is so fun. The rooftop bar and pool has the greatest view. There is a new Biergarten with a ping pong table. The second floor now has two ping pong rooms.
There is always music, sometimes dj's and sometimes live music and it is always free to guests.
The restaurant has wonderful food.
The thing I like about the Standard the most is I am always welcomed and treated like I live there. The staff and the service is better than any hotel I have stayed at. I travel a lot and i will always come back to the Standard Hotel. If you have not stayed there, your should.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Hi Mitch and thank you so much for the review! We know that our guests are our most important asset here at The Standard, Downtown L.A and we're thrilled to hear that you are a repeat guest with us. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next reservation and we'd be delighted to take care of you.