“High-style hotel”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #111 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Very stylish hotel, trying a bit too hard in places, but overall a nice, fun, eclectic hotel. A classy rooftop pool and bar with waterbed lounges, and a fun black-light ping pong bar.

The platform bed was so low that I practically had to crawl out of it on your hands and knees in the morning. The public bathroom had "Adult" ads to read above the urinals. Just a crazy, unique place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thanks for the review and we're happy to hear you enjoyed yourself! We'd love to welcome you back for your future visits to Downtown Los Angeles.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,274)

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I've been spending 6 days in LA. I've been using several times The Standard in Miami Beach and have to say the one in LA downtown pleased me as well.
I've been staying in a minimal design, very comfortable large room.
The restaurant is good both for breakfast and dinner.
Nearby, at walking distance, there are alternatively some good restaurants.
The roof bar is great especially on Friday night, with a crowded dance floor. Funny the Spin bar with the Tennis tables!
A very friendly and helpful staff made nice my stay. Bravi!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for the great review and choosing us as your destination when visiting Downtown Los Angeles!
We hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I would prefer to avoid staying in this part of LA at all, but needs must, I can recommend this hotel. It's a sort of merger between hotel, bar and nightclub, but if you want that, it delivers. Great rooms that are not the usual fare, nice touches all around the hotel and generally a cool crowd.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write a review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back the next time you visit Downtown.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed at the Standard Hotel last week for 2 nights. This was not my first visit. I have stayed at this great hotel in downtown Los Angeles several times over the last 5 years.
I always stay at the Standard when I am in Los Angeles because it is so fun. The rooftop bar and pool has the greatest view. There is a new Biergarten with a ping pong table. The second floor now has two ping pong rooms.
There is always music, sometimes dj's and sometimes live music and it is always free to guests.
The restaurant has wonderful food.
The thing I like about the Standard the most is I am always welcomed and treated like I live there. The staff and the service is better than any hotel I have stayed at. I travel a lot and i will always come back to the Standard Hotel. If you have not stayed there, your should.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Hi Mitch and thank you so much for the review! We know that our guests are our most important asset here at The Standard, Downtown L.A and we're thrilled to hear that you are a repeat guest with us. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next reservation and we'd be delighted to take care of you.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This hotel as chosen for our meeting, so I was a little reluctant at first but as it turned out, it was a chic and fun hotel. From the moment we arrived, there was a fun and trendy vibe, with funky music pumping in the lobby. The room was interesting, once we got used to have the shower being right in the middle of the room and if you forget, which I did on the first night, you might be giving your neighbors across the way, a free show. But, it was roomy and quiet. Conveniently located to great bars and restaurants, for late dining. There is a Starbucks right across the street, which was well needed after my morning work out. The hotel gym had everything you need, which was a huge plus for us. The rooftop bar and club was fun but it was so packed, trying to get a drink or a seat was difficult and the bar service was not good at all. Once we headed over to the other side of the roof top, called the beer garden, we found a huge open table, bought a brats dog, drank beers and kept ourselves warm under the heating lamps. The service was much better on that side. We walked the streets of downtown the next morning and there was so much to see...from architectural, to places to eat and even went through the library. Our team met for a drink at the upstairs bar, where the table tennis matches were going on and large groups of people were screaming and having fun playing ping pong! That was interesting! But my favorite thing was the fuse-ball table in the valet area, which was a great distraction, while you wait for your car. This hotel has a lot going on, and you will enjoy it, if you're into all of that! I could imagine myself coming back! If quiet is your thing, you might not want to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! It sounds like you had fun during your visit! We hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I love going to the Standard Rooftop. Reasons why I love this bar is 1. great view of the city 2. heated lamps/fireplaces 3. plenty of seating 4. beer garden 5. live DJ on certain nights... why 2 stars? Every staff I've interacted with have been rude, and full of themselves. They rip you off by giving you high prices when you book last minute. The service is awful, and you have to wait forever for a drink. The door people at the front are rude and you have to wait in line forever because they let people cut in line if you tip them $30+. I would STILL come here though for their rooftop but I would rather cab it home then pay the outrageous prices for a tiny room and bad service. PS their red velvet waffles are amazing for brunch.

Room Tip: don't try to get a room at the front desk. Make sure you book prior for better rates.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JanetL111
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Hi Janet and thank you for visiting The Standard, Downtown L.A. We're very concerned to hear of your remarks about our staff.
As with any hotel, if you book in advance, the rates can be better than if booked last minute but we will always do our best to offer a great rate. Should you have any issues with service whilst you are here, please do let a Manager know during your stay.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at the Standard during my last US trip, and I really find it hard to understand how can you run a hotel, which you really consider to be a club or smth, meaning that the rooms and their guests are becoming a secondary addition to your local bums, ahem, partygoers who come to the rooftop? As people mentioned, the pool area is so seedy from these parties, I would not touch those cabanas with a 10ft pole. And hey - I really do not know any place which serves champagne cocktails in PLASTIC glasses? What is it, a school canteen? The room floors are so stained, you would think pets are allowed in there. And the staff, well, you figure quickly that being a wannabe should count as a proper illness. Good luck running this joint.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank no_nonsense_12

We're sorry that your stay with us wasn't to your expectations and I'll try to address your concerns individually.
Our rooftop has always been open to the public as we feel that everyone should get to enjoy our spectacular views and bar. Please be assured that our Cabanas are cleaned several times a day.
Any hotel serving drinks by a pool will have to serve them in plastic glasses due to Health & Safety concerns - we wouldn't want any broken glass and injuries to occur.
Our rooms are Pet Friendly and small, well behaved dogs are allowed, however we do deep clean the rooms and carpets upon every pet departure.
Our staff are an experienced, passionate team and pride themselves on great service without an attitude and we're sorry to hear that this wasn't to your liking.
We are not a traditional hotel brand but there are plenty in Downtown Los Angeles should you wish to try a different style when you are next in the city.