“First timer. Won't be the last.”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #91 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
“First timer. Won't be the last.”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Staying at The Standard was a great experience, but T Elliot made it even better. The service was excellent in all aspects, from the front desk, valet, housekeeping, room service, restraunt, bars, and especially at the pool. We were treated like VIP guests and I truly enjoyed my stay. Will definitely return and recommend to others. Thanks again to T Elliot for the extra perks.

• Stayed June 2013
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
We love welcoming new guests to The Standard, Downtown L.A! Thanks for coming to try us out and we're looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future! We now have a Happy Hour from 4-7pm on the roof, in the restaurant and in SPiN, our ping-pong club. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is terrific. The location, service and the restaurant is outstanding. While the rooms look like circa "Jetson's" (some have showers in the middle of the room), they are very comfortable and relaxing. The rooftop is a lot of fun by day and night. The chef will sometimes create a special dish for your table upon request. I believe that this building used to be the old Carter, Haley, Hail retail building in L.A. The old charm is still there but the modern look and feel is most definitely L.A. The price is very reasonable too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for the review Kristin and we hope we can welcome you again the next time you visit Los Angeles!
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The biggest problem in the rooms is that the shower is made of glass, and you can take the shower only when you are alone. The car park is small. The swimming pool on the roof is cold and dirty. There are no restaurants, so you have to search for the nearest restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank intro27
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We're sad to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Our showers do come equipped with shower curtains and also modesty screens are available should you be sharing a room with friends.
Our pool is heated and was emptied, resurfaced and cleaned just over a week ago so I'm very surprised to hear your review on this.
We do have access to 2 car parks on property and we have valet parking available for our guests as well.
The Standard, Downtown L.A features a popular restaurant which is located near the entrance to the hotel. It is open 24/7 and serves delicious upscale diner style cuisine. Should you want lighter bites, we also serve great snack food in SPiN, our ping-pong club on the 2nd floor, refreshing plates in the rooftop bar and german sausages and pretzels in the Biergarten, also on the roof. Hopefully when you come back you will be able to experience our various food and beverage choices throughout the hotel.
clovelly
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 7 nights so got a real feel for the place. Staff friendly but rooms a bit minimalist. Not even a shower cap comes as standard. Had to ask housekeeping twice for towels as only one left (who does that in a double room when they can see 4 suitcases!) The rooftop bar is a must but very crowded on weekends. Great view over DTLA.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for the review and for spending your stay in DTLA at The Standard! Sorry to hear you had a towel shortage - we will make sure this doesn't happen again! I'm glad you enjoyed the bar and our beautiful views over Los Angeles. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Southampton, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Last weekend we went to a wedding in downtownL.A. and all were staying at Standard. We booked a WOW size room thru jet setter. I had heard the hotel is noisy and I guess that is why they give you ear plugs! The hotel,in general, needs a face lift. The common areas need repainting and the floors where the hotel rooms are smell of dirty feet and combo of cleaning fluid. We were inn several floors and experienced same on all floors. We knew it was going to be noisy due to the roof top area and requested room in back of hotel. SUggest if you stay here that you do same and not above the 6th floor. Our friends were on 10 and said they had no sleep. The room wasn't vacummed and the bathroom not clean enough from last guest. We'd leave at 8 am and come back late afternoon and every day had to call housekeeping to have our room cleaned.
This sounds crazy but the only things we did like were the beds and the amazing coffee! The restaurant is also quite good for either breakfast or lunch. Suggest staying in Hollywood or Beverly Hills as it has a warmer atmosphere. Downtown L.A. is no where land..
on Saturday nights it is packed with young Californians waiting to get up to the roof garden where the party rocks until 1:30 AM!

Room Tip: back of hotel and on 6th floor or below due to the extreme noise on most nights but horrible on Satu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Patricia and thank you for reviewing us after your stay. I'm very sorry to hear you experienced some problems with housekeeping and we are looking into why this happened. Do contact me directly for your next reservation and we'll make sure you have a great experience on your return!

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Trying to find a decent place to celebrate a birthday in LA is hard task but someone's got to do it. I spent time researching places to celebrate my friend's birthday but found through UrbanDaddy regarding SPiN. I remembered watching Project Runway and I was really thrilled that they opened one at the Standard.

I actually wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so based on my research and phone calls to the awesome people at the Standard; my friends and I decided to go to SPiN first and then if we had time go up to the Rooftop.

Standard's website was really easy to navigate. I contacted the information on the Website for SPiN and the Rooftop/Standard. It brought me to Emily and Nicole.

SPiN: Emily is the Maitre'D of SPiN and she helped me with making reservations. She was really nice even if we were late about 30 minutes. I had the reservations for 2 hours but only ended up using 1 hour of playing Ping Pong. I think 1 hour was enough since most of my friends were ready to leave and 2 of them were playing Billiards downstairs in the lobby. The price of drinks was reasonable and our Ping Pong balls were replenished every time we ran out (which was pretty quick since we all were bad at it).

Lobby of Standard:The Lobby was very modern. For some reason, it felt like a playground for young adults. There was a billiard table, a ping pong table, and foosball table. I wonder if they had a air hockey table I would’ve loved that!

Rooftop: Nicole from reservations was very helpful. She was very informative regarding the Rooftop and especially provided more information than was needed esp. about the pool parties during the summer weekends (must go next time :D). Unfortunately, the hotel doesn’t provide reservations for tables or what not but the promoters do. In addition, unlike some other establishments there is a $20 cover for the whole night. Pfft. why not change it where you can get it in for free before 10:30? I guess I can’t complain since I did get in for free since we came so late. The music was good and the crowd was good. It’s downtown and not a major Hollywood crowd, but still has the LA Vibe. The highlight of the night was the Hershey kisses waterbeds next to the pool. Could sleep in that all day!

Overall would come back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thanks for the terrific review and our team will be delighted that you were so happy with the service you received. Do come back again soon and enjoy one of our fantastic pool parties!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was with a few friends on Saturday night and we hit up the Standard. The line to the roof top bar was a bit long so we played ping pong at Spin before going upstairs. Spin is very nice, I've never played cosmic ping pong before and didn't realize it was so fun. They also had some good beer on tap too. After a while we made our way up to the bar, it's a great place to hang out on a summer night. The pool looks amazing even though no swimming is allowed. The waterbeds are very fun to say the least. I think this is the only place in DTLA that charges cover, but I think it's definitely worth it and I'll be back again one of these days.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Reggie and thanks for the review.
Firstly, we delighted to hear that you had such a good time at the hotel and got to experience SPiN - our awesome ping-pong club!
The night you came, we had just finished having our pool resurfaced and so we had to wait until it was safe for our guests to swim in. We absolutely encourage people to swim in it, so next time you visit, jump on in!
Finally, we don't always charge a cover - sometimes we have promoters hosting events on the roof - but otherwise there is no charge to get to the roof.
Come back again soon Reggie!