“Brilliant place to stay... Central to most things, very friendly and funky rooms.”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #111 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed March 24, 2013

There were mixed reviews prior to making the booking... but I have to say this was a brilliant place to stay ... My first time in LA and it was hard to pick a location - this was great ... Location. Staff. Rooms - a bit quirky but very nice... Views great from the roof top. Try The Downtown - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay! Downtown L.A is a great place to visit and the view from our Rooftop bar is certainly something to enjoy. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,282)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at the Standard Downtown LA and it was well worth it. The iconic architecture and decor put me back in time to another era.

The service staff at the front desk were efficient, courteous and prompt. The female front desk have good fashion sense as they outfits were from styled right out of the 1970's. Fashion Supreme!

The rooms were comfortable. I liked the decor of the rooms and the shower set up.

I ate most of meals at the hotel's restaurant called "The Restaurant". The meals were excellent and the service was good. There was one occassion my server was not as prompt in attending to me, but she comp'd my beer to make up for it.

But of course, the hotel's main attraction the rooftop pool. A great place for partying and having a good time...however...two words of caution. The hotel is located in downtown which means from time to time the sun will be blocked out by the shadows from the taller nearby office towers. Second is that the pool area will get very extremely crowded mid-afternoon. So therefore I advise to get to the pool at noon and claim your spot on the deck before the masses of people come in mid-afternoon.

I would definitely stay here again on my future visits to LA.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

We're always happy to hear great reviews so thank you for taking the time to write. The Rooftop Bar and 24/7 Restaurant are fun places to eat, drink and take in the views of Downtown L.A. When you come back make sure to visit SPiN - our new Ping-Pong club! We're looking forward to welcoming you next time.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here for a night during Grammy weekend and I booked it on Orbitz. It is a very hip hotel and it definitely caters to the 20-30s crowd which I am a part of. One thing about this place is it isn't well marked so you may miss it when driving in. There is also valet parking which you will pretty much need to do in that area. If my memory is correct it is around $30 a night so it's not cheap. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. When I got there, I was informed that I was getting upgraded to a top suite. The room was very spacious and the platform bed was superb. There's a rooftop hangout area which was nice but I didn't spend too much time there since it was really chilly in LA. The restaurant was good. I had the lamb for dinner and then a great eggs/bacon breakfast the following morning. This is a great hotel to hang out and party in since the rooftop becomes a night-club. Also there is a ping-pong night-club that gets a lot of folks. I had a great time shooting the breeze with some of the security guys as well during all of this. The hotel will allow you to bring an outside friend or two into the night-club areas for free which is a big plus.

Room Tip: There's a CVS not too far away so you can grab drinks and snacks for the room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here because there was a concert nearby over the weekend and we also wanted to lounge by the pool in the mornings and have a great time - mission accomplished. The room was very clean, quiet and spacious. The decor was minimal, and mostly white. We had a great time lunging at the pool before heading out to the concert in the morning/early afternoon. The service was excellent at the front desk and on the roof. The bar on the roof is probably what the hotel is most known for -- a great place for happy hour and to enjoy the skyline as the sun sets nearby.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Be ready for something different in this hotel. Checked in and got a room that was decorated with mod sixties style wallpaper and bedspread on the futon style bed. The shower had clear glass walls and was basically in the bedroom. A basket of goodies included Wrigley's gum and Trojan condoms. This hotel is located in downtown Los Angeles and if you take the escalator to the rooftop bar, it's a trendy place with very laid back outdoor seating and good looking people. Be ready for the dress code or they won't let you in, leave those flip flops and t-shirts in your room!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent location in downtown LA. The hotel is very trendy. Service is good, very friendly people. The rooms are large and clean. The rooftop bar us a hotspot. Very popular. The pool is very crowded.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We came to this hotel for a party atmosphere so I can't really complain. But this was just not what I expected for the money and the brand. I've stayed at the Standard in NY and it was a TOTALLY different experience.

We actually stayed in a suite while we were there. I work in interior design and can appreciate the vision and the minimalist feel to the rooms, and by no means is the decor or the room inexpensive. The design is very modern and beautiful. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. Though, there is very little privacy in the room so you better be VERY comfortable with whom you're staying.

But as nice as the hotel room was, there was very little sleep to be had. This hotel is a full on party hotel, and pretty loud all through the night, which is fine because that's what we were there for. The roof top has a pool and really is a ton of fun, we really had an awesome time, but somehow the fun doesn't stay up on the roof. Its in the whole hotel...ALL...NIGHT...LONG. (I guess I should have suspected this when I saw that they have a restaurant called 24/7.) It is a very young crowd that frequents this hotel and by no means is it sophisticated. The partying goes on in the rooms as well as on the roof well into the night. So if you're hoping to get some sleep, you had best bring some ear plugs.The music and noise in the hallway is loud and always on. We actually just got so exhausted we wound up putting a towel under the door to try to muffle the noise.

If you're looking to go party with your friends and have an awesome stay up all night wild out kind of time, than this is ABSOLUTELY the place to go. Seems like it would be perfect for a bachelorette party. It is a lot of fun, and if that's what you're looking for then I would definitely recommend it.

But if you're looking to have a relaxing sophisticated time at an upscale hotel, I don't think this would be the best place to go.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends