“SO MUCH FUN!!!!”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #111 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Generally I hate city hotels (born and raised in NYC). And definitely have a thing against boutiquie places. But really enjoyed my stay here. Staff was so nice and helpful! They guy who checked us in remembered us on the way out. Impressive when there are 100s of guests. I can't ever even remember my room number. Pool bar was a blast. Was there during the day, and went back at night after a concert. There was a pool party going on, and staff had no problem helping us get our wrist bands (even though we were a little brain dead having been to a concert). I am not sure how we spent $600 at the bar - but guess that's what happens when you spend $600 at a bar (even in LA). Stay here and have a great time!!! Oh and my BF realized that the bar is where "Crank" was filmed. V Impressive. BTW - just gave a v good for value because the hotel is generally expensive (actually not too bad considering the Days Inn charges a buck 50), but was able to get a really good rate online. Also should say that online site booked us twice but staff was able to take care of that without any problem. Thanks "check in guy."

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,274)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel's location is very convenient if you need to be in Los Angeles and want to avoid the craziness around Hollywood Boulevard.
The rooms are nice and big and the other facilities in the room are nice. A lot of hotels have rather small workspace areas, but my room had a nice big table than ran the width of the room.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast in the restaurant downstairs was very good.
If you want to "people watch" it's quite amusing on a Friday or Saturday evening, as the hotel's rooftop bar, which has featured in several films, is very popular.
I'd quite happily stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I read lots of prior reviews on Trip Advisor so I knew exactly what to expect when we arrived. Spent 3 nights here and LOVED it! The staff is absolutely fantastic and we loved the modern furniture in the lobby, ping pong lounge and 24 hr restaurant. Our room was HUGE, all open of course and minimalistic, but again, what I expected and totally added to the vibe of the hotel. Wouldn't want to stay with someone you weren't comfortable with as the curtains to the bathroom leave little to the imagination, but the bathroom itself was huge with a large shower and large bathtub! My favourite part was the roof of the hotel - I wish it had been warmer for our weekend or we had more time just to enjoy the roof. Awesome lounge chairs and bar and pool, would be such a great place to spend an afternoon and night with friends.

Overall, definitely want to return to enjoy more of this totally unique hotel! I would recommend it more for the younger crowd though, it is a party spot and open to the public, so if you're looking for low key, this definitely isn't what you're looking for.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This hotel has 2 parts. There is the cool hip part of being in an old building with a barber shop in the lobby a table tennis bar, a roof top bar, pool and beer garden. The steps up to the pool have caution wet steps sign with a stick figure falling holding a martini glass. The trash cans have a stick figure throwing up and the sticker on the toilet paper has a stick figure pooping.
The other side of the hotel is the part that you have to live in. The bed is just a mattress thrown on a concrete slab on the floor. You will probably end up kicking this concrete pad in the middle of the night if you go to the bathroom. Also, if you are over 40 it is no fun trying to get out of the bed. There is no artwork on the walls or any decor to speak of. There is really no furniture in the room except a chair at the desk. There is no easy outlets to plug into near the desk and trying to get online is awful. The internet at this hotel is one of the worst I have had.
DO NOT share a room with someone here. I would not even want to share with my wife. There is no privacy in the bathroom at all. It is bad enough that I look out of my window and look right at a patio bar of another building, but the shower has a glass wall so everyone in the next building can watch you shower. And the only privacy you have when you have to use the toilet is a thin shower curtain. I have stayed in hotels with glass showers before, but they had the electric glass that would frost with the flick of a switch. I looked everywhere for that switch, but it was just basic glass.
The staff was good at observing the do not disturb signs, until someone went floor by floor and stole every do not disturb sign.
The mini bar was the most stocked of any mini-bar that I have ever seen. It even had bubble bath, which confused me since I did not have a bath tub. Foam Party maybe?
The staff at the front desk was always helpful. One of them was even from my neck of the woods in Tennessee.
The area was not bad. Forget about the bars in the hotel unless you are a total poser. There were a couple of good sushi places near by and a few good bars. The daily grill next door is nice.

I hope this review was helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank setcarp
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My best friend was turning 50 on June 23, 2012 and she wanted to go to LA for a weekend of going to museums and sitting by an outdoor pool in the sun. I wanted her birthday to be special so I spent hours researching well designed hotels with nice outdoor pools in LA in the neighborhoods that interested us. As you can imagine, I had a lot of great options. I chose the Standard Downtown for its fun and creative design and its rooftop pool.

So, imagine my disappointment when we arrived on Friday night and learned that the pool would be closed to guests all day on Saturday due to a private party. Following this news we were assured there would be a pool party on Sunday and this one we could attend. We wanted some quiet time by the pool so we asked when it opened on Sunday in hopes that we might be able to lounge poolside prior to the pool party and learned it didn’t open until 11:00, at which time the pool party began. The entire three nights we stayed, there was a constant parade of people night and day who were not in fact staying at the hotel but who occupied the rooftop where the pool was located. There was no barrier between the bar and the pool and there was no opportunity to just lounge or go for a swim. Furthermore, all of the chairs were occupied by visitors with no special area for hotel guests. As guests paying more than $300 per night, we had no exclusive access and, in fact were denied access for 1/3 of the time.

But that wasn’t the only disappointment. The room where we stayed smelled like cigarette smoke and some sort of synthetic spray. The bathroom was damp and moldy smelling and there was no apparent ventilation. The sheets on the bed were course with a few noticeable gray spots and there was a small hole on the bottom sheet near the pillow that appeared to be a cigarette burn. I felt a little itchy at times during the night and I awoke with two bites on my leg in a line that I worried might be bed bugs. I’ve never had bed bugs before but these were not mosquito bites and so I prepared myself for the worst. We did request a sheet a change and the sheets were cleaner looking the second time. Fortunately, I didn’t get any more bites.

I know you’re thinking I should have checked out right away but I didn’t want to spend time during my friend’s 50th birthday weekend looking for another hotel at the last minute and negotiating with the very unhelpful people at the front desk to get a refund. When we did check out at the end of three nights, no one asked “How was everything?” They didn’t seem the least bit interested in the customer experience at this moment or any of our moments there.

I wrote a letter to Andre Balaz properties more than 6 months ago and never received a response.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank GWindB
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel is so tacky and dirty, it is an embarrassement to the brand. Given that I live in NYC and frequent The Standard there I thought I would be safe using The Standard in LA. Horror of horrors it feels like the inside of an old worn out night club when someone turns the lights on. I don't think I would"ve dared walk on the carpets or bath in the bath. It just feels like a has been party place. The staff were nice and friendly and I feel sorry for them having to deal with disappointed guests. I checked out wihtout spending a night as couldn't bring myself to stomach the place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank carmel22
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Although this is certainly a place for young people, we did enjoy it immensely! Upon arrival, we checked into a room I did not like at all. The bathroom was fitted out for a wheelchair with no place whatsover to put your toiletries. However, we were swiftly moved to another room with a perfect view. I do like the interior design of the hotel, the minimalist style and the exuberant colors in the lobby and the restaurant. In fact, the bed is huge and it has been one of the very best I ever slept in.

Staff in the breakfast restaurant were very polite and helpful and the eggs benedict really are amazing. The absolute highlight however is the rooftop lounge. It is quite noisy in the evening, but absolutely great for lounging away with a cocktail in the afternoon.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple