“The WOW room was....WOW”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #101 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We were very fortunate to get our rooms upgraded from the Huge to Wow and it was a great treat. The bathtub alone was worth it- we had just come from a 5 day dive trip and were pretty worn out. At 6' 2" it is awesome to be able to finally stretch out full length in a tub. This is just the kind of whimsical (giant foam foot dominates the bathroom like an artifact from Lost) place where you and your partner will not want to get out of bed and rely instead on their great room service. Who CARES what there is to do in LA!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 23, 2011

My family stayed here two nights while taking our older sons to college. Since my oldest is a junior, we've stayed at several hotels downtown throughout his college years. This was the first time we've stayed at the Standard however, we we all agreed that this was our favorite by far.

Check-in (using a voucher) was a breeze, and after our long drive (arriving around 9 PM) the concierge helpfully pointed us to a fabulous Mexican restaurant (Mas Malo) within walking distance -- lots of vegan and vegetarian choices there as well, and a salsa flight that lets you sample a variety of delicious salsas.

The rooms are fun and minimalist. My sons liked that they could see a movie projected on a building across the street from their window on the 12th floor. Amenities are minimalist as well -- Kiss My Face toiletries, which are very expensive and organic, but some might be turned off by the "earthy" fragrance-free fragrance (you'll know what I mean if you smell the soaps). The rooms had robes and hairdryer, and that was about it in the way of room amenities.

Breakfast was fresh and delish, albeit pricey -- eggs benedict, pain au chocolat french toast, build your own omelets, and I think you could get bloody mary's and mimosas too.

My younger son loved the waterbed pods around the pool almost as much as the pool itself ; do keep in mind that no minors are allowed in the rooftop pool area after 7 PM. Then the pool/bar area becomes a fun scene on weeknights as it fills with business folk hanging out after work. My husband and I had a nice time chatting with a friendly pair of locals while sipping mojitos.

Overall, I don't think the Standard thought of us aging baby boomers when they did their marketing plan, but my husband and I didn't feel like fish out of water at all, and we ended up having a lot of fun during our short stay. We found everyone on the staff to be gracious and welcoming. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sfo_stepho
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My husband and I flew from Florida to stay one night. We actually booked the wrong location. We meant to book the one in Hollywood. Once we realized it, we tried to call the one in Hollywood but they had no available rooms so we had no choice. No problem, we thought.

We drove up to the hotel valet and they told us to wait a minute. 20 minutes later, no help. We finally had to go ask for help.

Girl who checked us in was very nice. Hotel has some chic, unique decor however, rooms were alright. No coffee machine, no hair dryer..hallways smelled like smoke and evlevators were old.

Checked out roof top bar, pool is cool but bartender wasnt friendly at all.

Checked out at 7 am, we booked a deal for free gas card and parking. Once we inquired about the deal.. The gentleman at the desk said he could not give us the gas card, we would have to wait 15-20 minutes or he could send it to us. We asked if he could just take it off our room. He said no and quoted, he had no way of compensating us, "I mean, it AIN'T comin outta my pocket."

Really? We smiled politely and said send the card, that will be fine. Who knows if we'll ever get it

Whole experience was terrible and hotel is totally over priced. Will never go back!

We drove up to the hotel valet and were asked to wait a minute. 20 minutes go by, sitting in our car.. no help. My husband went and found someone finally. They parked

• Stayed: August 2011
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

We take a lot of pride in our quality of service and are sorry to hear that this was your experience - all of our staff should have done everything possible to make you feel welcome and give you a great stay. I'm glad that you had a pleasant check-in and enjoyed some of our decor. It's true our elevators are a bit old, they're one of the very few remaining structural details that were original to our building that we've integrated into our modern design elements. If you haven't received your gas card yet, you should any day now - please follow up with us if it hasn't arrived by the end of the week. Apologies that your stay was disappointing but thank you for your feedback - it's always appreciated and helps us see where we can do a better job for our guests.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

Visited the Standard Downtown LA for a stay during the X Games. Had heard a number of great things about the hotel from friends. Can honestly say...ehhh. I stayed in a room that was actually quite large. The overall design aesthetic was great. However...it seemed like they focused so much on the design, they failed to focus on simple things like CLEANING and MAINTENANCE. My room was simply rough around the edges. All of the white furniture was dirty and scuffed. The desk wasn't cleaned well, nor was the floor in the shower.

Also, given the size of my room, the distance from the bed to the TV warranted a larger TV screen than I had.

Main lobby and roof bar were a scene. Had a great time and descent drinks. I only had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. It was fine. Like that overall old school diner vibe.

Overall, this hotel was "whatever" there are several others in the area at which I'd rather stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ATLHotelLuva
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The Standard is a ironic funny hotel, that dare to do things a bitt different and it works. To convert an old office building to a 4-star hotel downtown LA can be challenging, but I think The Standard suceed. Service is good, rooms are odd but nice, rooftop bar and pool is a killer and the food is good. We`ll be back and most certainly try the other sister hotels in NY and Miami when the opportunity comes.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I have stayed at plenty of what some call boutique hotels and what I call design hotels including the Bleibtreu Hotel in Berlin, Clift in San Francisco, Arena Hotel in Amsterdam and a few others so like this type of hotel. Price was reasonable for this hotel as booked early and as part of travelocity deal so came to under 600 dollars for 4 nights over a summer weekend.

The location in downtown in Los Angeles is both nice and a hindrance as downtown LA during the weekend is a dead zone other than this hotel. Was able to get nice breakfast at the Nickel Cafe and also a good brunch at Bottega Louie.

I got a standard/Medium room which was plenty big enough for myself and the room came with free wi-fi though it was a bit slow as got around 11mbps. The bed was comfortable though only one side had place for clocks. Service was good though did have issue as first room smelled of recent smoking and my keycard kept failing so had to go to front desk multiple times to reswipe.

This hotel is for couples and young people as do not bring kids or a friend unless you like the idea of watching your friend shower in the completely open shower(glass with no way to hide view from bed.). Did not check out fitness center.

The rooftop is happening with many 20 somethings and the people they attract. I am from New York so prices were reasonable. Being hotel guest gets your priority access though they still require you to get a wristband from bouncer out front.

Did not check out 24 hour diner but menu looked nice though a bit overpriced. There is no complementary breakfast as judge many people in hotel do not wake up before 10am anyway. If bring car park at self parking lot with entrance on hope st instead using valet on flower st.

If looking for place to party in LA for weekend or a business man who wants to be trendy this hotel is a good option in downtown LA but just remember leave the kids at home and make sure friends get separate rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Worst experience ever. After paying for two nights in a Wow Suite as well as five other rooms for my birthday not only was I treated poorly but several items were stolen from my room while I was out and not only was I not compensated in any way through their insurance, but the front desk manager and security manager were completely rude about the whole thing...as if I wanted my laptop, ipod and sunglasses stolen on my birthday.

I had planned on giving the hotel a poor score due their customer service in planning my party, ie: they would not let me order catering from their menu because they said I didn't call far enough in advance but I had been leaving messages for two weeks without a return call. Also, another time I called to coordinate rooms, the woman practically hung up on me and said they were too busy at the time and to call back later --- right in the middle of our conversation!

Needless to say, I wish I would have read the other large group reviews before planning my 30th here. It seems as though everyone has the same issues. So not only did I lose thousands in room rentals, but I also lost roughly $1500 worth of stuff, and was treated like crap.

NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.