“Hip and cool.”

The Standard Downtown
Ranked #97 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I tried the Standard after recommendations from the younger travelers in our office. Yes, very upscale, hip and a destination place. Staff are very professional and courteous, always friendly. I usually stay in the more traditional hotels (Hilton, Westin, Sheraton, etc) but wanted a change of scenery. The room was nice, open plan, minimal walls. Lighting was good, felt comfortable. No coffee in the room. Bed was GREAT, very comfortable. AC was quiet and kept the room (man) cold. You should like the moderne look and feel though. Roof top lounge was good, food good, too. C.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed June 28, 2011

We were charged for items from the Mini Bar that we never opened/touched. We left the Mini Bar key at checkout in the room and were subsequently charged for items missing out of the Mini Bar which we did not take. I have reach out to hotel management three times and have not received a call back. I recommend refusing the Mini Bar key at check-in or returning the key to the front desk at check out to avoid Mini Bar discrepancies.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

Hi Amisha! I'm really sorry nobody returned your call, and you were mischarged for minibar items. It was so easy to fix! I'm glad we spoke and worked it out. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed June 23, 2011

Stayed here on business for 2 nights--definitely would not return. Rooms cramped, sparse and uncomfortable. Terrible bed. Poorly appointed bathroom. Just not good.

I get it: it's a hip, scenester spot. Doesn't make it a good hotel--look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank FCLymond
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I hated this hotel. The bed is on a carpeted platform, the closet is a curtain partition, there is nowhere to sit except the bed and a molded plastic chair, no where to open up your suitcase except your bed, the floor, or a long skinny plastic "desk". The room is all white with some gray and a few yellow accents - trying to be modern, but achieving dreary (especially with the pilled, shabby looking blanket on the bed). The bathroom has a WC with a flickering fluorescent light, it's all cold white tile - again with very little comfortable space to put out your toiletries. Not to mention the giant floor to ceiling glass window separating my shower stall from my bed. Not necessarily a problem if you are alone--a serious issue if room service comes while someone is in the shower. Overall the room and hallways felt dirty and lonely to me.
We went up to the roof for a drink and a snack around 6pm and were stopped by a bouncer with very serious attitude. Apparently this is quite a hotspot for the in crowd of LA. That's lovely, but he made us feel extremely unwelcome as paying guests of the hotel. The cocktails were fine, the food was terrible.
I will say that the staff at the hotel were quite nice overall (excepting said bouncer). When I ordered room service the waiter asked me how my stay was, I said "I'm not hip enough to stay here" and he replied with "well, you can chalk it up to an experience"--indeed, and one I never hope to repeat.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jesmsu
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My collegues and I stayed at the Standard Hotel (Dowtown LA) while there for a trade show and it was the worst experience I had ever had. Sure the hotel looks neat when you first arrive but the longer you stay the weirder and more tiresome it gets. Oh and let's not forget the more the cleaning staff steals from you! Yes, while I was there not only did the cleaning staff take medications that were vitial for me but they also stole some jewelry from me as well. When bringing this up to the front desk and to hotel management they never did a thing. The people at the front desk accused me of lying about the incident and called me crazy. Even after leaving the hotel and trying to talk to management over the phone about the inccident they brushed me aside and told me they'd look into it and call me back - which they never did.

As for the hotel itself, it was weird and not suitable if you are staying with work collegues or with your family. Everywhere you go there are sexual innuendos, from the bedroom to the gym. Yes the gym! Be prepared to workout with naked women on bikes displayed as a mural on the backwall of the carido area!

The room is more than MINIMALISTIC it's CHEAP! The shower is all glass which means you are totally exposed to anyone else in the room, besides feeling like you are in a fish bowl. The bed, which sits on a low platform is way too low for my preference and forget being able to watch any TV while in bed - it's too low. The swimming pool and bar are on the rooftop but since it stays open till 2am, you'll want to make sure you don't get a room too high up or you will be kept awake till late with the noise. Also, the halls echo so when rowdy young grils go screaming down the halls or go giggling by with their lovers your bound to hear them.

Overall, I'd suggest staying elsewhere. I definitely won't be coming back here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Squiggybeans

Dear Squiggybeans,

It's difficult to see where we went so wrong handling your loss claim since you stayed with us a year ago, but I'd like to find out more. We take missing items very seriously at the Hotel and because of this we haven't had one missing or stolen item that involves our employees, so this is quite surprising. Please contact us if you'd like to give us more details regarding the jewelry. I hope you were able to replace your medication.

Our design is minimalistic and we definitely like to surprise guest's all around the Hotel with fun and interesting details. It's not for everyone!

Sorry your stay was so disappointing, but hopefully your trade show was a success.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

Husband and I stayed here for one night during the week to celebrate his birthday. We did a couples' package and it was awesome! Cold champagne and cupcakes brought to our room and a continental breakfast (amazing croissants and pain au cocolat and coffee/oj) the next morning. Roof top bar is fantastic, great views, comfy couches. Also hotel is in proximity to lots of great downtown restaurants and its own restaurant (downstairs) is really awesome too. The staff was friendly and responsive. We didn't park at the hotel ($30 valet is ridiculous, but not too crazy in downtown LA) and didn't use any extra services. The room is funky and feels a tiny bit dated with the stripes - but huge windows, window seat and super comfy bed make it totally worth it. We stayed in an x-large room with the ginormous soaking tub. Was just right for a great romantic getaway for a night. Oh yeah, they have free wi-fi, when most hotels charge $20-25 for it, which was a nice perk.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2011

First off, don't complain about parking fees and bottle service prices in LA. It is after all, LA. Not sure what kind of expectations would have free parking and cheap bottles. The Standard is what it is: a funky hotel in a convenient downtown location with a great party vibe. For a 3 star property, it exceeds what a reasonable person would expect.

We arrived Friday afternoon, check in was smooth and courteous. Went straight to the pool for some cocktails and sun. Service was perfect. After dinner we retreated back to the rooftop for more cocktails. Again, great service. Saturday was spent by the pool all day, once again nothing was missed. Lunch was had at the downstairs restaurant and was as good as it's always been. Cab was easily arranged to attend the event at the Staples Center that we came to see. Back to the roof, and back to the fun.

I like everything about this hotel. I also like that some people don't like it. To them I say, stay somewhere else and leave the cheap rates at The Standard for me.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BoxingJohn
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2011

I couldn't have said it better myself. Same As It Ever Was...you just "get it". Thanks for the review, and see you next time!