“See a side of Venice you've never seen before”

Vintage Venice Reel to Real Tours
Ranked #85 of 252 Tours in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Los Angeles Magazine's "Best Walking Tour of 2012" invites you to experience the only tour using 102 years of movie clips on an iPad. Spend the day with Charlie Chaplin, Jim Morrison and other past Venetians as you watch long-gone canals, roller coasters, piers and movie stars return to life before your eyes. In addition to famous attractions like the Skate Park, Muscle Beach and Canals, you’ll be led by a 17-year Venetian into parts of Venice only the locals go and discover what even they don't know.
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Let me just say that after this tour I have a new love of Venice!

The guide, Jonathan, painted an amazing picture of what Venice was like in the past and how it has transformed over the decades. He does this by showing video clips on his ipad, showing pictures, sharing interesting stories, and pointing out historic spots. He doesn’t mind answering questions. In fact, there was not one question that he didn’t have the answer to. Jonathan has done his research and is super knowledgeable about all things Venice. I was impressed! You can tell he is very passionate about Venice, not just what it was in the past, but what it is today.

The tour was so thorough and engaging that at the end of the tour I felt bad I only paid half price. I would have actually paid double the original price, it was worth every dollar, no lie. I’m glad I went on the tour, I learned so much. And now I have a go-to activity to do with my out-of-town visitors.

The tour offers a great view of the main and side streets of Venice, the canals, and the beach/ocean front walk area. It is a 3-hr walking tour that goes by very quickly. I’m looking forward to going on some of the other tours that Jonathan offers. I hear he even offers some special tours for the holidays like Christmas and Valentine’s Day. Great idea for a date!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is a fantastic way to learn about Venice! Jonathan really knows his neighborhood and enjoys sharing. The tour is enhanced by the showing of video clips and vintage photos depicting the exact place where one is standing. Take out of town visitors or be a tourist in your own town. You won't regret it!

Reviewed May 20, 2012

We must echo the previous reviews for this fascinating walking tour of Venice. Jonathan's wealth of knowledge and love for Venice shines through in this 3 hour walk.

The tours are limited to only 8 people so it is easy to chat with Jonathan and ask questions along the way. You see it all, from the crazy ocean front street scene to the serene canals, all filled with Hollywood tidbits and historical perspective.

This is a must do for tourists as well as locals.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

This walking tour exceeded my expectations and framed Venice in a whole new light for me. Most visitors to Venice walk down the boardwalk, snap a few pictures and think they've seen the area but Vintage Venice Reel to Real Tours brought Venice alive - I had no idea how much history there was in these streets, murals, homes and parks and I've lived nearby for many years! Jonathan, my tour guide, was entertaining, enlightening and just fun to spend an afternoon with. He shows some incredible pictures and video clips of historical Venice so you immediately see how a spot you are standing in used to look years ago. Highly recommend this unique, fun way to really get to know Venice for locals and tourists!

1  Thank Avadraq
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This walking tour is an impeccably researched history lesson about Venice from its extravagant beginnings as a fashionable seaside resort mimicking the original Venice, through its poorer period to the vibrant yet gritty place it is today. The clever twist is that the tour guide has an excellent collection of old photographs and film clips which he brings out and shows (on his IPad) at the appropriate moments along the tour, allowing you to compare past and present. The presentation is both intelligent and entertaining, with many fascinating anecdotes. I've lived in the area for years, but almost everything I heard was new to me. I highly recommend this tour to locals and visitors, with the proviso that it might not appeal to children.