“Perhaps the dumbest $50 I've spent in a long time.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Short Order - CLOSED

Short Order
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fairfax & 3rd
Description: Short order is a celebration of over thirty years of friendship and culinary collaboration between Amy Pressman and Nancy Silverton. Highlighting their shared passion of bringing the best seasonal ingredients to the table, each menu item at Short order is crafted emphasizing locally raised, organic, artisanal and handmade products. This restaurant is Amy and Nancy’s showcase for foods prepared the way they personally love to eat. Short Order represents their comfort in the simplicity of cooking as they would in their own homes.
Austin, Texas
“Perhaps the dumbest $50 I've spent in a long time.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

My wife and I were so excited to have lunch at Short Order. We, like many of our friends, hoped that this would be LA's answer to NYC's Shake Shack. I will start with the short list of positives. The shakes are terrific (I had chocolate); all potato products appear to be excellent (disclaimer, we did not try them all); and the ingredients all seem of extra high quality (heirloom tomatoes on the burgers).

Now for the bad part ... the burger, which I think is what this place should be all about, was mediocre at best. The burgers start at $11. They are small. They are uniformly formed -- reminding my wife and me of a fast food or cafeteria burger. They are dwarfed by a dry, boring bun. And they aren't tasty! I should note that I love hamburgers, almost unconditionally. This is a bland, almost anger-inducing piece of beef. Our lunch of two burgers; an order of fries; a diet cola and a chocolate shake came to $41 (before the tip).

Also, the kitchen and service are still not in sync. We intentionally did not go when the restaurant opened in the hope of avoiding "new restaurant mayhem". Our meal took forever to arrive and the restaurant was only 40% full when we were there. From our seats at the counter, my wife and I could see the confusion in the kitchen as we waited for our lunch. Avoid this place if you are looking for a quick meal. Throw in the hassle of parking at the Farmer's Market on a weekend and the experience is a real poke in the eye.

Finally, some thoughts on the "Secret Sauce". I know it is odd to end the review on a condiment, but Short Order caught my attention with this one. I was excited for a burger sauce to finally break out of the pack of me-too sauces. Sadly, this sauce is pretty much just like all of the others -- and this bugged. If you are going to go out of your way to market a "Secret Sauce" to customers, it HAS to be more than mayo, dijon, ketchup and some bland spices. To me, their "Secret Sauce" is a symbol of all that was wrong with this bland, annoyingly over-priced meal. Sadly, the hype does not match the product at Short Order.

Beverly Hills, California
“Best Burger in L.A.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Move over, Apple Pan. There's a new game in town. Nancy Silverton strikes again with a sensational burger joint (and a sister bakery, Short Cake) in the tourist filled Farmer's Market. Make sure to order the Spuds, but one order is enough for everyone. How can deep fried chunks of baked potato be bad!!

Columbus, New Jersey
“It's in the bun.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

Had read about this place. With NS behind it was interested to try it. First time burger was wrong, but it was corrected. Second time, really dissected it. The bun is what makes this burger, along with the combinations, but the meat is just average. I had the Nancy both times.

Some negatives: the seats are so close together, the acoustics are poor, especially upstairs. Downstairs, you'll be consuming car exhaust with your meal - the cars drivng past and parking are that close. It's costly for what it is.

The hipsters seem to like it, but I'll pass on it next time. The test of a great burger is when I go again and again and again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Interesting place, great atmosphere, service just ok”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

I heard about this place and wanted to stop by and try it. They are known for their beef fed burgers done medium rare. I ordered the old school was was good, then the wedge salad which was very good, except their blue cheese dressing for it was really bad. I opted for the vingarette which was a nice compliment. I ate my burger without their secret sauce as it was terrible and had no flavor. They have these soft drinks made with cane sugar and they were really good.
The service at the bar upstairs was really lacking. The typical bartenders with the I am really an actor, why should I pay attention to you. I went on a Friday night before it got busy, but the service was as bad without people as it was packed with many. I did order the French fries and they were adequate . Would I return? Maybe if I want to spend $12-18 dollars for a hamburger

• Visited January 2012
Laguna Woods, California
“Best hamburger (according to my daughter) but more important BEST SPUDS!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

What a fun place, tucked away at the bottom end of the Farmer's Market, away from the craziness of the crowds there. There is seating upstairs should you want something quieter. The burgers are very good, and there are 2 choices of meat, one turkey and one lamb burger. My daughters loved the turkey burger and Nancy's backyard burger, and I have sampled both and enjoyed every mouthful. The smashed potato spuds are to die for, hot and crispy, crunchy and soft in the middle, the best thing ever. I haven't tasted anything else there, as I leave a little room and walk across to Short Cake (same owners, the fabulous Nancy Silverton and her crew) to buy their marvelous pastries to take home, and have a hand made coffee...just the best! The staff are a little hurried in both places, but they are busy.

• Visited January 2012