“USS Iowa - Great Visit!”

Battleship USS Iowa BB-61
$17.98*
Los Angeles Shore Excursion: Battleship Iowa Museum Admission
Ranked #12 of 580 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Celebrate the American Spirit aboard Battleship IOWA - the West Coast's only Battleship open to the public. Journey through World War II, the Korean War, and the Cold War as you experience the life of a sailor on the lead ship of the last class of gunships. Walk the wood decks to see up close the 16" guns, 5" guns, missile decks, bridge, mess areas, and the world famous Captain's Cabin with the only bathtub installed on a battleship for President - FDR. Our unique interactive tour now allows you to experience, firsthand, what it was like to live and serve on the historic ship. Access original video content to glimpse currently restricted areas such as the inside of our turrets, audio commentary that share rare and fascinating stories, plus augmented reality which recreates events such as the big 16" guns being fired. Located at the LA Waterfront, former home to the US Navy fleet prior to WWII, Battleship IOWA is open 10am - 4pm daily. (Closed Thanksgiving & Christmas.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I'm a history fan and in particular, love WWII. When I discovered the Iowa was berthed nearby, I was ecstatic! The Iowa class battleship is really something to see and if you have the time, go see it. I took my French girlfriend (who is not a fan of war related things) and even she loved the ship! We walked the ship on our own, which was probably a mistake - the tour guides were very knowledgeable from what we overheard. However, even walking the ship by yourself, there are signs all over to tell you what you're looking at and lots of staff all about to tell you interesting facts and snippets about the boat. Surprisingly, just when we were done and were about to leave, we spoke with a security guard and spent a good 20 - 30 minutes talking with him. Even the security personnel love this ship and know lots of interesting facts.

What you should know - no tax dollars go towards the preservation and restoration of the ship. It's all off of donations and ticket fees. The people operating and securing the ship are all volunteers (at least, everyone we talked to were). If you have ever seen photos of this ship, they don't do it justice. Wait until you stand next to any of it's massive 16" guns and you'll be glad you visited! There are NO bathrooms on board the ship but there are some before you board. I recommend using them before boarding since you'll probably stay on the ship for at least 2 - 3 hours...

2  Thank The_Real_Atticus

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoy the self guided tour. Had something for young and old. Myself as old and grandson which is eight. Great piece of American history which hopefully will be around for many more generations.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

After serving in the US Navy for 22 years, it was great to get back about a US Navy Warship. Part way through I remarked to my family that it even smelled the same as the ships I was stationed on that I remember smelling a particular aroma from a Naval vessel especially when I came off two weeks leave and was re-introduced to the smell of a ship! The onboard staff were great!!!! I had been on the Missouri in Pearl, so I was expecting the same...the only unfortunate part is that Iowa has not been in the LA basin as long at the Mighty Mo has been in Pearl...so some of the areas...engineering etc were not open yet, and as an EMCS, I was hoping to see some of the snipe world. I have signed up for a membership, so hopefully relatively soon, we can get to where the snipes play! Even with that, myself, wife, daughter, son in law and two grandsons had a great time and we look forward to going back again!!! And did I mention, we went for my birthday and I was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa. emcsswusn

2  Thank Douglas W
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Thankful that San Pedro offered space to dock BB-61. Sadly too many of our fleet have been cut up for scrap iron or can be found rusting adjacent to the Venicia Bridge in northern CA. It's surely a lot closer to visit than the North Carolina that we toured a number of years ago. Reading of the training explosion reminds us that accidents can happen even in peace time. We highly recommend spending 90 minutes to tour this local flagship.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Thanks to all who made the USS Iowa in So Cal possible.

I was impressed with how well the ship has been preserved, especially the paint on the outside. I had hoped to tour the main battery and engine spaces, realize that the ship is evolving as a historical destination. So I will continue to talk up the ship with my friends, and help the cause.

Our singles conference at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints rented out the fantail for a conference in May, so that will introduce another 750 people to the "Big Stick" and it is great how the USS Iowa can become part of our community with events like this held on the ship.

The self guided tour is well instructed with signage. Just enough signs with information to educate us. I had built a WW2 model of the Wisconsin, so I was fascinated by all the cold war upgrades. The bridge and armored citadel were awesome. There is a lot to take in. I prefer the real deal to The Queen Mary tour which has lots of museum junk in it where the Iowa shows off the power and mission of the ship itself. The "museum" phase was kept tastefully small next to the gift shop.

Keep up the marketing and buzz around the Iowa. Best Wishes for continued restoration and success,

Mark