“Great piece of US Naval history!”

Battleship USS Iowa BB-61
Book In Advance
More Info
$17.98*
and up
Battleship USS Iowa Museum Admission
Ranked #12 of 547 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Celebrate the American Spirit aboard Battleship IOWA - the West Coast's only Battleship open to the public. Journey through World War II, the Korean War, and the Cold War as you experience the life of a sailor on the lead ship of the last class of gunships. Walk the wood decks to see up close the 16" guns, 5" guns, missile decks, bridge, mess areas, and the world famous Captain's Cabin with the only bathtub installed on a battleship for President - FDR. Our unique interactive tour now allows you to experience, firsthand, what it was like to live and serve on the historic ship. Access original video content to glimpse currently restricted areas such as the inside of our turrets, audio commentary that share rare and fascinating stories, plus augmented reality which recreates events such as the big 16" guns being fired. Located at the LA Waterfront, former home to the US Navy fleet prior to WWII, Battleship IOWA is open 10am - 4pm daily. (Closed Thanksgiving & Christmas.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Corona, CA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great piece of US Naval history!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I had a great time. The ship is very impressive. I'm looking forward to more of the ship opening to have another reason to go back!

2 Thank Joshua S

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manhattan Beach, CA
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“What fun!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We brought our two oldest grandsons (ages 6 & 8) to the tour. They had an excellent time visiting the USS Iowa! Happy it has made Long Beach it's home!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank sdrnek22
Nampa, Idaho
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Living History Lesson”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I loved the tour of the USS Iowa. This is a great historical ship. I especially want to complement the men and women staffing the ship. The guides are knowledgeable, friendly and really amusing. Be warned though, this tour may not be suitable for small children or elderly visitors. The stairways on a battleship are steep. Although well maintained, hazards exist.
Some food and drink is available, but restrooms are located on the dock.
Views of the harbor and San Pedro from the ship are wonderful.

Herculaneum, MO
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Bringing out the child in all of us!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

When I was a child, my favorite toy was a Battleship. From the moment that I stepped aboard the U.S.S. Iowa, I felt as though I had somehow been miniaturized and placed onto that ship. Only this was no toy. This was the real deal. A piece of history that served during WW II, The Korean War and finally after being upgraded with missile launchers, and other high tech devices, it cruised the seas during The Cold War. For my $18.00 admission, I was essentially set free to roam on a self guided tour taking as much time as I cared to in each area that was open for public viewing. Several guides were stationed along the way and were very open to any questions that I had. The exhibit is not yet accessible for the disabled and you have to be able to climb up and down ladders to the various decks. There is a gift shop and various opportunities for refreshments to be had along the way as well.
Only those who journeyed on this great vessel can know what it felt like to do so. Likewise, it is one thing to have seen her 16 inch guns and another thing to have heard them. I am very proud and grateful to be an American and even more proud of those who serve our country, in the past, the present and in the future.

Sierra Madre, California
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Authentic Battleship”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband is a history buff, so we went last weekend to tour the battleship. But I found it very interesting too even tho history is not my thing. They have knowledgeable guides stationed around the ship that can answer your questions and share interesting facts about the ship's history and its tours. They could probably use a few more descriptive signs along the way to explain things. See if you can find the typo on one sign. The guide told me only about one person a week points it out. Not all of the ship is open yet, but there are plans to open up more of the ship and have more tours of the different areas on board, so check the website to see when that will happen. Please note it is colder on the deck and much of the open ship is outside, so quite chilly compared to the inland temperatures. It took us about one hour to see the whole ship. There is no public restroom on the ship, but there are port a potties outside before you board. Also lots of ladder like steep stairs up and down, so not for the un-agile.