“Delicious food with unique flavors in DTLA” 5 of 5 bubbles

Baco Mercat
Ranked #59 of 9,847 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Spanish, Middle Eastern
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Newport Coast, CA
“Delicious food with unique flavors in DTLA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

One of my favorite casual eateries in LA - their bacos (apparently baco is a made up name for their signature flatbread sandwich) are fabulous. The fava fritter baco (the fritter is like a falafel) is amazing, and so is "the Original" baco with chunks of deep fried pork - oh my. Everything on the menu is amazing, but lately I've been focusing on their vegetable-focused dishes rather than the proteins. It's hard to make vegetable interesting, but they managed to do it and the sauces are plate licking good. The small plates change regularly, but the roasted vegetables of any sort (I've had beets, cauliflowers, snap peas, carrots) and the salads truly show you what delicious things one can do with vegetables. Oh, their salmorejo sauce is to die for - get any dish that has it (the fava fritter baco does, and it makes an appearance on some veggie small plates).

It's in a rough part of downtown LA (some say gentrifying, what can you say, I'm spoiled princess - I say rough), I've only been there for lunch.

• Visited May 2013

Sao Paulo, SP
“Surprisingly different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We went there on a Sunday evening - luckily with reservations - as the place was packed. And loud, way too loud. But the menu provided soooo many interesting combinations that we forgot about the noisy. Don´t do if you don´t like to try new combinations and/or spices. Though the location is far from usual (specially if you are staying in Beverly Hills!), it´s definitely worth the trip.

• Visited July 2013
clovelly
“Mescal alert!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This funky Downtown LA space is the plane to be right now. The food was delicious. We started with their homemade labne, followed by the cauliflower. Best ever. The lamb pizza was very tasty too but the much lauded shrimp baco was a disappointment. There was just too much going on for my palate - fried flat bread, deep fried breaded shrimps, coleslaw & srichacha mayonnaise. We were also uninitiated to the taste of the mescal cocktail which was strong, smokey & again for our palates, undrinkable. Nevertheless the overall experience was fabulous. We will be back.

1 Thank clovellyjel
Washington
“Definitely Try It Out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We recently ate at Baco Mercat our last night in Los Angeles. I saw that it was rated #1 on Trip Advisor, so I convinced my wife we should give it a try. We got there around 6:45 pm on a weekday, and were promptly seated at the bar. No tables were available at that time, so if you want one make sure to get a reservation a few days in advance. Also, by 7:15 pm or so we noticed that the remaining bar seats were taken.

Anyhow, I ordered The Toron sandwich. My wife was intimidated by the menu and was a little frustrated since she didn't know what most the ingredients were. However, she ended up ordering the Fried Chicken N' Biscuit. The sandwich was very good, and my wife pleasantly found her meal to be delicious. Neither of our orders came with anything, so if you are very hungry consider ordering a starter. We shared the Carmel Upside Down Cake for dessert, and it was awesome.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to others. The prices were reasonable and the food was tasty.

LA
“Good but not blown away”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Maybe I'm a little jaded, but when a restaurant earns enormous praise my expectation level is hightened.
While everything was good nothing was outstanding and we didn't leave feeling we must come back. The flavors did not seem different from any other well regarded establishment.
I must say our server Jennifer was outstanding in every way: patient, knowledgeable, smooth and proffessional. Also, the front agreed to take us an hour before our reserved time and we were seated in a nice window table for our party of four.
We ate "family style" which is the norm here: we tried the anchovy/honey dish, cauliflower, hamachi, ox sandwich, artic char and the porterhouse pork. As stated, all good but there was no "OMG" moment.
I know a little about wine and the offerings were quite unusual to say the least, I was unfamiliar with essentially the entire list. Having noted that on the web site I opted to bring a bottle of Oregon Pinot which seemed to work with most dishes and at a $20.00 corkeage it worked out well. If you purchase a bottle from their list, corkeage is waived.
As far as decor, it is simple and understated-wood tables with brown paper table coverings, plain white plates and stem-less wine glasses.
Oh, the deserts were good including the hazelnut mousse, and the up-side down cake, the chocolate cake was just so-so, a little dry.
All in all a good evening but I would not consider this a destination restaurant where I would drive a distance simply to dine here.