“Definitely Try It Out” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Baco Mercat

Baco Mercat
408 S. Main Street, Los Angeles, CA (Downtown)
213.687.7000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 9,513 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Washington
“Definitely Try It Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We recently ate at Baco Mercat our last night in Los Angeles. I saw that it was rated #1 on Trip Advisor, so I convinced my wife we should give it a try. We got there around 6:45 pm on a weekday, and were promptly seated at the bar. No tables were available at that time, so if you want one make sure to get a reservation a few days in advance. Also, by 7:15 pm or so we noticed that the remaining bar seats were taken.

Anyhow, I ordered The Toron sandwich. My wife was intimidated by the menu and was a little frustrated since she didn't know what most the ingredients were. However, she ended up ordering the Fried Chicken N' Biscuit. The sandwich was very good, and my wife pleasantly found her meal to be delicious. Neither of our orders came with anything, so if you are very hungry consider ordering a starter. We shared the Carmel Upside Down Cake for dessert, and it was awesome.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to others. The prices were reasonable and the food was tasty.

LA
“Good but not blown away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Maybe I'm a little jaded, but when a restaurant earns enormous praise my expectation level is hightened.
While everything was good nothing was outstanding and we didn't leave feeling we must come back. The flavors did not seem different from any other well regarded establishment.
I must say our server Jennifer was outstanding in every way: patient, knowledgeable, smooth and proffessional. Also, the front agreed to take us an hour before our reserved time and we were seated in a nice window table for our party of four.
We ate "family style" which is the norm here: we tried the anchovy/honey dish, cauliflower, hamachi, ox sandwich, artic char and the porterhouse pork. As stated, all good but there was no "OMG" moment.
I know a little about wine and the offerings were quite unusual to say the least, I was unfamiliar with essentially the entire list. Having noted that on the web site I opted to bring a bottle of Oregon Pinot which seemed to work with most dishes and at a $20.00 corkeage it worked out well. If you purchase a bottle from their list, corkeage is waived.
As far as decor, it is simple and understated-wood tables with brown paper table coverings, plain white plates and stem-less wine glasses.
Oh, the deserts were good including the hazelnut mousse, and the up-side down cake, the chocolate cake was just so-so, a little dry.
All in all a good evening but I would not consider this a destination restaurant where I would drive a distance simply to dine here.

Colchester, Connecticut
“I Love Love Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Where do I begin? This place has it all. The chef's imagination and creativity never ceases to amaze me. I have been here twice and will be back again. Go with some friends and order everything! Pretty popular and hard to get a reservation on the weekends, but if you show up during non-peak hours you can usually get a seat at the bar or on the patio. I got the impression there was a bit of a pick-up scene happening at the bar on the weekends but I might be wrong.

Decatur, Georgia
“Awesome Tapas in Downtown L.A.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had high expectations for this restaurant after reading the reviews here and in Bon Appetit, where this restaurant was listed #9 in the "Best New Restaurants in America in 2012". It lived up to all of my expectations.

We went with a party of 4 on a Thursday night. We arrived at 6:30 with no reservations and were pleasantly surprised to be seated right away on the heated patio right on the sidewalk. But, by 7:00 the place was PACKED.

The waiter was a hoot and made the meal a lot of fun. The drinks were very grown-up and I loved my "Bazerac", their version of a sazerac.

We shared a lot of small plates and everything was wonderful. My favorite was the original pork baco. It was bigger than I expected and could have been a meal on its own with just one other side.

Other favorites were the pork belly ravioli, flatbread, cauliflower and arctic char.

I thought the prices were very reasonable for this quality of a dining experience in L.A.

I would highly recommend this place (in fact, I already have to several people), and I would definitely go back.

Santa Monica, California
“Noisy and crowded in the heart of Downtown.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

reservations are a must!
This is someone's version of slow cook country style cooking. You may have to wait
longer but everything is made to spec.
I cannot get over the deep fried chicken breast with the thick and crispy fatty skin that was just too good to pass up/ They surround this with the large buttermilk biscuits , which did not spare the butter and are so are flake., In between all this is a nice helping of cole slaw>?>!>y
Everything he makes is gooD

• Visited May 2013