“French Bistro in the Palisades” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maison Giraud

Maison Giraud
Ranked #3,121 of 9,847 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: LAX Area
Cross street: Sunset Boulevard
Palm Springs, California, United States
“French Bistro in the Palisades”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

On a first visit for lunch with a companion sitting outside on a beautiful summer beach day I discovered great food, but very flawed service. We munched on the fresh house made baguette while waiting for our lunch orders. Our server answered our questions and took our order, and another staff brought plates first giving my companions order of the hamburger with onions (ordered without) and placing a plate of chicken in front me and the fries I ordered. We told him these were not what we ordered. He found our server who then directed him to the correct table for the food. He left the hot french fries which went my order and we began withdrawing them from the glass with paper holding them. Our orders arrived shortly and my companion received the burger ordered without caramelized onions and I received my plate and a second order of fries. Looking at the plate I thought this is not what I ordered, roasted cod with fennel cucumber on a bun. After tracking down our server he explained I was given the smoked salmon sandwich and he removed it. When it came my cod sandwich was really good. The well cooked fish on the fresh house made brioche bun was worth the wait. The burger on the same bun was loved by my companion. I would have given a excellent were it not for the sloppy service. There is a bakery, but unfortunately it does not rise to the level of a good French Patisserie in that they sell 3 breads, assorted croissants and a brioche bun, but it is missing the wonderful, colorful, tasty treats one can get for an afternoon pastry fix in many French bakeries.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Arabic first
San Pedro de Alcantara, Spain
“Squeeze in on Sunday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Historically Swarthmore holds a Farmer's Market on Sunday mornings. The great and the good, the must be seen and those who are impressed by Celebrity sightings are here. There are pony rides, Doggy Adoption centres, ethnic food stands, gorgeous orchid stands, organic fruits and vegetables and bunches of gorgeous flowers as well as exciting herbs ready to be planted.
Really worth getting up for on a sunny Sunday morning.
In between all these stands is of course the usual restaurants with tables squeezed onto the pavements, and what fun it is to eat well and people watch at the same time. If one is not "Californian" it is amusing to see all the women with "the look". Yoga toned bodies cramped into tight usually black yoga wear, pony tail tucked through baseball cap, tennis shoes and oversized sunglasses teamed with frosted blonde hair. The men are worth a column on their own.
Maison Giraud, is not quite France but does a good impression. I itch to get inside, paint a wall or two and liven the place up a bit. The idea is there, they just haven't followed through. The breads are excellent but they ought to pay a visit to the Fairmont Miramar to see how Flatbreads really can be made. The Sea Bream was so fresh and so well done that it looked as if it was still swimming in the sea, a truly superb dish. The Coq a Vin was Coq a Vin and was quite delighted with the explanation I got to what exactly it was ... of course I keep forgetting that only a small percentage of the American population actually have passports.
If you live in California and have never been to Europe and don't have a trip to France planned, then book a table at Maison Giraud, it must be the nearest thing to Provence itself.

• Visited May 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Croissants in LA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The best croissants in LA, I've tried plenty to know...

Get there early if you want all the flavor options.

Plain is perfection which made me happy but I was surprised how good their chocolate croissant was, I never liked them before then. I have yet to try their almond because they're only offered on Sunday. The rest of the menu sounds amazing too but i'm in love with the pastries so they gained a loyal customer! <3

• Visited March 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
“Neighborhood bistro”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My second visit, both for dinner. Parking is on the street, usually available. Both outdoor and indoor tables, white tablecloths. The service starts with a complimentary pate with toasts, and the incredibly good olive bread. I skipped an appetizer, just had the green salad (fresh, green, good) and the bass, which was a bit dry. Desserts are good and have suggested wine pairings (small glass) which is a nice way to try wines I would never buy.

Visited March 2013
Los Angeles
“Top flight food haunt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is my second visit to Maison Giraud, both times were special . My wife and I went for a romantic Valentine Day meal and it was outstanding.
Each course was delicious, visually appealing and not overpowering. It is possible to have French cuisine without feeling it is over the top. My selections complimented each other. They built on the flavor of the previous choice.
The server was very good too. He was helpful in his wine choices, knew when to make an appearance and never rushed us , even though the room was busy due to the V day crowd.
I plan to come back another time to sample their menus for breakfast and lunch too. I am rarely in this part of town, do not often think of coming to the Palisades as a food stop. I need to change my viewpoint of this. It is worth the trip if you desire an outstanding meal

• Visited February 2013