“You get what you pay for and maybe a smidge more ...”

The Dixie Hollywood
Ranked #122 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
“You get what you pay for and maybe a smidge more ...”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night when I was traveling around the different areas of LA. Reviews say its a close walking distance to the walk of fame, now I'm from NY and walk a lot and didn't mind the walk but I wouldn't reference it as close. Yes in about 15 minutes you may hit your first star on the walk but it's about another 20 minutes to get to the real area you want to be at, so it's about a 35 min walk to the good restaurants and the Chinese theater. Also on your walk you'll pass several free clinics and shelters so I would defiantly not recommend walking at night. The hotel it's self is fine, clean rooms and there appeared to be several parking spaces but I was there on a Tuesday. If your thinking you'll want to use the fridge coffee maker or microwave they don't work and are just for show as I've seen others say. Also when my friend and I came home around midnight-1am and there was a homeless man getting shelter from the rain in front of the rooms so I would say safety could be an issue but Hollywood in general was a bit sketchy. If you need a cheap place to stay and have a car this is fine or for just one night, wouldn't have a family here. But if you do you have to try the little diner next door, AMAZING!!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Cristina298

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

After a very long stay at Terranea resort we wanted to go to the universal studios. Choose this place as its near, Hollywood walk of fame, universal studios and Chinese theatre. Over all good place. Front desk was very helpful.

• Stayed January 2013
Virginia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The is an old Days Inn motel with some updates. The name and on line photos are appealing, however my second floor room was plain, sparse and showing wear and tear. Very unappealing. The room was extremely noisy due to lack of soundproofing and design. Twice had to call the front desk about other guests making too much noise. The heater is very loud, walls are thin, lots of traffic and police sirens so you don't sleep well.
Ended up here for four nights due to a reservation mix up. Made the best of it over New Years since other hotels were sold out.
The office staff was pleasant and helpful. The neighborhood is sketchy. if you have a car there are many other better hotel options in the LA area.

Room Tip: Second floor room should be better
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I just stayed here with my husband and 2 of our friends and we had a great time. The rooms were nice and clean, the beds were very comfortable. It was previously a days in, and they've done a lot of upgrades so it's actually quite nice. They let us check in 2 hours early and they were able to give us our rooms right next to each other. It's located right in Thai town, so there were tons of thai places to eat at.. there's a CVS right on the corner, a Ralphs and Ross directly across the street. It's right by the subway, and only 2 stops to the Chinese Theatre, Walk of fame, Dolby Threatre Etc. It's also only 2 blocks from the freeway so we had no trouble finding it driving. The WIFI worked great for us, yes, it was slow at times, but most if the time it worked fine. Free parking inside the lot, and what we really liked was that the rooms were arranged in a U shape, so you sort of felt like you had a little privacy. Their restaurant 54 Twenty that is right beside it was AMAZING. Fantastic breakfast and lunch. The food was amazing, more on the gourmet side, and still decent prices.

Now, my cons. The pool is not heated. The water is ICE cold. Do not expect to go swimming anytime except in the summer. A hot tub would have been nice too. However we had brought a few beers and sat around the pool for a couple hours and no one said anything to us at all. The walls are thin as other people had mentioned. The room upstairs from us had a crying baby which woke us up one night and the next night, we could hear them walking around BUT this wasn't too bad, it didn\t keep us up all night, and it was really a minor complaint.
Also, keep in mind, Hollywood in general is a sketchy place. There are lots of homeless people, and some "un savory chatacters" that hang out here. If you look at places anything east of the Dixie, it starts to get really sketchy.

I would recommend this place to any friends who want are on a budget and want to stay in Hollywood, it was safe, affordable, with clean rooms. If we stay in Hollywood again, we would come here for sure.

Room Tip: We had the bottom floor, right on the corner.. 134 & 135, which was perfect..But a top floor may...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Clark O
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I will never stay here ever again. It is noisy when you stay on the bottom floor. You can hear people's walking and talking at night time, especially on the weekend night. It is hard to get a good rest. I was there 4nights 5days and witched room 3times. It was cold december, heater wasn't working, telephone wasn't working, wi-fi suck, the room extremely noisy. No, I am not some grumpy old men. I am in my mid 30s. I can't even go out late cause they don't have enough parking space. If you come in after 11pm then you have to cruise around the neighborhood looking for parking. Parking suck, I have to filed a claim through my insurance company to get my car fix because someone hit my vehicle over night at the parking lot and left a big dent. It cost $1300. Those cameras at the hotel are just for looks, it not working most of the time. I have to wait the whole month for the property owner to view the video and finally told me the camera was broke. Yes, A WHOLE MONTH. Is it safe to stay at a hotel which cameras is your security personal safety but it isn't working ? Well, Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank phil b
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I first liked the hotel. The staff is very friendly. The hotel has free parking, the rooms are clean and look modern. I liked the bed, and slept good... the first night.

Someone checked in to the room next door during my 2nd day there, and then I found out that the isolation between the rooms is really bad. I could hear everything that they said in the room next door, and the people there watched tv until 4 in the morning. I couldn't sleep at all. Looks like this is a common problem if you read the other rewiews. The wifi was also horrible. It was so slow, and often not available at all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrTheTraveller
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Unfortunately there were a group of people partying on the balcony and keeping us awake. Obviously not the hotel's fault but I would not stay at a hotel where rooms adjoin an outdoor balcony. Breakfast disappointing, only fruit supplied. Lump pillows, very average,

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family