“How disappointing!!!”

The Dixie Hollywood
Ranked #126 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
“How disappointing!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed 7 nights at the Dixie and are so glad to be out of there!!!

Advertised as a boutique hotel, and paying upwards of $140 per night we were not expecting the ritz but we were certainly expecting more than a banger motel!
Check in was relatively easy, although when inquiring about the car rental their website says they offer, we were instructed to come back in the morning....no follow up, no information, so we just went elsewhere for a car.
The room was spacious enough I guess, old rooms with a quick luck of paint and flat screen tv, but underneath just a tired motel room, there is a small bar fridge and microwave in the room, the ac's knobs were broken so if you turned it off it was unlikely you could get it going again, without it it was hot and stuffy but with seemingly only one setting, at times it got quite cold!
The wifi here is all but non-existent, super slow if it worked at all.....your best bet is to sit by the door with your phone outside.....even then loading a page was arduous.
The pool area is quaint and looks great all lit up at night time, however after swimming there once I developed a rash, kind of like chlorine burn?
The staff were less than helpfull, three times my husband and I were walked in on without even KNOCKING and all three times when the do not disturb sign was displayed!!! Twice by house keeping and once by maintenance claiming to be coming to fix curtains that had fallen down.....curtains that were drawn and clearly intact?
Twice we had to go to reception and get new keys programmed as the system had timed us out, the original booking was for 7 nights so it's not like we confused things by extending our stay or anything, both times it was late at night too, when you just want to get inside and go to bed, not mess around getting new keys!
The hotel is on Hollywood blvd, but the other side of the freeway, so at least a 30-45 min walk from all the attractions, there is a subway next door that takes you in but we never used it, we don't mind walking.
The only saving grace is the AMAZING restaurant, I'm not sure if it is part of the Dixie or just on the same property, but easily the best food we ate in all of LA!!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Missjessileigh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Expecting to be checking into a hotel, I was surprised to find that the Dixie was, in fact, a motel but slightly more upscale than the usual.

I would definitely recommend trying to get an upstairs room. We were here for three nights and spent hours lying awake in bed while the elephants upstairs bashed their way around the room into the early hours of the morning. The constant strain of the air-conditioner didn't help either.

The location really is excellent (I was slightly apprehensive but went down the street for dinner one night and I didn't feel unsafe at all), it was always well cleaned and free parking is great but our bathroom was falling apart. Also, the pool is right next to Hollywood Blvd... Needless to say we did not go swimming! My booking information also said breakfast was included - I understand that the restaurant that served breakfast has closed and a new one which is unaffiliated has opened in it's place.

I think for the price it was well worth it but if you're looking for a proper hotel, this is not for you!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
sydney australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is a great motel for a great price. Where i think they go wrong is by calling it a hotel. It is not, so if you arrive expecting concierge services, luggage assistance etc you will be disappointed. Where they excel is being a fantastic motel; so please arrive with expectations with the price you pay.

A somewhat disappointing experience was arriving at 9:30am (well before checkin time I know) and walking into the front office to see the general manager having a personal conversation with a friend and having to ask for assistance with checking in. Whilst this was then provided very quickly and my bags stored, i did however feel a bit of an annoyance as he was clearly mid conversation. Neither the less I stored my bags and was told they would try and have my room by midday (before checkin). When I returned at around 1pm the room was ready and I was offered either a first floor or ground floor room. No luggage assistance was offered ( but this is a motel remember, so was perfectly acceptable to me.)

The room was a perfectly acceptable motel room. Clean and comfortable ( but window looked onto corridor as per motel room). The toilet seat was broken and tv not operative when I entered but within 15 (without calling) an engineer was there to fix it.

The location was perfectly suitable and whilst an easy walk I chose to take the subway to take time to get into the thick of Hollywood and was very easy to use. As far as noise complaints go, I never heard a peep. One night I had my tv turned on and was called fro front desk saying a neighbor had called and the tv was disturbing their sleep. I need to thank front office for being so forthright with me. I never wanted to disturb anyone and turned it down immediately. That shows to me that if there is ever a noise issue that front desk will deal with it straight away.

One other thing I must mention that absolutely blew me away for this level of hotel/motel was the housekeeping staff and the general manager of the hotel each went round all the rooms before going home to ask how they were enjoying their stay and if they needed anymore towels/ soaps etc. This simple little touch truly made me feel at home and that the staff cared. After 4 nights of check ups from the general manager before he left I felt like he truly cared about his guests (checkin experience more than forgiven). Not even at a Four Seasons has the general manager of the property accompanied housekeeping staff during their final duties before leaving for home. What a difference that made to this reviewer! Well done!

Was this a great hotel? No. Was this a fantastic motel? YES

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank sammeus
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

We spend three days at this hotel, two adults and two kids. The room was quit clean but besid that, regarding other relevant aspects, our review is much better. The hotel is in a good location to universal studios and food stores, helpful staff, free parking. Would stay there again.

4 Thank Hanan R
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last year, when it was called the Days Inn Holllywood. Great location for a fantastic price! The room and property was clean, the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel was a few steps away from the Metro Red Line, which was so convenient, and right across the street from some amazing Thai food, Starbucks, and Ralph's.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sam S
Biloxi, Mississippi, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We were under the impression we were going to be staying in a boutique hotel, but the Dixie is a motel in renovation status. Though the staff is friendly and accessible 24/7, there is much work to be done. The greatest assets are Dixie's location to shopping and Los Angeles amenities, free parking, avoiding elevators and lobbies and the comfort of the bed and quality of linens, surprisingly. The towels and toilet paper need upgrading and there are details in the rooms which must be fine tuned. The noise quality from upstairs guests is thunderous. The price is right when booked in a bundle package and for the proximity to family we would return. Dixie is brimming with international guests which speaks to its economy and convenience.

Room Tip: In spite of the noise I would still book a first floor room because of the convenience and the A/C b...
1 Thank Elaine S
Cottage Grove
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

My sisters and I stayed at the Dixieland because we couldn't find anything else available. We stayed July 14, 15. 16. The place is nothing like the photos show, there is no eating room and no resteraunt. The staff there when we checked in was less than helpful. The neighborhood doesn't feel safe, the rooms aren't clean. It is overall not at all as depicted on thier website. When we questioned why it was so different the guy at the front desk said they are working on the website, he could cancel our reservations if we wanted, I would guess since he knew there wouldn't be anyplace else available. No choice of eateries close by. Please don't stay here, it's a awful place.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels