“Location, location”

Super 8 Hollywood/LA Area
Ranked #258 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed November 11, 2008

the staff was nice and helpful especially the asian receptionist(Tess) and so with the cleaning lady. walgreens is next door neighbor and food for less is across the street. lots of restaurants and fast food within walking distance. hollywood walk of fame, beverly hills and griffith park are minutes away. neighborhood is not that bad as per other reviews. lots of poeple walking around so i felt safe even late at night. you could see hollywood sign and griffith park from my window with some obstacles but more clearer at the rooftop. i used nikon d50 camera.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank amosh101

Reviewed October 23, 2008

Great Location between Hollywood and Sunset Blvds.

As a bonus we could see the Hollywood sign from our room on the 3rd floor!!!!!!!

Room's were clean and spacious, breakfast was served downstairs - juice, coffee, pastries and cereals

easy to find from the interstate.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank chicken
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Well after looking at the other reviews on this site, nobody will be surprised that this place is a real dump.
We didn't so much choose to stay here so much as took a risk on a one star room on Hotwire and lost.

The hotel is in a dodgy area (evidenced by the LAPD takedown we walked by one block from the hotel, oh, and the LAPD helicoptor that seemed to do loops around the hotel on a nightly basis) however I never felt personally threatened (but then I am a big guy).

A few good points though.
The lady at check in was very friendly, and knew the area pretty well.
There is a 24 hour Walgreens right beside the hotel.
The subway is a 2 block walk.

The bad points far outnumber the good ones though.
Since we were prepaid through Hotwire we were pretty well stuck here for 5 nights.
On the first night my girlfriend couldn't take the stink of the room any longer and had to buy a few deodourizers at Walgreens just to try and chase the stench of smoke and sweat and filthy floor out of the room.
The bed was hard as a rock, and only had 2 nasty pillows.
The hallways were humid and stunk.
Room was tiny, and while it did include a fridge, once we got our luggage into the room you couldn't access it.
The aforementioned police activity in the area.
The pay per minute internet in the lobby was dreadfully slow.

I'll leave it at that and just say that this place should be avoided, it is nasty, and the reviews here saying it's nasty are years old, so the management obviously has taken no steps to better the property.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bbbradk
Reviewed September 15, 2008

-cramped - both bed area and bathroom as we had a room with 2 double beds which was clearly a single bed room converted
-comes with a fridge but the room had no space to move around
-bathroom shower curtain could use a change as it was dirty
-relatively clean bed area but over priced for what is charged
-4 floors with one elevator
-comes with included wi-fi
-the worse excuse for a breakfast included place - coffee, tea and stale sugar donuts that the homeless guy didn't even want
-overall, would not recommend this place

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Domenicd2000
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We are a family of 4 with small children, and planned our first sightseeing vacation to LA for August. When I won this motel on priceline and read some bad reviews, I was very concerned. But we actually had a good stay.

Friendly staff, a clean ample room with fridge and coffee maker, a tub for us to soak in after a long day out, a decent free breakfast, access to a microwave 24hrs in the breakfast area for heating my sons milk and snacks, fast elevator, free parking, affordable internet accessin the lobby, all made this a perfectly adecuate motel for our needs and good value for the price we paid.

Things to be improved were the rough sheets and towels, also the bathroom did not get cleaned very well, until I asked the cleaning lady.

We would stay there again, if a hotel with pool was not available for the price we want to pay.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I mistakenly booked this roach motel on Hotwire, thinking it was the Ramada in West Hollywood. It was a mistake that costed me $100 and a couple of the most miserable hours of my life.

I have no doubt that the first two reviews on this hotel were plants by the management. Outside of homeless people, drug addicts, and street walkers; no one in their right mind would think this hotel was remotely decent.

As a Colorado resident I've spent a lot of time in the mountains, "roughing it", so I rarely complain. I'm by no means a prima donna. As soon as I walked into the room though, I knew I just couldn't bear it.

The hotel is in a really nasty part of Hollywood. There are no tourist attractions nearby, but there are plenty of sleezy bars and other "no tell motels". There was a shady character hanging out in the parking lot. The lobby is straight out of a movie with the manager behind bullet-proof glass and a foul stench. I thought he was going to ask if I wanted to rent the room by the hour. The stench followed me into the elevator and the 2nd floor hallway. The room itself had a completely different stench, which I later traced back to backed up sewage in the bathroom.

As soon as I got into the room I ripped the 70s-era dirty comforter off of the bed for fear of it not being washed in some time. The underside had several yellow stains on it (I can only imagine where they came from). The sheets were easily the lowest thread count I've ever seen.

The room itself is small with extremely dated furniture. A clothing rack serves the place of a closet. The bathroom is similar to what you might find in low-end old college housing. There is a table with two chairs; both which had stains all over the cushions. The carpet was also badly stained and not something you'd want to walk on with bare feet.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank DenverWing
Reviewed May 11, 2008

I definitely agree with the postings other people placed on this motel. Everything the website says on this motel are lies. First of all, the pictures they put on the website are totally deceiving. You can't see the Hollywood sign as they tell you, there are no free wireless in every room, there is a pay by the minute computer in the lobby which is sooooooo slow and old, the room stinks like pee, the floors are sticky, the bed is rock hard and bed sheets has stains on it, the fridge don't really work, the towels are old and stained, ice machine is on the second floor and vending machines doesn't work (makes no sense why they put vending machine on first floor and ice machine on second floor in a four story place), and the free breakfast they claim is made up of donuts, coffee and cereal.

Most importantly, if they find out that you are a tourist, they will change the motel rates without warning. We have a AAA discount and they wouldn't honor it just because they don't want to honor it. Try and argue that over a bullet proof glass (no wonder). We found six other motels around the area and found very reasonable rates and more pleasant than this Super 8 dump.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple