“Amazing Fries....”

Los Angeles, California
“Amazing Fries....”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The skinny:

Parking: valet or street (metered)
Decor: Nautical
Bathroom: single use, also nautical
Service: very good
Food: it was just ok

soooooo we really wanted to go to Animal and although I tried to get a reservation, after 3 calls, no one ever called back so on a whim we decided to try Son of a Gun (same owner). Despite winging it, we were seated in 10 minutes at the bar. The bar only seats 5 and the bartender was super friendly and the service was good. Not so good was the 3 people who stood next to us trying to drink and eat appetizers on literally 1 foot of bar space.

We ordered:
Cucumber salad: different and refreshing with so many types of cucumbers that I had never tried before, the crispy shallots were a nice addition to the dish.
Chicken Sandwich: somewhere we heard that it was the best ever. Well, it was tasty...best ever....not really. The bun is soaked in butter then toasted and the slaw was nice. Not much chicken but a lot of breading.
Fries: really good, best thing we had
Shrimp Toast: soaked in oil and so much mayo that when I tried to cut into it, the mayo spooged out the sides. I had the scrape if off, not appetizing. The oily taste overwhelmed any shrimp flavor. Not so great.

Maybe sitting at a table would have been better? Not sure
Will I go back? prob not
Will I try Animal? yes, but I will only make one call.....

• Visited September 2013

Richmond, Va
“Excellent and interesting”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Love this place Fantastic juicy fried chicken sandwich with spicy slaw does not miss. Shrimp toast is interesting and a nice thing to cut up and share. Seating is a little wierd but service is good - attentive and fast Mulltiple dishes means many visits from the staff. They are not intrusive but smart and professional. Desert was just right. After a bunch of different creations stretch your Taste buds, the subtle design of the lime yogurt meringue was perfect!

• Visited September 2013
Nelson, New Zealand
“Crab shack wanna-be, but still good food”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I had plans to go to one of my fav places on 3rd st to eat, and while walking there passed Son of a Gun. It was somewhat early (7'ish) and the place is small, so it was already pretty booked. I walked in, saw all the tables full and the hostess said there's a single seat against the wall. Ok, I thought, I'll try it. didn't care for the seating- facing the wall of marine paraphernalia- but the menu looked interesting, and I was craving fried chicken. The waitress came by quickly and took my drink order - tiny wine list, all french (great for me, but kind of strange), overpriced, though. My drink came right away, and she also was quick on the food order, but it seemed to take a long time for my food to arrive.
Backing up, I did find the menu creative and very "Maine-ish with an LA twist". I ordered the lobster roll (which everyone talks about here)- and while tasty, it was very small and definitely not as good as the east coast original. I then had the fried chicken sandwich w/ spicy pickle slaw and rooster (?) aioli. THIS was great. The chicken was perfectly done- crispy and juicy and it came on a brioche roll- killer. The slaw was actually spicy- something I tend to complain about - calling a dish "spicy' only to taste a watered-down flavour. I had to cut the sandwich in half to eat and it was filling. Back to the service, the place was getting really busy by now, and trying to get my waitress' attention for another drink was a challenge. I finally did, but I was pretty well finished with my meal by then...
I had high hopes of having the peach & berry pie w/ salted buttermilk ice cream, but was really full.
I would probably recommend this place for takeaway food- the atmosphere leaves alot to desire, and the service, while friendly, was slow.

• Visited July 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Good Try, but misses.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you're going to serve small plates at communal tables and charge a premium, the experience better be perfect. It was not. They want to re-imagine and upscale the experience of string in a Maine crab shack, I get it. But it just didn't work. For starters, there was a shell in our lobster roll. I suppose I could end the review there, that's all you need to know. They did the right thing and took it off our check, but still...come on now. Aside from that, except for the linguini with clams which was great, there was nothing all that memorable. In another setting with less hype and a less hip location, this would not be a big deal and really expensive for what you get. If you're from the east coast, you're definitely not going to be impressed. At all.

• Visited May 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Best Lobster Rolls”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This place is always busy and we only managed to get take out Lobster Rolls, which was by far the best we've ever had! It is quite expensive for the portion but its the quality... not quantity!

• Visited September 2012