“Not the greatest experience!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Picca

Picca
Reserve with OpenTable
Picca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #158 of 9,847 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Japanese, Peruvian, Latin
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: LAX Area
Cross street: South Beverly Drive
Description: Picca is a Peruvian cantina, marrying the tradition & culture of Peruvian cuisine with the incredible bounty our home in Southern California offers. Here you'll find dishes not only highlighting the classics like anticucho corazon (grilled beef heart skewers) & ceviches, but also some surprises influenced by the diversity of Peruvian culture. From Nikkei to Chifa, Pisco to Callao, our family-style dining showcases all that's best about Peru.
New York City, New York
“Not the greatest experience!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

The atomsphere of the restaurant was upscale on the first floor, but seating upstairs was kind of dingy and isolated. My friends and I are very much into Peruvian food but were not thrilled with this restaurant. We've heard many great reviews of Picca from friends and were very excited to go for dinner, but as soon as the waiter came around, he wasn't the nicest. He asked if we were familiar with Peruvian food, so we said yes and my friend mentioned how he is actually Peruvian himself. The waiter said "so?". We thought he was joking at first and there was a minute or so of awkward silence when we realized he was serious and just plain rude. He proceeded to describe the menu and give us his recommendations.
The food was ok, not that great, and didn't really have flavor at all. The lomo saltado didn't have much taste and I was disappointed (it's my favorite Peruvian dish). When he came to bring us the bill, we looked it over and found that he charged us the 20% gratuity for 6 people, while we were only 5. We pointed out the error and he apologized and corrected the bill. If we didn't pay attention to the breakdown of the bill, we would have given him an extra tip, not knowing it was already added in.
All in all, we didn't have a great experience and probably won't return next time we're in LA.

Los Angeles, California
“No Picca Boos at this Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am a big fan of restaurants that improvise and improve on traditional dishes. I also enjoy small-plate restaurants, allowing for a sampling of multiple foods. Picca is a great combination of both passions. While a bit pricey, the quality, presentation, and taste of each dish is excellent. Servers and service are friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt. While the entire order is taken at one time, courses are spread out, allowing time for enjoying 1-2 at a time rather than all being served at once. Drinks are very creative and excellent. If dining on the main floor, be aware that the noise level is extremely high; for the "older" crowd, consider eating upstairs where the sound is lessened yet you have a great view of the action downstairs. My recommendations: Seco de Pato (braised duck leg), Ceviche Crocante (halibut, calamari), Anticucho Diver Scallops or Conchas a la Parmesana (scallops), and Anticucho Pescado (branzino filet).

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Brookline, New Hampshire
“Fabulous Peruvian Cuisine!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

An eclectic mix of flavors that truly excite the palate! The menu is divided into sections titled "street food" instead of your standard "appetizers" and "entrees"

All the dishes are smaller (but plentiful) than typical plates in restaurants which allows you the opportunity to sample the many incredible flavors.

Make reservations----this place was crazy busy on a Tuesday night. Clearly an L. A. hotspot!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
“Unique Peruvian Japanese fusion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have been to Picca on a couple occasions, and left happy each time. Their menu is tapas style offering a wide variety ranging from peruvian style ribs to grilled octopus, and their wait staff brings it all out in a proper order of dishes depending on what you order. It's a little on the pricey side considering the portions, but you don't come here to save money, you come for the great unique food, helpful staff and the fun atmosphere.

• Visited November 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Pricey, Ridiculously Small Portions, and somehow worth it..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

It is absolutely amazing how ridiculously expensive and SMALL the portions are, also the drinks.. I know, I know they have a top world mixologist and all.. but for 12 dollars I would like a drink that it is not toddler size.. That said.. the pisco sour is the BEST ONE I have had in my entire life.. It was creamy and delicious, foamy and luxurious.. The food was absolutely fantastic, I think we had the plates that looked like they could have the most food, which is just not possible in this restaurant.. You will spend a lot of money, and will probably end up hungry.. haha By the way I am not a super size me type person, I am 108 pounds so I don´t eat that much and I always complain about gigantic portions, however here they go the complete opposite extreme.. lt is a restaurant that I will be able to afford probably once a year, still it is worth trying, also the service from the waitresses and the hostess was first class, they make you feel like you are a very important person going to eat there.. All and all, highly recommended.

• Visited October 2012