“You can touch Hollywood!”

Loews Hollywood Hotel
Ranked #19 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“You can touch Hollywood!”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

What a great location. So close to Hollywood.

Staff were super friendly and helpful. Room was great and we could look out at the Holywood sign every dayThere is only one restaurant - Prestons, but it was great at breakfast time. Staff were just amazingly friendly.

Only strange thing was atray of empty champagne glasses that lay in the corridor for 3 days.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ArabianVisitor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Maryborough, Australia
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My family and I travelled from Australia stayed in the Loews Hollywood Hotel for 3 nights. The hotel itself is quite luxurious and comfortable but when checking out I noticed we had been charged fro the mini bar which we had not used, still waiting for contact from the Hotel as when I questioned it I was referred to accounts but could only leave a message. I found the atmosphere was very impersonal, it is Hollywood I guess. I hope this is not common practice in the US as there seems to always be a hidden charge for everything.

1 Thank Shellie K
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is going to be the best review I’ve ever written – so beware!
I’ve stayed at a lot of hotels but Loews Hollywood (formally the Renaissance) is by far the best hotel, in every aspect, that I’ve encountered. The rooms are very open and comfortable, the lobby is awesome as is the pool and gym, but the best part of the hotel is the customer service. I was treated so kindly and all staff members went over and above what they needed to do to accommodate my every request. I even had one of the maintenance men help me steam my wrinkled dress, so I could wear it that evening. The staff even took the time to get to know me, ask and remember how my vacation was going and I just felt like I was with family, while I was there. I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I could go on and on, but I won’t because I’m pretty sure you get the gist of this review. I Love This Hotel!

Room Tip: I wanted a quiet room and was at the end of the hall w/a great view of Hollywood.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2012

So My girlfriend and I were super excited to stay at this hotel considering its location to an event we had in the area and also all that we could do without having to drive! Parking rates were great but for the price of the room we expected a little more.
First off, I was floored that they wanted to charge us $13 a day for wifi!!! Give me a flipping break!! Even the Johnny Rockets had it when we went down for a late night snack!
They said they have a turn down service come in but no one came while we were gone from 530 to 11pm. The TV was fuzzy and only half the channels worked until I had to tighten all cables in the back. The cabanas looked like they bought them from home depot. The express checkout didn't work and they don't have an express checkout box in the lobby.
I would not stay there again. For a hotel that's tryin to be a hip modern place it didn't measure up!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank GavsMonkey
Belgium
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We booked 1 night just for a stopover prior to visit the universal studios. As we booked the hotel under the "renaissance" name, we first had some troubles to find the entrance, after one of the valets told us "this is Loews, not renaissance". An overpainted board on which i discovered some renaissance traces under the Loews logo told me that we were right.

The rooms were very clean and nice, and the staff was very friendly. Parking for $10 per day is ok (compared to European standards). Also a nice shopping area next to the hotel. In the morning we just needed a 10 minutes drive to Universal City, so for this purpose the hotel was just perfect !

Only one disappointing minor event: my wife forgot to pack a pair of pants , which never turned up into Lost & Found service when i called them a few hours after check out.

2 Thank starexplorer
Reading,Berks, UK
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Our 4 day stay started as Renaissance and finished as Loews, although not much changed that quickly.

The room was adequate without being brilliant although did benefit from a sideways glance of the Hollywood sign.

The heated pool was a really nice refuge after a day's site seeing. The pool bar was alright, but the barman kept disappearing for 5-10 mins. If you stand in the right place you can just about photograph someone in the pool with the sign in the background!

We found out on day 2 that there is an exit on the 2nd floor that goes straight into the shopping centre and also provides easy access to Hollywood Blvd.

You really don't need a car at this hotel. There are many restaurants of various quality and price brackets in close proximity. I'll just mention Mel's Diner; not the original (walk down the hill and across Hollywood Blvd), but still a good breakfast experience.

Trips out can be done by taxi - we went to Warner Studios VIP tour (recommended) and by the metro - we went to a Dodger's game (Dodger's Express (free bus) from Union Square) - or of course walking. The Hollywood things are right on your doorstep and even the Hollywood Bowl is very walkable (up the hill) if there is someting on - we enjoyed the whole experience of the bowl. We also did a "tour" - just over 2hrs from LA City tours - personally I wasn't interested in which star lived in which house but no trip to Hollywood would be complete with getting away from the Blvd and seeing the "nice" areas

There were a lot of "bums" about so probably walking would not be so savoury after midnight.

So in summary good hotel in good location (at an OK price) - we will have to see what Loews do to the hotel

Room Tip: Higher the better - some rooms offer glimpses of the Hollywood sign
1 Thank woodchal
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2012

When we booked this was a Renaissance Hotel but it had changed hands by the time we arrived on 20 June. Check in was very quick, we went up to our room on the 8th floor which was lovely but only had a king size bed and we had requested twin beds. But this was not a problem as soon as we explained to reception they gave us a room on the 18th floor which had the added bonus of a view of the Hollywood sign and downtown LA.

The room itself was nicely furnished and very clean as was the bathroom. The beds were extremely comfortable. However i was woken early (approx 6am) by the sound of water running through the pipes( i think the person in the next room was having an early shower) On a more postive note there was very little noise to disturb you from outside the hotel.

We had breakfast on two mornings in the restaurant. Waffles on both occasions so cannot comment on the buffet breakfast. What we had was tasty and the service was very good. Different waiters but both very friendly.

Check out was very quick.

The only other negative i can come up with is the cost of wi fi. As we only wanted to use it to check in for our flights home i was very reluctant to pay the $12 plus dollars they were charging for a days use. Although there was several places close by (Starbucks being one) with free wi fi so it wasnt that much of an issue.

1 Thank raspberryduchess