“Business Trip made fun”

Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Ranked #57 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I stayed at the Kimpton Wilshire in April 2014. Having experienced Kimpton in Denver, I had high expectations and they were met. My room was on the 6th floor with a pretty view of the valley. The room was extremely clean and there was no wasted space at all. The location is fantastic, about 8-10 miles away from Santa Monica and less than two miles away from Rodeo Drive. What made my trip was the excellent Valet service (hardly any wait for the car) and the fact that you can borrow bicycles and go around. Hardly anyone walks in LA so that makes for a great bike ride. The Grove is a few miles away by bike. The pool is really small so don't expect to get a work out. The only mishap I had was being overcharged for bar items that I didn't use but the front desk was great about fixing my bill upon check out.

Room Tip: Ask for a view...you may be surprised even if the hotel is barely 7 floors high.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Dear Traveler,

I am simply thrilled that your recent visit to the Hotel Wilshire did not disappoint. I love that you managed to fit in some Kimpton fun while traveling on business. From the rooftop to your bike ride around the local area, sounds like it was a great stay. I truly hope you will keep us in mind the next time business (or leisure) brings you back to LA.

All the best,

Reviewed May 11, 2014

When I first started writing this review I was going to give 3 stars, but as I wrote it, I became so angry, I lowered it to 2.

I've come to love the Kimpton brand in recent years after many stays at the Palomar in Washington DC and Philadelphia. However, this hotel seemed to be of a completely different breed. We booked a Hollywood "Suite," which, from the description given, was supposed to have a view of the Hollywood Hills, and a separate bedroom as well as a living room with a sofa bed (there were 3 of us traveling). Given the price of the room, and the photos on the website, I expected it to be fabulous.

The reality was a very ordinary "room" with nice views, but only a partial wall between the living room and bedroom. I immediately called the Front Desk, and we were moved to another "suite" on the 3rd floor with no views, but the bedroom was separate from the living room (which was absolutely necessary for us). Still rather ordinary, not the fabulous "suite" I was expecting or usually see in the Kimpton brand. There were stains on the carpet, which a few minuted with a steam cleaner could have removed. The sofa bed was unmade, and no linens or pillows provided for it in the room. We had to call three times over four hours to have someone come to make up the bed. You would think that a reservation for 3 people in a "suite" with 1 king and a sofa bed would indicate to the staff that we would be needing the sofa bed prepared.

We had reservations for dinner on the Roof (which does have great views), but when we arrived, there was a film shoot going on, and we were asked to have a seat at the bar for a few minutes. It took 30 minutes to be seated at an awful table practically in the middle of a heavily trafficked bar area. The outside terrace was almost entirely occupied by the film crew. No offer of a drink while we waited, not even an apology.

Overall, a pretty bad and very costly experience. I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank peter07043
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We picked the Wiltshire as a bit of a treat, being that it's one of the more expensive hotels in LA. When we arrived the valet and the check in staff were very friendly. We were also upgraded to a suite which we were thrilled about. However once we got to the room it was a bit of a disappointment. The carpets were stained, as was the couch which was also threadbare in places. The staff saved the day though, rectifying the problem immediately with no fuss.

The new room had a great bed with a really nice modern bathroom, nice quite AC unit too. The pool on the roof was a little disappointing. I didn't realize from the photos that it's very small. My bad for just glancing at the photographs, but if you're expecting to swim lengths - you won't be able to! The view from up there is nice and there's a decent bar and restaurant.

Overall it was a good stay. I think for the price we paid Kimpton need to do some upgrades/refurnishing to the rooms though. Even our new room had some smaller stains on the carpet and the couch. Luckily it's only minor and the fantastic staff make up for it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andyg7

Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review about your recent experience. I'm so sorry to hear there were a few snafus in your room, however I'm happy to hear that our staff was able to quickly spring into action and rectify the issue. Our rooftop pool is indeed designed for dipping, not necessarily swimming laps, but the view and the Roof restaurant truly make it a quintessential LA experience. I hope you will give us another try and I'm confident on your return visit, we will blow you away!

Until then,

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Unfortunately our experience was not as pleasant as seen in the other reviews. As far as being pleasant, all were very pleasant. Our first problem in our four night stay was the telephone didn't work, next the television volume had a governor which kept the sound way too low. It took a day for them to remedy this. The heavy shower handle fell off missing my toes by a fraction of an inch. One must step into the high-sided tub to shower or bathe. Unfortunately there were no grab bars. The side of the tub was very high. The frosted glass door to the bathroom did not close fully giving essentially no privacy for anyone inside. The refrigerator / minbar door was very difficult to close requiring rearranging the hotel items inside to "jimmy" it closed. The valet gave us the wrong rental car. We were going to our son's wedding rehearsal and realized after the ½ hr drive that it was not our rental. My husband drove the car back to return the car to the hotel and missed the rehearsal. The next day, they again had the wrong car waiting for us. The hotel reimbursed us for all of the parking fees. Our last day/ night our room was not cleaned until very late in the day, after several requests. The refrigerator enclosure was completely unventilated.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank regolg3dance
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Traveler,

Oh my, this is definitely not the kind of review we want to see. We pride ourselves on our product and service, so I am terribly sorry that you left with a negative impression of our hotel. We have followed up on all the issues you detailed below, so thank you so much for making us aware. I sincerely hope that you will give us another try in the future. I urge you to contact me directly if you plan to return and I will personally take care of your reservations and make sure we take amazing care of you. My apologies once again and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

All the best,

ashley.gochnauer@hotelwilshire.com

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Out with the girls and looking for a Sunday spot to relax and have a few cocktails. The Rooftop at the Hotel Wilshire is a nice looking space with a tiny pool but intimate seating and great views. They have a fresh looking designed menu with $5 mimosas, sounds good, yes? It took over an hour to get my first mimosa and the place was half full. The wait staff spent more time milling around the bar talking to each other or MIA all together.
We ordered dessert for my girlfriend's birthday which was average at best.
The afternoon scene and view I give 3 1/2 stars, the food/drink 2 1/2 stars.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Beth,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your visit to the Roof restaurant. I'm so sorry to hear that you encountered long wait times. I can completely understand how frustrating that can be. I have forwarded your comments along to the Roof management team so these issues can be addressed with the staff. I truly hope that you will decide to give us another try in the future.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I spent here my first honey moon night and it totally worth it! The staff gave us an upgrade to celebrate our marriage and left us complimentary drinks and a kind message at the room! I strongly recommend it! The bar at the rooftop has a great view!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Traveler,

First and foremost, congratulations on your recent nuptials! What an exciting milestone. I'm so happy that we could play a part in it and we started off your honeymoon on a positive note! Such an occasion is definitely worth celebrating, so I'm so glad our staff took such good care of you. I truly hope you enjoyed the rest of your honeymoon just as much. Hopefully we can welcome you back for your first anniversary, if not before!

Congratulations again,

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Excellent!! Nothing more needs to be said. Staff very friendly. Rooms are outstanding. Location is perfect. If you haven't found this piece of heaven, you need to check it out. I plan on staying here every time I am here. So relaxing and very quiet.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Onedawgy
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear Traveler,

Wow is right! What a great review! I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience, from start to finish! It sounds like we will be your hotel of choice when your travels bring you back to LA, and we are so grateful for that. We aim to give our guests a relaxing stay with friendly service, so I'm glad to hear we succeeded. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Until next time,