“Nice funky hotel in a surprisingly good location” 4 of 5 stars

The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel
Ranked #59 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice funky hotel in a surprisingly good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband in May 2013 for 2 nights.

The hotel is clean modern and the rooms more than adequate. Terrible water pressure for showers though.

Wifi was free when we joined the hotel club.

Staff at the front desk were so friendly and helpful.

Location of hotel is good (given this is LA) provided you want to stay away from Hollywood and the main strip. Although it might seem that there is not much around the hotel - nothing in immediate vicinity- the hotel is comfortable walking distance to the grove and the great farmers market and also the Beverly Centre. About $15 to $20 taxi ride to Hollywood Boulevard (around Chinese theatre area).

Check out the roof top bar which has great views of LA. Only downside we had dinner there second night and the food was just ok. The service was awful. Avoid.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was travelling to LA quite a bit last year and this hotel was my preferred hotel of choice. Where I have to admit that I can't pick out any one thing that this hotel does outstanding, it is a good all around balanced hotel. Convenient location, very reasonably priced, clean and spacious rooms, nice ambiance at the restaurant upstairs . . . the view out of most of the rooms is mediocre at best, but the view from the rooftop restaurant and pool is great, especially at sunset.

Room Tip: I don't remember room number sequences, but ask for a front facing room or a room all the way ba...
Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Wilshire for 3 nights. Overall it was an enjoyable stay. Staff was friendly. Room was modern, bathroom was big. Not much of a view from our room, which oversaw the carpark. Carpet was also a bit dirty. Had requested a higher floor room but no luck on this stay. Amenities where good. Room was cleaned on time. Found the valet parking quite steep in price but right next door, there is a private car park where u can park with in/out privileges for $12/Day.

Although we didn't get a chance to use the roof top pool/bar, we did go up to see it and was impressed with the design.

There is also an McDonald's about 50m away. Closest grocery store is about 2min drive.

Overall an enjoyable stay. Nothing that particularly stood out nor was anything bad.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor room not facing the back car park.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shamichael
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Traveler,

I'm so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay, but next time we hope to truly wow you! I'm happy to hear that you found our amenities to be well appointed and that you enjoyed the hotel's design. If you do come back for a return visit, I hope you can spend some time up at our rooftop and enjoy the delicious food and great views. We hope you will keep us in mind for your future travels to LA!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Kimpton Hotels seem to have found there niche of having a very modern, updated and comfortable setting for their hotels. This is one of the most comfortable hotels I've been in LA. Now, it's not super fancy like some others, and I wouldn't put it in the luxury category, but still - very modern, very nice.

Staff seems friendly for LA, which means indifferent by southern standards, and positively cold by midwest standards.

Nice pool and bar setup, but not much of a lobby/waiting area. No gym, but they will give you a complementary pass to an LA Fitness down the street (which doesn't look like its been updated since the 70's or when Lou Ferrigno was popular).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Traveler,

We are on a mission! That mission is to change the perception that LA hotels are not as warm and friendly as in other parts of the country. I'm glad you found our staff to be genuine and service oriented but next time we hope to exceed your expectations even more! Although our lobby is on the smaller side, we consider ourselves to be small and intimate, but mighty nonetheless! We hope that you'll come back and visit us again so we can continue to show you what makes the Hotel Wilshire a special place to be.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I recently stayed at The Hotel Wilshire for business. I usually stay at the Kimpton (Hotel Palomar) in Westwood, but I wanted to check out the new property. It's tucked away in an odd spot, but I loved this place. It's a quick drive to the Grove and Farmers Market, the Beverly Center, West Hollywood, and everything else. The location is great. But the real amazing feature is the rooftop pool and restaurant. I used to take friends visiting to the top level of the parking garage at the Grove because it has such an amazing view and way to show people all the parts of LA. Now, I can just take them to the roof of the Hotel Wilshire.

I had a great room with a wonderful view of the Hollywood sign. As usual, the restaurant was delicious, the service was top notch, and the room was well designed and well appointed.

My only complaint is the hotel doesn't have a fitness center on site. You get to use the LA Fitness a few blocks down the street which is a full gym, but it is convenient when the fitness center is on site. They are planning on adding one eventually.

Room Tip: See if you can get a view of the Hollywood sign.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Traveler,

It's so great to get a positive review from a Kimpton loyalist! I'm so glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stays at the Palomar and have now discovered the new Kimpton in town! And I totally agree - our rooftop is indeed a gem! It's a real hidden oasis in the middle of LA. But all of this would mean nothing if the team did not deliver that top notch service, so that is what we strive for with each and every guest. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will come back and visit us soon.

Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The rooms are small but nicely done. Comfortable beds for sure. No bathtub though. The bathrooms are great however. I could hear the couple above me in the morning. Not cool. I only stayed one night and got in late so I can't say much more. I did enjoy the snacks. Overall it was a good value and a nice, clean place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Although you were only with us for a brief stay, I'm so glad that you found our bathrooms well designed and you enjoyed a peaceful night's sleep in our comfortable beds. I'm so sorry that you were then disturbed by noise from the room upstairs! I do hope that we will see you again and that you can stay for longer next time. You'll definitely need to check out our rooftop and hopefully partake in our evening Wine Hour. That way you can get the full Hotel Wilshire experience! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly when your travels bring you back to LA.

Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

First of all I was somewhat reluctant to stay at Hotel Wilshire. While traveling alone I have specific requirements I like to fulfill. Namely, I like to be away from the elevators and noise and have a room with a nice deep soaking tub. Previous reviewers said the rooms were a little small So i opted for a larger room or suite. But Cesar was very helpful in letting me know which rooms would best suit me. I became aware that the larger suites were close to the elevators, didn't have large soaking tubs or were overlooking Wilshire Boulevard, which tends to be a bit noisy.

I couldn't have been more happy with my choice of room. It had a nice view of the mountains and was far away from any noisy elevators or crowds. (Room 611)
It had a nice large soaking tub, which was perfect for hoofing it all day around town. To make my stay even more comfortable Cesar surprised me with a fruit plate and a bottle of red wine. What I loved most about this gesture was the fact that, as a native Californian, along with strawberries and other fruit, there was a fresh cactus apple and a lychee fruit. I loved growing up in California and having all of these wonderful fruits available to me, but rarely get to enjoy now.

I didn't have much experience with the restaurant, Other than hanging around the pool later in the afternoon after all the younger people left or grabbed tables for something to eat. I was there for about an hour before one of the waitresses finally stopped and asked if I might want a menu. I have traveled alone extensively throughout my life, though I am currently married with the family. I am still shocked that a person traveling alone is rarely acknowledged, unless, of course, they are a man. It took quite a while for the staffer to bring me a drink, And I had to hunt people down to ask for a check. I finally gave up and went to my room then called up to the restaurant to let them know I had ordered a drink. Had the waitress acknowledged my presence she would have realized that I tip well. So it seems the restaurant is living up to its questionable reputation on TA.

I would certainly stay at the hotel again. It was comfortable, cozy, very clean, in a very convenient location and the staff at the front desk was very helpful.

As for parking I took a tip from trip advisor to park in a lot nearby. Arriving on Friday I paid $10 just down the block The parking attendant added that the weekend would be free since nobody parks in the lot during that time.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Traveler,

It's great to see one of our employees' names up in lights! Cesar is a stellar member of our Front Desk team, so I'm so happy that he took good care of you during your recent stay and assisted in finding the perfect room. On a different note, I am so sorry that you were not promptly acknowledged up at the Roof. I can completely relate to how frustrating that can be, so I deeply apologize that you had this experience. I have shared your comments with our restaurant team and they take this feedback to heart since we aim to give our guests amazing service from start to finish. So glad however that you found the Front Desk staff to be friendly and accommodating. I truly hope we can host you on your next visit to LA.