“Great Place”

Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Ranked #59 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 24, 2013

From the moment I walked in the lobby I knew this boutique hotel was going to be great. The valet was prompt, front desk couldnt have been nicer and accommodating. They upgraded me to a suite - the room was awesome. Spacious, clean, wonderful furniture, bathroom I wish I had at home! Kimpton is to the top of my list when traveling now.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Traveler,

Sounds like love at first sight! I'm so glad that we were able to make such a great first impression. And sounds like it was your lucky day with the upgrade! I'm so happy that we were able to make this a memorable experience for you. I hope that the Hotel Wilshire (and Kimpton) will remain at the top of your list for a long time to come.

Thanks for the great review,

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at this Kimpton Hotel from New Year's Day 2013 for five days and loved it. The location is great, a short walk to the LACMA, and The Grove for shopping is quite close.
Traveled with two teenagers, so the room was perfect because there was a sitting room area with its own TV.
It has a hip, modern vibe and the pool top restaurant is a fabulous setting with a view of the Hollywood sign. Breakfast in the sunshine was delightful, and dinner on our first night was good too. Would definitely stay there again and have booked a Kimpton hotel for a Washington DC trip in April because we were so impressed with the service and attention to detail.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the top floor
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RhonC
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Traveler,

First and foremost, happy belated new year! I'm so happy that you chose the Hotel Wilshire to ring in 2013. I agree that our suites are the Wilshire are the perfect accommodations for bringing the whole family. And our location is well situated for all that LA has to offer. I am also so glad to hear that you enjoyed both breakfast and dinner up at our rooftop. Not only is the food delicious, but the view can't be beat! I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip to LA.

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last week and was sick during my business trip. The staff ran out to get me DayQuil and the housekeeping staff (Hilda) left me a care tray in my room while I was at a meeting. The tray had an electric kettle, tea, tissues and a note. Now that's an awesome hotel!!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank SchnurbT

Dear Traveler,

Wow! The best service you have ever received! Our staff was so happy to see your comments. I hope you are feeling better since your recent visit (that was actually me who brought you Dayquil!). We realize that there is nothing worse than traveling while you're sick, not to mention having to be "on" all day at important meetings. Here at the Wilshire, we try to give some extra TLC to our guests who are under the weather, realizing it's tough to be away from home. We try our best to communicate as a team so we can create those surprise moments for our guests. I'm so glad this resonated in your case! I hope we will be your hotel of choice for your future travels to LA.

Don't be a stranger,

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I love staying at Kimpton hotels for their great amenities and super accommodating staff. But my favorite thing about this great line of hotels is that they allow dogs. Not like other hotels who claim to allow pets, but then impose size, breed, or weight restrictions along with exorbitant non-refundable fees or deposits, but a general pet friendly policy.

We stayed at the Hotel Wilshire over my birthday weekend where the agenda consisted primarily of museum hopping, along with grabbing some great local eats. This location is on Wilshire Blvd, near West Hollywood. It was the perfect location to walk to several great areas, including LACMA, La Brea Tar Pits, and more, discovering unique shops and restaurants along the way. We found an outstanding breakfast on Melrose, and I highly recommend a morning jog to Urth Café. The caveat is that you need to get there early, the wait can be long if you arrive too late in the morning... and they have a pet friendly patio. The surrounding neighborhoods, once you go back a block or two off of Wilshire around the hotel are also very cool and a great place to explore while taking your dog out for some air. I did see a few hobos, but I never felt unsafe or out of place. But then again, I did have a big dog protecting me.

The standard rooms(aka Deluxe rooms) are actually quite small, around 280 sq. feet. Our Belgian shepherd accompanied us on this trip, and we found the room to be too small the moment we walked in and realized we would constantly be tripping over her. We asked the front desk if there were any upgraded rooms available. We were willing to pay the extra fees for a little more leg room, and as soon as we asked, the front desk was more than gracious and upgraded us complimentary to a suite. Outstanding customer service, another reason I love these hotels! While I can’t remember the specific type of suite, the room consisted of a small living room and a large bedroom with a king size bed. We were on the third floor, so there was basically no view to speak of, but the room was very quiet and comfortable, especially lounging around in the super comfy animal print bathrobes that are provided as part of the amenities.

The roof has a nice little pool area with a clear view of the hills, including Beverly Hills and the Hollywood sign. Although we didn’t get into the pool since the weather was cool and kind of windy, the restaurant, aptly named The Roof, serves outstanding food and cocktails. We tried several items on the menu, including the burger (our favorite), the grilled cheese, Nori nachos, soup, and several of their specialty cocktails. The cocktails use a lot of ginger which we love, but beware if you like to steer clear of strong flavors.

The hotel is very clean, modern, and trendy. The price point is standard for this type of hotel, but if you are a member of their loyalty program, they offer great last-minute deals, with greatly discounted rates. Although this was a weekend trip with my husband and dog, this is also a hotel I would stay at if I was traveling alone. The hotel itself is very safe and secure, as is the parking structure.

Room Tip: Choose a larger room if you are traveling with a pet. The standard (deluxe) rooms are too small for...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whaltar

Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and your dog did too! All Kimpton properties strive to be as pet friendly as possible, so I'm so happy that you had such a positive experience. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience up at the Roof (I love the Nori Nachos too!). I sincerely hope that all 3 of you will come back to visit us soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and spent two nights here on arrival from Aus after a very long flight.

The room was spotlessly clean and a good size. As it was summer, we loved the roof top bar and restaurant, the perfect unwind after a busy day touring the sights of LA.

The only negative for us was the location. It was just a little too far out for our liking, given that we only had 2 nights in LA and had not yet collected our hire car. Had we not been jet lagged and therefore able to drive, the hotel would have been perfect.

Room Tip: Great if you mind a long walk or a taxi to the Beverly Hills attractions
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NigelandLiz
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I am so glad that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable with a great rooftop restaurant and bar. I'm so sorry that you found the location to not be a perfect match for your needs. We are quite centrally located but I do realize that in this city, often times a drive or a taxi ride are necessary to get you to where you need to be! Regardless, I do hope that you will keep us in mind for your future travels to LA. Feel free to reach out to me for assistance with reservations - I am happy to help!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

The room decor was modern without being weird, just clean simple design. I was on the second floor, and the sliding door opened onto a patio shared by the rooms on that side, with a chaise lounge and chair for each room, so you can sit in the sun and relax. It was very quiet at night on that side (the west side of the hotel).

The location is excellent, within easy walking distance of the County Museum of Art and many restaurants. It is also easy to get to the Beverly Center mall and up to Melrose Avenue, with its weird stores (sample names: Freak Chic, Detention Cafe, Tuff Sissy), or west to Beverly Hills.

The hotel has a rooftop pool restaurant and lounge. Be sure to go up at night and in the day time to check out the view. But one caution: I had breakfast at the restaurant (egg sandwich with cheese, tomato, etc.) and it was HUGE. The waitress told me that the portions on other breakfast dishes are also large, so bring your fullest appetite.

Another minor caution: the minibar./refrigerator in my room felt very hot. When I told a desk clerk about it I was told that they are normally like that.

Room Tip: As I mentioned above, rooms on west side have patio.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I agree that we've got a great, modern aesthetic, so I'm so happy you enjoyed it! We also are quite centrally located, so I'm glad you got to explore the best of what LA has to offer without much ado. And I agree that the view from our rooftop cannot be beat! I apologize that your minibar didn't seem to be cool enough during your stay. I have followed up with our Guest Services team to ensure we are super responsive when those types of things are brought to our attention.

Glad you had an enjoyable stay and we sincerely hope it won't be the last!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I felt like I was at my favorite hotel in Europe where the staff has known me for years and treats me like family. Came here for a girls weekend in LA, we reserved a 1 bedroom suite and it was perfect. We even had our own balcony, wish I had brought my dog with, she would have loved it here and YES they love having you bring your four footed pal with. In the lobby they even have a bicycle that is at your disposal to use and bike around LA. If you go out early on a weekend morning, the streets are deserted and it's a great way to enjoy the Beverly Hills, West Hollywood area.

The beds were comfortable, they had coffee and tea for us each morning. Their rooftop pool/restaurant/bar area was a blast. The food was great, the drinks even better and the staff AWESOME!! Big shout out to Eric who took great care of us and had us laughing.

Kimpton gets big props for the staff they have. Everyone is engaging and helpful. They would call a Taxi for us and ring our room when it had arrived. Valet would have our car waiting for us when we came down from the elevator, and they were very knowledgeable about the area and giving us ideas of places to see and eat.

Will definitely be back. Hotel Wilshire you may be new on the scene, but you are making up for lost years.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator for a quieter room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Traveler,

What a fabulous review! We strive to do exactly that - treat our guests like members of the family. I am so glad you appreciated the signature Kimpton touches such as our pet friendly environment, complimentary bike rentals, and our morning coffee and tea. Most importantly, we take great pride in the guest service we provide, so I'm so happy to hear you had a pleasant experience. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!