“Home far from home for longer stays”

Toluca Hills by Avalon
Chennai
“Home far from home for longer stays”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Good location and feel at home studio apartments with close by community houses. Community house has swimming pool, zaccuji, internet center and Gymnasium. All the buildings of this community are old but are constructed with a very good plan. Place is just opposite to Warner bros studios. I like this place and environment a lot.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank KumarTravel08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed here for 21 days - which would've been a pretty expensive proposition at a downtown LA hotel, so this apt with kitchen was a good alternative. Studios are on the small side, and bathrooms are small.

The property is located on the edge of Burbank and is a 15-20 minute drive on average to Hollywood on the 101 Freeway (allow at least 45 minutes to Santa Monica and the nearest beaches when traffic is good).

There are some decent places (locals bars, restaurants, supermarkets) not far away but none are really walkable - you really need to have a car.

Oakwood Corporate Apts are exactly that - corporate - so expect that atmosphere in any interactions with staff. There is a small convenience store on premises, and two clubhouses on the sprawling 55-acre property. The complex consists of many separate buildings - be aware of which unit you will be in. Parking is limited and sometimes nearest open space may not be next to your building.

In summary a pretty decent choice - more of a rental apartment than a hotel. Nice pool

Room Tip: Amenities differ between the different buildings significantly - ask questions and be sure to look a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Joe4stage
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed here for six weeks earlier this year, my room was fine at first but after a while, I found it so depressing that it has kind of tarnished my whole experience that I had while in Hollywood..

I don't drive, so I was pretty thrilled to find that there was a great bus service running outside the complex.

Down the road in Toluca (about 15 minute walk) is a place called Olive & Thyme... This is the best place I have been to for breakfast in my whole life, words can't describe how much I miss that place!

To be honest, i hated the Oakwood apartments; the staff were impossibly rude, there was an ant problem in my room, the rooms are tiny, the bathroom is dated with a bath too small to sit down in, and a shower to short to stand up in.

For $90 a night, this place is not cheap, yet the management still treat their guests like they are a continuing annoyance who don't seem able to go away.

We stayed here to save a little cash, but after the $50 return fare into Hollywood, which we had to do everyday, it would have been cheaper to stay at a 4* in the centre of Hollywood. Oakwood know this, so they charge you the full amount before you arrive, and make it very clear that they won't refund you a dime under any circumstances.

Great local restaurants, a fantastic racquet club, a brilliant supermarket (vons) & great travel links, however Oakwood have nothing to do with any of those

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank hjpkt

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Krakow
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Nice location, arge area, 2 swimming pools, open air jaccuzzi, tennis, fitness, car rental and many more. Apartments are clean with a fuly equipped kitchenette, 2 bedrooms apartments are very spacious, but a studio one may be too tiny. Close to the Universal Studios Hollywood and Warner Bross, so you can meet there a lot of young people practicing for auditions. Quite far to the beach part of LA (Venice, Santa Monica). Perfect location for longer stays or business trips. Would reccommend for younger travellers and families.

Room Tip: Appartments on the ground floor may be quite dark if overlooking the hilltop side.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Ewa W
Granger, Indiana
Reviewed April 23, 2012

After looking for months for a place to stay during pilot season we were referred to Oakwood by a Realtor. We needed room for my husband, myself, 3 kids and my parents so we leased the two bedroom fully furnished apartment. Even with that size group I was pleasantly surprised by our accommodations.

The rooms are large and there is a lot of storage, which is important when you have to move your life somewhere else for a few months. The mattresses weren't the best but we bought a mattress pad and it made it doable. The master had an attached full bathroom plus there was another full bedroom off the hallway. We had a problem with the shower temperatures fluctuating but after complaining the complex maintenance team took care of it within four days.

The kitchen surprisingly had more in it than I had anticipated. There was a full size refrigerator, electric oven, microwave, and dishwasher along with cooking and eating utensils. I had to buy some new knives because the ones in the block were beyond sharpening. I also bought an $8 beater from Target and a muffin pan. Overall, it'll only took a few things to get the kitchen usable.

We had a dining room set which sat 6 people comfortably. The living room had a couch, loveseat, coffee table, end table, and a desk. The couch was more comfortable than it looked. The TV reception is pretty terrible but I think that's more the provider's fault. The carpet throughout the apartment had obviously been cleaned before we moved in but as with all overused carpet the stains quickly reappeared. I'd probably recommend a different flooring material so it could stay clean. My favorite feature was the gas fireplace. We ended up using it a lot in the nights and the mornings to take the initial chill out of the apartment.

The grounds were well kept and we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. They adhere strictly to policies (for example, my father was not allowed to pick up a package for me) but then they have those policies in place for a reason so I'm not going to complain too much. The laundry facilities were nice and the machinery looked new. We only had to wait once to gain access to the machines. Each load (wash/dry) was approximately $3.50. We took advantage regularly of the business center and free printing on a high quality laser printer and also the convenience mart which has a lot packed into a small space!

This was a great place for kids. Rosie and team did a good job of providing opportunities related to the acting profession. Plus, there were other social events which allowed the kids to get together frequently. The gates around the premises, while in no means providing absolute security, do make you feel safer.

The location of these apartments couldn't be better. We were 15 minutes from Hollywood Blvd and less than 5 from the Warner Brothers Studios. Since it's so close to the 101 we were easily able to get where we needed to go. (Well, as easy as it gets in LA!!)

Yes, the price is steep but when you weigh it against other comparable places it is actually a good value. I will be staying here every time we return.

Room Tip: We had a third floor apartment which was great because the natural lighting was better due to the am...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank TravelingFool1974
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 8, 2012

this was a very convenient place to stay for Hollywood, and general LA access. Unfortunately their employees (especially front desk) are either too stupid to deal with their customers or are blindly applying some "corporate policy" to their guests with the end result being that the lodging customer receives rude and impersonal treatment. they neglected to explain the billing for my room, charged my credit card without authorization, etc.
the front desk people didn't explain the horrible parking scene, so that i walked a very long distance from where i parked my car to the apartment. they didn't tell me that you could get reserved parking, for an extra charge of course!
the apartment had several problems including insect infestation, damaged drywall, broken door molding and non functional security chain, unlockable first floor windows that would enable any prowler to enter the apartment.
this is on a beautiful hillside location and I agree with a recent review posted earlier that "this place should be torn down" and the property confiscated from this miserable corporate entity!

Room Tip: look at the room carefully before you rent if you wish to stay here
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank DoctorDubious
Florida
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Unfortunately I did not read the reviews prior to staying at this property. And I totally discount the reviews that were obviously written by management. This place should be torn down and they should start over. Just too many problems with the property to list them all here... but it's one redeeming quality is the location. But unfortunately that can't begin to make up for the multitude of problems. The worst in my opinion is the plumbing. You have 2 choices for a shower - ice cold or scalding hot. You may experience warm for about 5 seconds, but watch out... without warning you will get a serious scald or feel like a bucket of ice was dumped on you. I wish I was exaggarating but I'm not. And I was in 2 separate units, so you can't tell me it was a fluke. It was the same in both.

And if you don't read the fine print, you'll be stuck in building with minimal facilities - not to mention no dishwasher or washer/dryers in the studio. Several buildings have NO mail facilities, NO trash chutes, NO elevator (God forbid if you're on the 3rd floor of these buildings - pack extremely light is all I can say), and NO laundry room.

I've traveled all my life and rarely feel inconvenienced enough to write a review warning others. But I truly hope someone sits up and takes notice and finally fixes these issues. Or my original recommendaiton - demolition.

Room Tip: If you're company insists you stay here, stay away from buildings B, D, F, K, M, S, X. These ha...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Universal City Area
Nite Inn at Universal City
Nite Inn at Universal City
#130 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Toluca Hills by Avalon? Share your experiences!