“Nice hotel close to downtown”

Miyako Hotel Los Angeles
Ranked #49 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Highland, California
“Nice hotel close to downtown”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I was in Los Angeles to speak at a conference at the Miyako was the host hotel. It was close to the conference venue and reasonably priced, so I figured why not? I was pleasantly surprised.

When I arrived, I was impressed by the design of the lobby. Very light, clean and modern. I had a small mix up at check in that almost prevented me from staying at the hotel (despite having a reservation and pre-paid room), but the front desk clerk went to their manager who took care of everything.

The room is nicely decorated...nothing fancy, but it was clean and well kept. Some parts of the room showed age (thermostat, light fixtures, baseboards) but everything was ok. The bathroom was a decent size and all the bathrooms have heated toilet seats & bidets, which kind of surprised me given the price point, but it was nice. Unfortunately, the bathroom light burned out in the middle of the night (found that out the hard way when my boyfriend was taking a late night potty break). Bathroom was decent, but as I mentioned about the room, showed some age.

The best part about this place though is the karaoke bar on the second floor. Its called Ohjan and it is a real Japanese karaoke bar. We had so much fun! Locals and hotel guests were there and everyone encouraged each other to sing.

Honestly, I probably would never of stayed here had it not been for my conference. Not sure how soon I'll return but its nice to know of a reasonably priced, decent, comfortable, clean hotel near downtown.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank penceyprep

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We have stayed several times at the Miyako. The rooms are very quiet. The beds are comfortable. I love Little Tokyo. This is a great place to relax before taking in a concert, since the valet is open late. I recommend valet parking only. It is totally worth it, especially since it's hard to maneuver around otherwise. We love their little coffee shop downstairs. The front desk lobby personnel are very attentive, courteous, and polite. Security keeps the riffraff out. We like browsing the shops in the neighborhood and eating at the Korean BBQ place across the street. There is a temple nearby (totally cool!) where we made contact with a monk who truly didn't speak any English. It was a very decorative temple where you felt blessed. The Miyako is the only place I will stay in Los Angeles.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good that we've had.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ocean S
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed here while in Los Angeles for my nephew's graduation from USC. We enjoyed exploring Japan Town, including the Japanese American museum. The bed in our room was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Family members staying in other rooms agreed. Nice place at a reasonable rate for LA. Our air conditioning wasn't working the first day so the front desk sent up a repairman and he fixed it right away -- great service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Winnie H
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 2, 2014

The Miyako Los Angeles is not a luxury hotel by any stretch, but it's clean and comfortable. The rooms are fairly spacious for a near-downtown hotel, though not memorable in any way--they bring to mind more of a "Courtyard by Marriott" vibe than a "unique Japanese hotel" kind of feel (the only uniquely Japanese touch in my room being something I didn't care about, the Japanese "bidet" style heated and plumbed toilet seat, which isn't my thing). Considering that the hotel is in Little Tokyo and the clientele seems to be at least about 50% visitors from Japan, that seems kind of surprising (and different from other Miyako locations in California). The common areas are similarly unexciting, though there's nothing wrong with them--they're just kind of "meh."

There is a workout room, but it's tiny and ill-equipped--it can really handle only one person, or at most two people, at any given time. Free wi-fi is included in the rooms, but it was quite slow and essentially useless, at least in my room. The staff is friendly enough, but perhaps not as well-trained or accommodating as one might hope.

The location is fun--in the heart of Little Tokyo, with an enjoyable variety of Japanese shops and restaurants. If you like sushi, you'll find any number of great nearby dining options. If you don't like Japanese cuisine, you're pretty much out of luck, of course, but then again in that case you probably aren't even interested in staying in Little Tokyo in the first place.

The price was quite good for decent, clean accommodations in this part of L.A. So even if for no other reason, I'd certainly consider staying here again the next time I need to be in that area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank cyberluddite
Northern Portugal, Portugal
Reviewed May 28, 2014

this property is very nice- stayed in an "upgraded executive" room. i absolutely loved the location: we were able to park the car in the garage and just walk around little Tokyo. It was great to be able to relax like that in the city: drive around all day to do business, then be able to park for the evening and eat and walk. If you like Japanese culture, this is a great location for you. Also close to skid row (pretty sad), downtown, and arts district.

The only complaints I had were that the breakfast tickets we got were for the breakfast bar downstairs - i just wanted a cup of tea, so the woman had to take my entire ticket! I thought that was kind of weird that tea and coffee wouldn't be complimentary with the room. Other than that, the staff was really great, the hotel was quiet, and the rooms were super clean. We also had a pretty nice view - we were at the front of the hotel and were not disturbed by street noise, and had a view of city and mountains. Little Tokyo plaza had a couple of great places to eat breakfast as well - highly recommend Dulce!

They have spa facilities but didn't get to try them.. maybe next time! will definitely stay again: I thought the mid-week rate was a bargain for the level of quality.

Room Tip: get the upgraded room. we were at the street side of the hotel - no problem with noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank GenuineImitation
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My agent booked 2 nights at Miyako at end of month tour of USA. Asked to share with other females who have been on tour with me as we had done at beginning of tour and Miyako staff insisted in rooming us with total strangers. Asked if I could pay to upgrade to single room rate & told rooms were available but would have to pay whole new room rate & forfeit shared accommodation monies already paid. Asked for refund of second night as I will be taking my business elsewhere and was denied a refund.
The staff are impolite and unwilling to provide descent service. This is a terrible way to finish a holiday of USA.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank vanessa c
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is situated on only one block away from Metro Link- Gold line and one stop from Union station. I gave 9 out of 10 for cleanliness and tranquility. Even though this hotel is surrounded by restaurants and plaza, I hardly smelt the food coming out, or saw dirts on street, or noises from neighborhood. In fact, if you are Asian and long for Chinese or Vietnamese food, China town is only 2 stops from here.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends