“Great location wonderful staff”

Miyako Hotel Los Angeles
Ranked #46 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed May 25, 2014

From the moment I arrived at the Miyako I felt welcomed. My room was ready and check in was a breeze the bell staff had my bags all loaded and ready to go by the time I was done and I had to call him back after he loaded to give him a tip it is the first place I've been in the states that I've ever had that happen. The room was lovely and very much larger than anything I've had in LA before without paying suite prices. It came with a fridge which was great seeing we were across the road from the most amazing noodle place (I reviewed it too go look) that served huge portions. My husband and I had enough dinner left overs all three days to feed us at lunch time too, which was good cause it saved us having to go get back in line. The staff at the front desk will heat up your left overs with no worries which is great. When I called down to get stuff it was always delivered promptly.

Water pressure was great and the hot water plentiful not to mention the bathroom was huge, it's actually larger than my at home bathroom. If you've never used a japanese bidet you will probably enjoy getting to use the ones here, At the very least its nice to have a warm seat in the middle of the night.

Make sure you turn the fridge on when you put something in it my water didn't get cold cause its turned off when you check in. It'd be bad if you put food in there without noticing the fridge was off.

I would definitely stay here again, the only reason it doesn't get five stars is because some of the furnishings are a little tired but that's okay if they refurbished I probably wouldn't be able to afford to stay here anyhow.

Room Tip: Get a room looking out into the street that way you can pick times when the line at the noodle bar i...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Megan B
There are newer reviews for Miyako Hotel Los Angeles

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Upon recommendation of a friend, we chose this hotel for our one night stay in Los Angeles and were thoroughly satisfied. We were looking for a place fairly near Union Station and were able to walk to the Miyako Hotel with our bags...but it was a bit of a walk. (For our return to the station, we used the rail line that was not too long a walk from the hotel.) Everything about this place was clean and neat and we felt very safe in this area of Los Angeles. All staff members with whom we had contact were friendly and helpful. Since we arrived fairly early in the morning, they stored our bags during the day so we could explore until our room was ready. The light breakfast offered in the morning was very adequate as a continental breakfast. The laundry room was convenient and clean, so we were able to continue our journey with clean clothes.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ann S
Reviewed May 21, 2014

An average priced hotel in a convenient location downtown of Los Angeles. The charm of this hotel lies with their clean, neat, comfy, and cozy rooms. I really adore their spa and saunas. The masseuse and masseur are seasoned and friendly. The proximity to Japanese food is amazingly close. A great selection of sushi, ramen, home cooking, bentos, and shabu shabu in walking distance. Also during the summer season many of the nearby tea, bubble, and coffee shops has late hours till 1am. I always enjoy coming here when I have a convention to attend in the downtown area. And I always book their specials to get an upgrade for my room and free amenities, spa, or breakfast perks.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank NancyAndrew
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

You can have a pleasant room here for around $150 before taxes. There is valet parking for $20. The public spaces of the hotel are airy, modern and welcoming. There is a hotel shop and a coffee shop with a pretty good beverage selection.

Bedrooms are a reasonable size and bathrooms are relatively large. Bedrooms are well-equipped but the wallpaper and furnishings are fairly drab. The street side rooms tend to be larger than the rear rooms (some of which lack wardrobes).

Inexplicably, a large hall mirror on the fourth floor next to the elevators is distorted and makes all guests fern fatter.

The breakfast is nondescript and best avoided. Best to eat elsewhere. Decor in the second floor restaurant is equally tedious. They offer karaoke but it is inconsequential compared to the live open air performances fifty yards down the street in a courtyard surrounded by Japanese restaurants .

The hotel location is right in the heart of Little Tokyo, a short walk to the Geffen wing of MOCA and the Japanese-American Museum.

Overall, service is prompt and courteous. The valet parking worked unusually well. However, I was unable to print boarding passes on the lobby computer and no staff member could fix the problem.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank spencerusa
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I had 3 days to play in LA before a business conference and since I enjoy cultures of all types and my son is a bit of a Japanphobe, I decided to check out Little Tokyo in LA. On line research led me to believe that the best located, "nice" hotel was the Miyako. That research was correct.

The location is ideal for the main "block" of old Little Tokyo - directly accross the street. All the best Japanese restaurants were within VERY CLOSE walking distance. So was the Japanese-American museum which I recommend to see how these American citizens were mistreated in WWII. Next door is "Japanese Village Plaza", a typical "theme" shopping center with some twists. For example, Yamazaka Bakery has some of the best fresh breads you will ever eat. NOT rice breads - though they have those too, but great baguettes, and very fresh breads packages Japanese style (about a half a loaf of what USA breads are - which is great for freshness). There is also a nice grocery store (Nijiya Market) which is a pretty much full line Japanese market with great prepared food items ideal for buying and putting in the hotel fridge for midnight snacks and all sorts on items you've never seen (or hardly ever) outside of Japan.

The hotel room? Terrific bed. A little firm for my taste, but heck - I slept well. (musta been the saki). The toilet SEAT integrates the seat heating / bidet / back side washing features that Japanese toilets are famous for. A little frilly for a macho guy like me, but I must confess, I liked it.
The furnishing were not old and worn out as some of the earlier reviews seem to indicate. Perhaps it was because I was in an upgraded "deluxe" room. Since my room faced 1st Street, I enjoyed a great "people watching" perch on the main street of Little Tokyo. Good refrigerator and very nice coffee and tea service. Wish there was a microwave, but nobody's perfect. I need to mention that I did indulge in a Deep Muscle massage at the spa and spent some time in the jacuzzi and steam room. Aviva gives a terrific massage and the jacuzzi is nicely warm. It took me a while to figure out that if I wanted "steam" in the "steam room", there were buttons to push but once I figured that out, it was hot, wet, and very cleansing. I give the spa 4 out of 5 because all they offer are three types of massages, but no other services like grooming, facials, pedicures, etc.

In closing, this hotel is within moderate walking distance to Downtown LA's intersting shopping "districts". The have one for everything. (toy district, wedding district, warehouse districut, etc.). Also, it's about a block and a quarter to the Little Tokyo metro station which can get you to Chinatown, UCLA, and East LA's excellent Mexican food quickly.

Had a great time. Let me know how your trip goes!

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms face the street which can be noisy. A nice view and fine for me, but not so much fo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank JerryPPhoenix
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have been a Los Angeles native all my life and my home church used to be in Little Tokyo and I have ALWAYS wanted to stay in the Miyako. I put a small together "off site" business trip together and stayed at the Miyako for one night... here is the review.

Hotel: Not the most reasonable deal in town, but the rooms we had were adequate. The non smoking room we had did not have a hint of smoke...just the way I like it! Got the online rate which was cheaper than anything I found in the area. The lobby really feels like you're in Japan with many Japanese nationals as guests. Many of the staff speak Japanese if this is needed for your stay. The workers were not over the top impressive....just adequate. Our room as ample, bedding, towels were clean and crisp. The bathroom had the traditional Toto Japanese style bidet. This is not the Ritz but about par with a Hilton, Doubletree, etc. The hallways were smartly decorated with vintage photos of J-Town and downtown LA. Really like that.

Downside: Our AC did not work. Was hot and musty as a result. I discovered that about 11pm when I got in the room so I did not call down. Next AM I told the front desk and they gave me 20% off my bill. The other downside, on the 6th floor, we faced south...only had parking lot view. I suggest getting a north room for a beautiful view of 1st street. Very historic!

I tried to use the VERY small exercise room but the two machines were taken...really too small so I just ran. Loved the route to Bunker Hill west from the hotel.

The HUGE UPSIDE to this hotel is location. Five minute walk the the Gold Line which will give you great access to the Metro. LOTS of great places to ear in the area. I cannot say enough about how much there is to see and do in Little Tokyo area.

I want figure out how to stay there again...

Room Tip: North side anywhere.... OR above the 10th floor on either side. But again, I'd try and get a no...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank TahmiJoh
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed here, mainly due to the proximity to the train station. Boutique spa hotel , room was large as well as the bathroom with heated toilet seat, Japanese style. Check in was proffessional, workers dressed in uniform. I must say the bedding and pillows were the best. Did have a great sleep. Our room was facing to Little Tokyo mall..We did have a delicious dinner here with reasonable price. Do recommend for those taking the train..

Room Tip: higher floors-better view-less noise
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple