“Good Value in Little Tokyo”

Miyako Hotel Los Angeles
Ranked #57 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
usa
“Good Value in Little Tokyo”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

You can have a pleasant room here for around $150 before taxes. There is valet parking for $20. The public spaces of the hotel are airy, modern and welcoming. There is a hotel shop and a coffee shop with a pretty good beverage selection.

Bedrooms are a reasonable size and bathrooms are relatively large. Bedrooms are well-equipped but the wallpaper and furnishings are fairly drab. The street side rooms tend to be larger than the rear rooms (some of which lack wardrobes).

Inexplicably, a large hall mirror on the fourth floor next to the elevators is distorted and makes all guests fern fatter.

The breakfast is nondescript and best avoided. Best to eat elsewhere. Decor in the second floor restaurant is equally tedious. They offer karaoke but it is inconsequential compared to the live open air performances fifty yards down the street in a courtyard surrounded by Japanese restaurants .

The hotel location is right in the heart of Little Tokyo, a short walk to the Geffen wing of MOCA and the Japanese-American Museum.

Overall, service is prompt and courteous. The valet parking worked unusually well. However, I was unable to print boarding passes on the lobby computer and no staff member could fix the problem.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank spencerusa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I had 3 days to play in LA before a business conference and since I enjoy cultures of all types and my son is a bit of a Japanphobe, I decided to check out Little Tokyo in LA. On line research led me to believe that the best located, "nice" hotel was the Miyako. That research was correct.

The location is ideal for the main "block" of old Little Tokyo - directly accross the street. All the best Japanese restaurants were within VERY CLOSE walking distance. So was the Japanese-American museum which I recommend to see how these American citizens were mistreated in WWII. Next door is "Japanese Village Plaza", a typical "theme" shopping center with some twists. For example, Yamazaka Bakery has some of the best fresh breads you will ever eat. NOT rice breads - though they have those too, but great baguettes, and very fresh breads packages Japanese style (about a half a loaf of what USA breads are - which is great for freshness). There is also a nice grocery store (Nijiya Market) which is a pretty much full line Japanese market with great prepared food items ideal for buying and putting in the hotel fridge for midnight snacks and all sorts on items you've never seen (or hardly ever) outside of Japan.

The hotel room? Terrific bed. A little firm for my taste, but heck - I slept well. (musta been the saki). The toilet SEAT integrates the seat heating / bidet / back side washing features that Japanese toilets are famous for. A little frilly for a macho guy like me, but I must confess, I liked it.
The furnishing were not old and worn out as some of the earlier reviews seem to indicate. Perhaps it was because I was in an upgraded "deluxe" room. Since my room faced 1st Street, I enjoyed a great "people watching" perch on the main street of Little Tokyo. Good refrigerator and very nice coffee and tea service. Wish there was a microwave, but nobody's perfect. I need to mention that I did indulge in a Deep Muscle massage at the spa and spent some time in the jacuzzi and steam room. Aviva gives a terrific massage and the jacuzzi is nicely warm. It took me a while to figure out that if I wanted "steam" in the "steam room", there were buttons to push but once I figured that out, it was hot, wet, and very cleansing. I give the spa 4 out of 5 because all they offer are three types of massages, but no other services like grooming, facials, pedicures, etc.

In closing, this hotel is within moderate walking distance to Downtown LA's intersting shopping "districts". The have one for everything. (toy district, wedding district, warehouse districut, etc.). Also, it's about a block and a quarter to the Little Tokyo metro station which can get you to Chinatown, UCLA, and East LA's excellent Mexican food quickly.

Had a great time. Let me know how your trip goes!

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms face the street which can be noisy. A nice view and fine for me, but not so much fo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank JerryPPhoenix
Long Beach, California, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have been a Los Angeles native all my life and my home church used to be in Little Tokyo and I have ALWAYS wanted to stay in the Miyako. I put a small together "off site" business trip together and stayed at the Miyako for one night... here is the review.

Hotel: Not the most reasonable deal in town, but the rooms we had were adequate. The non smoking room we had did not have a hint of smoke...just the way I like it! Got the online rate which was cheaper than anything I found in the area. The lobby really feels like you're in Japan with many Japanese nationals as guests. Many of the staff speak Japanese if this is needed for your stay. The workers were not over the top impressive....just adequate. Our room as ample, bedding, towels were clean and crisp. The bathroom had the traditional Toto Japanese style bidet. This is not the Ritz but about par with a Hilton, Doubletree, etc. The hallways were smartly decorated with vintage photos of J-Town and downtown LA. Really like that.

Downside: Our AC did not work. Was hot and musty as a result. I discovered that about 11pm when I got in the room so I did not call down. Next AM I told the front desk and they gave me 20% off my bill. The other downside, on the 6th floor, we faced south...only had parking lot view. I suggest getting a north room for a beautiful view of 1st street. Very historic!

I tried to use the VERY small exercise room but the two machines were taken...really too small so I just ran. Loved the route to Bunker Hill west from the hotel.

The HUGE UPSIDE to this hotel is location. Five minute walk the the Gold Line which will give you great access to the Metro. LOTS of great places to ear in the area. I cannot say enough about how much there is to see and do in Little Tokyo area.

I want figure out how to stay there again...

Room Tip: North side anywhere.... OR above the 10th floor on either side. But again, I'd try and get a no...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank TahmiJoh
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed here, mainly due to the proximity to the train station. Boutique spa hotel , room was large as well as the bathroom with heated toilet seat, Japanese style. Check in was proffessional, workers dressed in uniform. I must say the bedding and pillows were the best. Did have a great sleep. Our room was facing to Little Tokyo mall..We did have a delicious dinner here with reasonable price. Do recommend for those taking the train..

Room Tip: higher floors-better view-less noise
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tasilo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Recently had a one night stop over at this hotel. Excellent little hotel, nice big rooms, comfy bed and quality sleep. The hotel is modern and fully furnished. We even had a heated toilet seat in our room. Every little helps. Super little hotel at a reasonable rate. Pity it had to be in LA.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WickReviewer
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We were a LA for a short touristic stay, so wanted to be close to the historic city area and city center, and hotel Miyako was perfect for our needs! The hotel has clean, well maintained rooms - it was a delight to find that the bathrooms were actually equipped with the quintessential japanese toilet seats! The staff was courteous and helpful. There is Starbucks, a subway and a host of other restaurants and pubs closeby which can cater to all tastes! There are bus stops and a metro station too nearby the hotel. If you are okay to walk a little, you can actually walk down to the old city and spanish areas. Even the Walt Disney amphitheater and a few good museums are not too far. Overall a perfect hotel for a short touristic stay!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MeghaJain
Gold Canyon, Arizona
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I spent my birthday weekend in LA and picked the Miyako for location. It met or exceeded all my expectations. I was traveling alone and wanted to be in an area of Los Angeles where I would be safe and comfortable. I also love Japanese food and wanted to treat myself to some of the best Japanese food LA has to offer. Additionally, I was seeing musicals at both Pantages and The Ahmanson and I needed to be close to public transportation to get to both.

Miyako was the perfect hotel for me. It was within walking distance or a short cab ride to The Ahmanson. A few blocks away was the Metro which I took to Pantages. Japanese food was everywhere as the Miyako is in Little Tokyo.

My room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I even got to witness the LA Marathon outside of my window on my birthday morning. Nice treat.

The Miyako is in a safe, quiet area of Los Angeles. I was able to walk around Little Tokyo at night and people watch and enjoy outdoor activities in the center of it all.

A review of the Miyako would not be complete without mentioning the excellent service from the staff. I felt like I was among friends. They were friendly, welcoming and accommodating. I look forward to a return visit to this charming hotel.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a room overlooking the street. I liked being able to see what was going on at night and d...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo