“Nice and affordable in Dowtown LA”

Miyako Hotel Los Angeles
Ranked #50 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Hotels in downtown LA can be pricy, and often not worth it. But you also need to worry about staying a low-rent hotel as well. After all, this is Downtown LA! I found the Miyako to be a nice surprise. Great location in LIttle Tokyo, just a coupe of blocks from a MetroLine station. Check in was easy, and I was really pleased with the room. It had just been redone, and was large and well-equipped. No complaints and a perfectly fine option for a business-oriented hotel at an affordable price in Downtown LA. I will stay here again!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank SperanzaA

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I went to LA to visit sister and I stayed here. I couldnt have asked for a better way to be immersed in the local asian culture. Ive stayed at 4 and 5 star hotels before and been in luxurious suites but I liked the feel of this place better. Of course the amenities arent as nice but the feel was great. There were Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Indian restaurants right next to the hotel. There was also a museum a block away and some of the best clothing and shoe stores that ive found. It wasnt far from the other cities and the airport. I loved the urban feel of the place. I will be staying there again when i go back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Dangerfield24
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Picked this hotel since it is easy to reach from Union Station. One stop on the Gold line.
Bus #30 runs frequently 24hrs,a day with connections to all other area transit. Little Tokyo has variety of restaurants and shops for immediate needs. The hotel has a reasonably priced cafe for coffee and bagels. We paid extra for an "Executive Tokyo King" with total of $149 inc tax. Was disappointed to have paid extra. The room needed a makeover, but was OK for one night. The window opened for fresh air, but annoying noise from a/c equipment outside kept it closed. Also there was noise from equipment in the room walls. Would stay here again if price right, but would opt for lower price King.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SanDiegobased
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was going to a concert at Disney Hall but didn't want to spend a lot for a hotel since I was staying two nights. The Miyako is about 8 blocks from Disney Hall (yes, there's a hill, but it won't kill you) and I got a rate of $138/night. Got out of the concert at 9:30 pm on a Sunday night and felt perfectly safe walking back to the hotel. There's a spa at the hotel and my friend got a shiatsu massage, said it was great, Our room was on the 8th floor, close to the elevator but we never got elevator noise. The room was clean and bright, nice linens and bath products, view of First Street and as far as you could see for the smog. The Japanese Village Plaza is right next door to the hotel and a ton of fun, on the weekend there was outdoor karaoke and a one-man band and great food and shopping (if you like Hello Kitty and Totoro, which I do). I mean, tell me the neighborhood around the Omni Hotel is half as fun!

Room Tip: I booked with the Miyako Hotel online, and was upgraded to Tokyo Executive for the same price as Sta...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank edwardsmom24
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hotel has a good location. it is between 'civic centre' metro station and 'little tokyo' metro station. There are a lot of japanese food restaurant opposite the hotel and just beside the hotel. it has clean room and friendly staff. The price is a little bit expensive tho. :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were attending a Japanese funeral at the Fukui Mortuary and my parents wanted to be downtown. I checked the Doubletree (former New Otani), Bonaventure and both DT Marriotts. Three hotels were sold out and the Doubletree was $375 a night on Travelocity. Ouch, when you aren't traveling on expense account!

Then my mother had a brainstorm and asked me to check the Miyako hotel. I was very, very happy. It was $200 with $18 for valet parking. (Next door there is a city multilevel lot which is cheaper but obviously not as convenient.) The rooms are reasonable size and the bathrooms very large. The rate included a daily continental breakfast of juice, coffee, 2 croissants and a small yogurt.

The very best thing was the location - there was great food all around. Daikokuya (amazing ramen, see review) right across the street, Monzo (handmade udon) across the street and a few hundred yards away was the entrance to Japan Village Plaza where was there are lots of fast food places. I would have loved to had time to check out the Shabu shabu place that always had a wait.

The bathroom needed a little work (wall paper pulling away from wall) and the airconditioning system was older (but worked). The bed linens and towels were great quality, which is important to me! The front desk staff and valet were helpful and friendly (except for one named Yuka).

A great value for Downtown LA. Not a luxury property but practical, clean, well priced with good service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Sharon D
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We needed to be near the train station in Los Angeles and were looking for a nice hotel that wouldn't break the bank. This hotel was clean and we got good service. The price was less than most in the area. I grew up near this area so I am familiar with it. It's not pretty but during the day it's fine to walk around and easy access to downtown LA. I've stayed at the Biltmore and paid more and had a run down room there, whereas this hotel was new. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I asked for a top floor, quiet room, and that seems to be what I got
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family