“Be careful!!!”

Ranked #179 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Diego, California
“Be careful!!!”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Price is good and room was clean but the neighborhood is NOT a place to feel very safe with a family especially after dark. I was with my wife and 16 year old daughter for a 2-day competition she was in at the the convention center. We were woken at 2 am on Sunday morning by the sound of a man ranting and trying to kick down a door and therating to kill the occupant of that room. Needless to say that we were very scared. I called the front desk ( it took 2X for the desk to pickup). The man at the desk said he went outside - as he must have heard it as well - but didnt see anyone. I asked him to call the police. He was reluctant but said he would. I waited a few minutes but decided to call 911 myself. I reported it they took my information and the said they would dispatch someone to come. We didn't see or hear anyone come so I really don't know if they responded or not. In any event, the man came back several times threating the occupant AFTER I had called the police. I stayed up ( as did my daughter and wife ) with the light off not knowing whether or not this man would try to enter other rooms. The rooms have floor to celing windows adjacent to the door -- so he wouldn't need to break through the door - just break the window and walk in. Obviously, I cant say that this is a common occurence but once was enough for me and I would not want anyone to share our awful experience - so be careful!

Room Tip: not possible
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Al S
laconventioninn, Owner at Rodeway Inn Convention Center, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Hello,
I would like to apologize for any and all inconvenience you had to face while staying at the Rodeway Inn Los Angeles Convention Center. As you mentioned, this kind of an incident is very rare and we take such incidents very seriously. We pride ourselves on providing a high level of customer service and the safety of our guest is of the utmost importance to us. I am disappointed that you were not pleased with the response of the front desk clerk on duty at the time. I will personally look into the incident and make sure the appropriate actions are taken to rectify the situation.

Once again I would like to apologize for any inconvenience faced by you and your family. I do hope you give The Rodeway Inn Los Angeles Convention Center another try.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2012

The Rodeway Inn Convention Center is an older building around a mile from LA Live, the LA Convention Center, and the Staples Center. It was easy to walk downtown in the daytime and bus tours for tourism stopped in the hotel. Fast food restaurants were close by for convenience with nicer sit down restaurants closer to the downtown core.

Despite its older outwards appearance, our rooms were very clean and recently renovated with new furniture and beds. I stayed in a king bedroom which had a full desk available to work on. Wifi was free, although not the fastest. Staff was excellent and helped print out boarding passes or tickets to events when I needed them. The outdoor pool looked nice and clean, although the weather did not cooperate for our visit so I did not use it. Lastly, complimentary continental breakfasts were an unexpected touch, although the food really was limited. Still, the fresh oranges, bananas, cereal, and bagels got me by until lunchtime elsewhere.

At 1/2 to 1/3 the price of hotels only a mile away, I would recommend the Rodeway Inn and would stay there again in the future. You can't beat its value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank Steve W
Arizona City, Arizona
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this Rodeway inn convention center. I was staying here last year.They have done wonderful renovated the interior room and furniture.I highly recommend this hotel if you have to stay this area.It is very reasonably priced and convenient to many places.They were helpful when I needed to know about attraction places on the phone before arriving.rooms were very clean,wifi was free and facility was safe and secure.I will stay here again in the future when I have business in the area.Also,I will definitely recommend my friends and family.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank Zohurul H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Without a doubt, this is the best hotel in downtown Los Angeles. I stay at the Rodeway Inn Convention Center for pleasure, and have tried other hotels in the area, but none of them can compare to the Rodeway Inn Convention Center.Staff and Management,extremely helpful.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room is wonderful view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Jimmy C
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I stayed here for 3 days in late November. It was a no-frills room, but all of the staff I met were very nice. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. They have a soda and snack machine. I felt very safe at night and I am a woman in my mid-thirties and traveled alone. My only complaint is the shower water never got hot enough for my liking.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank SunMoonStarzz
Singapore
Reviewed December 18, 2011

This place is economical and well located. I could have a little larger pool and a wider breakfast spread but then it is targeted as a budget place. Staff is helpful and front desk team is great which softens any sharp edge you may find in its range of facilities.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank I_too_enjoy_travel
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I recently stayed at this property for a week, and I had a very good experience there. The desk clerk and management is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The overall guest room cleanliness was above expectations, and the hotel amenitities were all in great order. It is conveniently located to many downtown locations, the convention center, and the local metro bus line. I am a diamond reward member with Choice Hotels, and I will also let them know to give the hotel management an "a+". Keep up the good work. Thanks. JPaul

Room Tip: All the rooms have wooden vertical blinds which allow a nice amount of sunlight into the room during...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business