WINNER WONDERLAND

Elan Hotel
Ranked #5 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Australia
“Wouldn't stay anywhere else in LA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Elan Hotel is the only place I would stay in LA, and this was my fourth stay. I find the location very convenient, the hotel to be clean and the staff to be very professional and friendly. I enjoy the included morning breakfast. A common note of complaint in a lot of LA hotel reviews is the parking cost, but most hotels in LA will charge for parking. The Elan valet park all cars and they're quick to bring the car out when you request it. I always ask for a quiet room, and this visit was the only time I had a problem with noise. It was a minor issue: the person in the room next to me decided to watch television until 1am and their television was obviously mounted on the wall my bed was against. It was okay with ear plugs, but a bit annoying. While there is a local restaurant that delivers to Elan, the Beverly Center (small food court with great salads on level 8) is a five minute walk away and there is a Japanese restaurant, a diner and a Taco Bell very close by. I sometimes walk to The Grove, and that's a 25 minute walk.

Room Tip: I've stayed in a number of different rooms, and I've found that when I request a quiet room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank atacoatemybaby
Joel M, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to read that the Élan Hotel is the only hotel that you would stay at in Los Angeles! I appreciate your mention of our location as it is a very central one. Thanks for mentioning our Valet Parking. Since the Élan Hotel is a small boutique hotel, it is quick and convenient. I am sorry that you experienced a noise problem during your stay with us. I’m glad that you tried the food court at the Beverly Center! There is a good selection of restaurants at the food court and so many other good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Joel Majors

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Hebrew first
milano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I work in the travel business and this is a great little place...yes the rooms are not huge but they have everything and are clean!
They even do turn down service. All staff was great and willing to help.
Breakfast was perfect for me..great crossaints like in France..the only thing I would change is the blend of coffee but thats personal taste. I would highly reccomend it..location is great..

Room Tip: had room towards the back very very quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joel M, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

The title of your review is great, great, great! We appreciate your comments. Thanks for mentioning the turn-down service and the staff. I am glad that you liked our expanded continental breakfast. I appreciate the comparison of our croissants to those in France. Our blend of coffee is a Wolfgang Puck Signature blend. Thanks for recommending the Élan Hotel!

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Elan for a few days in January 2013. The location is great. You are basically 15 minutes from all the attractions (at least the ones we wanted to see)...Graumans, Walk of Fame, The Grove/Farmers Market, Rodeo Drive, Griffith Observatory, LaBrea Tar Pits, Sunset Strip, and Beverly Hills. Free breakfast was awesome (since we paid so much for our other meals...this was great!). They even have a wine, cheese and sausage for free from 5 to 7. The staff was very attentive and helpful. As discussed in some of the other review, yes, the rooms are kind of small as is the bathroom but we weren't in our room much so this wasn't a problem for us. You do have to valet and that's an extra $24/night but I'd still stay here again if I wanted to do the attractions referenced above.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are happy to read that our location was one that suited your needs. As you mentioned we are central to so much of what Los Angeles has to offer. I am happy that you felt that our continental breakfast was awesome and thanks for mentioning the attentive and helpful staff! They pride themselves on delivering an overall guest experience that should exceed one’s expectations! One of the nice things about our Valet service is that it is convenient and quick. I just wanted to mention that our Valet parking costs is very competitive with other hotels in our area. Thanks for your review of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

West Richland, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights for a medical conference, 1/2013 & really wasn't familiar with the area. Had exceptional customer service. Originally put in a room on Beverly Blvd. street side which was very noisy. Requested a more quiet room which was easily accomplished with their great staff.
The room had everything I needed, bed was hard but otherwise everything was great. The breakfast was on the small size but seemed to have alot of variety for a continuental type. The wine reception nightly had Merlot & Chardonnay, along with various cheese & crackers & dried fruit. If you didn't go with the wine there was lemon water & lemonade-good touch.
Staff helped with sight seeing suggestions & was eager to answer any questions to facilitate this.
Would definitely stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Don't select a room on Beverly Blvd. side of Hotel, too noisy with road traffic.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Barb C
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed at the Elan for 3 nights on the recommendation of 2 separate Australian friends. I was very impressed with the hotel and the very helpful and pleasant staff. The room was compact but big enough and the bathroom was good. It was quiet, very clean, beds and pillows were comfortable and sheets/towells of good quality.The reception and lounge area was nicely decorated and pleasant to sit in for the complimentary continental breakfast and afternoon wine and cheese. The breakfast was very good and the vegemite a thoughtful and much appreciated addition. The location was great-close to LAX and across the road from shopping at the Beverley Centre and walking distance to The Farmers Market and The Grove Shopping Centre plus some good restaurants on 3rd street. Nice and safe area to walk around in the day or night.
Only tip I offer the Hotel is that the Yellow Tail Australian chardonay is not a great wine (in my opinion)-I would have much preferred to try some California wines.

Room Tip: I did not see any other rooms but was happy with my room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joel M, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We like reading the title of your review as we are a 49-Room Boutique hotel in a location that cannot be beat. We are central to shopping, dining, sightseeing, and nightlife. I appreciate your mention of the amenities and the comments about your room. Many of our guests are surprised when they see Vegemite on our breakfast spread as they are not expecting to see it. I’m glad that it helped to make you feel more at home here. Thanks for mentioning the wine reception. We do offer a variety of wines from around the world each week. Many of our guests do like the Yellowtail Chardonnay however I will consider adding some Napa Valley wines to the reception. I appreciate your comments and hope to see you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed in Sept 2012 for 4 nights. Bed was really hard and uncomfortable and included breakfast was not much to rave about, but could not fault the exceptional customer service we received. This hotel is smaller than most and therefore the feel is much more familiar and welcoming.Bathroom wasvery clean (a little smaller than I would like) but overall we enjoyed our stay. Location - hop on hop off bus a 2 min walk from the hotel, large shopping centre vertually across the road, a fantatic local Japanese restuarant less than a min walk, chemist, supermarket, and some budget shops less than 5 min walk. It was a good stay as our last leg of a 6 week holiday, but no restaurant at site and far from all the major LA attractions (this might be a good thing or bad thing depending on what your looking for). Quiet location suited us perfectly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joel M, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We receive many compliments about our beds and do offer a pillow-top mattress for those guests who prefer a less firm mattress. Our expanded continental breakfast is very well like by most all of our guests as we offer coffee, tea, orange juice, grapefruit juice, yogurt, cereal, fresh fruit, pastries, breads, and cereal bars. This is much more than a continental breakfast and it is complementary to our guests. You are right; we are a 49-Room Boutique Hotel so we can offer the more personalized customer service such as you experienced during your stay with us. Thanks for mentioning the Housekeeping Staff. They will appreciate reading your comments. Our location is central to so much of what Los Angeles has to offer as we are just minutes for shopping, dining, sightseeing, and nightlife. We appreciate your review and look forward to welcome you back in the future.

singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

The good experience began even before we checked in. I had emailed in advance to check if they were able to accept some parcels if we ordered something before we arrived and they responded within 5 minutes and were very accommodating.We didn't get anything delivered in advance in the end but it was a nice gesture.

At check in, we had lots of baggage and the valet/porter was nice enough to yank everything up a flight of stairs very quickly and sent it up to our room shortly after. Considering he had to park the car in the garage as well! (we had the parking package, which is recommended if you are driving as there isn't any nearby parking except meter on the street).

The room itself was not very large but comfortable. We had a balcony room on the 2nd floor and we could overlook the nice homes in the hills of hollywood from our bed which was nice.

I must say that the washroom was quite chilly (don't think it had any heater in there) but thats about the only flaw of our experience.

The breakfast was great. The croissants were very flaky and to die for. I loved the nut muffins, so much so that we had the same combos all 3 days! They also had nice "boxed to go" cereals with a wide variety of different flavours. Coffee was by Wolfgang Puck but somehow, the brew is always stronger (almost sour) in one pot than the other (but not labelled). So it was a bit touch and go.

The cheese and wine evenings from 5-7pm every night was great. Those who do not drink, there was nice lemonade and water. The cheese and crackers served was good as well. The seating area was also comfortable with some computer terminals with printer available for use.

The location was great, 5 minutes walk to Beverly Center and even less to the nearby Beverly connection with the pharmacy, marshalls, nordstrom rack and old navy. We could drive to most places within 10 minutes (not including famous LA traffic!). It was about 40 minutes to the airport. A tip we received from the hotel, to stay off the freeway and to take the roads (La Cienaga) all the way and we were fine!

Recommended!