“Not bad for a boutique hotel”
Review of Elan Hotel

Elan Hotel
Ranked #6 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 19, 2011

This hotel was pretty good for what it was. My husband and I found the hotel on Expedia and booked two nights over the weekend at about $210 a night. We thought the price was pretty good for the location of the hotel, and for a Friday and Saturday night. It's in a decent neighborhood within walking distance to the Beverly Center and other restaurants. There is no self-parking which is not uncommon for a small boutique hotel, so you can either park in a metered spot or valet. Valet was about $26 a day after taxes, and we thought it was worth it. The valet staff was always on top of it. We got our car in and out of valet several times and each time we would just call ahead of time to have our car ready and our car was always right outside within 15 min. Our room at the hotel was not bad. It was on the first floor and opened into a small courtyard facing other rooms. That said, it was not very private if you opened the curtains so we kept the curtains closed most of the time which made the room dark. And the fact that all the lights in the room were fluorescent lighting didn't help, but overall, that didn't bother us. The room was really tiny and the bathroom was pretty small too with virtually no counter space so I had to put all of our toiletries and my makeup on the desk outside of the bathroom. But again, this is not uncommon for a small boutique hotel and it wasn't that big of a deal to us. The light in our bathroom made an annoying buzzing sound and the bed was a little firm and stiff for my tastes though my husband thought the bed was comfortable. The walls were not sound proof as we could hear noises all around us including doors shutting and people talking constantly. When we first checked in, we smelled pot in the hallway and the smell seeped into our room because there isn't a great seal around the door which I'm sure is also what contributed to how easily we could hear outside noises. I called the front desk about the pot smell and they took care of it right away. Overall though, the room was clean and updated pretty well for, what I could tell was, a really old building. It was also nice that they provided complimentary wifi even though it was kind of slow, breakfast in the mornings, and wine and cheese receptions in the evenings. The staff was also really friendly and courteous. All in all, the hotel and the location were pretty good for the money.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
jmajorselan, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Dear Guest,

I am happy to read that you found the Élan Hotel through Expedia.com for your weekend stay with us. I am glad that you liked our location and that it was convenient for shopping and dining. Thanks for your accolades regarding our Valet Parking. The staff will appreciate your comments. Next time you stay with us you might consider reserving a larger room such as our Jr. Suite. The bathrooms have a larger counter space and a sitting area off of the bedroom. I'm sorry about the buzzing noise in the bathroom. Usually this happens when the light bulbs are about to go out. We do have a preventive maintenance program to help spot problems such as these. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
We are a smoke free environment and we appreciate that you brought to our attention that someone was smoking. Thankfully this matter was handled right away and there was no further incident. I appreciate your review and I take all of our guest comments very seriously. This is the only way that we can improve upon our service to all our future guests. Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you in the near future.

Joel Majors

Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed there three nights. The location is great, near shopping malls and easy access to freeways and sightseeing places. It is a friendly hotel with good breakfast and nice comfortable rooms. The staff is very helpful and not only give you tips but also look for addresses and even call places if it is necessary. They are really great. The only cons:
no swimming pool (it was really hot) and parking is U$ 24 with valet. Overall it was a great stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Élan Hotel. I am happy that you found our location to be central to your needs. I appreciate the mention about the staff. They are eager to please and enjoy helping our guests become more familiar with the Los Angeles area. We offer some really fantastic tours of the city that can be booked at our Front Desk Reception. They are a great way to explore the city. We appreciate your business and hope to see you in the near future. Thanks for your review.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

At first i was disappointed when i first arrived at the hotel. For sone reason i was expecting a massive hotel but it was right the opposite. I didn't know what to expect but just after we checked in and went to our room i started enjoying the little cozy place.

Pros:
- Amazing service - really friendly and helpful staff.
- Valet parking included if you go for the room and parking package ( i highly recommend to go for that if u have a car as there is no parking around).
- quite a few good restaurants in the area (walking distance).
- 10 min drive to Hollywood Blvd.
- 2 min walk to Macy's. In front of Macy's is the bus stop for the Tour Bus Company (if you have tickets you can use them to get anywhere in LA).
- about 1 hr easy drive to Santa Monica (thru town) and even less if you take the highway.
- Complimentary Wine and cheese every evening for 2 hrs - in the lobby.

Cons: I can't think of any.

We enjoyed our stay at ELAN.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
jmajorselan, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Dear Guests,

I am glad that you both enjoyed your stay with us in LA. It seems that you were able to get around the city very well. For those guests who like to venture out on their own to take in the sights our Parking Package is a good recommendation. We appreciate your review and your stay with us. Thank you so much!

Reviewed September 11, 2011

Thank you for General Manager Joel Majors and his very helpful staff! We are two ladies( Sweden and Finland) and we travel a lot. Hotel Elan is one of the best hotels, in big cities, we have visited. We try to find good middle price hotels and Elan hotel was best choice of all.
Spirit of hotel is unique elegant and sophisticated. Small is beautiful!!
We spent in Elan hotel 4 nights.
Our room was beauty, absolutely clean. Service in front desk was excellent.
Breakfast was good and as surprise from 5-7 pm there was also wine+cheese+fruit buffee.
Because we didn't have car location was also great to us: we could walk in many places, shopping center was behind corner as also bus stop to sightseeing bus.
We had feeling that everybody in Elan Hotel really cares us.
WE WARMLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
jmajorselan, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for selecting the Élan Hotel as your destination place to stay in Los Angeles. As you mentioned we are a small boutique hotel that offers a wide variety of amenities for a very fair price. I am happy that you enjoyed the continental breakfast and the wine and cheese reception. It sounds like you had a very memorable experience with us.
We at the Élan Hotel agree that there are many ways to see Los Angeles even without a car. There are some fantastic city tours available as well good public transportation if you want to venture out on your own.
I will be sure to forward your review to all of the staff members to read as they will appreciate your nice comments. As you mentioned we do care about all of our guests from the minute that they walk through our doors. Our company motto is "Experience Exceptional Service" and this is our #1 priority for everyone. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Los Angeles. Thanks for your review and we appreciate your business.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed here last Fall for a weekend trip to LA. The staff is very attentive and personable. The location is great for sight seeing in LA. The breakfast buffet had good variety and the food was always fresh.

The room is clean but I was not exactly wowed with the quality given the prior good reviews on Trip Advisor. It seemed to be on the same quality level as a Holiday Inn.

The only down side to the hotel was that our room faced a busy street. Early Sunday morning there were people outside preparing for a charity walk and it was extremely noisy. We called the front desk twice to notify the noise was disrupting our sleep. It was only after I called the second time and requested to speak to the manager that the front desk person spoke with the individuals outside to quiet down (which they did). The hotel did not charge us for parking during our stay due to our inconvenience.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
jmajorselan, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the review of your stay last October 2010. I appreciate your comments about the attentive staff and will pass your comments on to them. I'm glad that you enjoyed the morning breakfast that we provide as well.
We feel that our rooms are comfortable and relaxing and continue to update them on an ongoing basis. We are currently enhancing some of our room amenities and I am sure that our guest will appreciate the upgrades. We will be installing new mirrored closet doors in all of our guest rooms soon and we are upgrading our bedding package as well. In addition we are replacing the lamps and all of the artwork in the guest rooms. The final product will be stunning.
I believe that you are referring to the annual Los Angeles Marathon that took place last October while you were here. I am sorry if this event disrupted your stay during your visit but it is geared to raise money for a very worthy cause.
I appreciate your comments and thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Élan Hotel.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I went to Los Angeles on business and stayed over for one night. The only good thing was the location of the hotel. The room was small and very outdated. There was never anyone on duty outside for valet parking..ended up parking at a meter more than once. When I think boutique, I actually think charming and very nice. Neither....will not stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank grandmaairplane
jmajorselan, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for mentioning our great location. We have undergone a major renovation not long ago and continue to upgrade our amenities so that we offer a very competitive product to our guests. In addition, we do offer a 24-hour Valet Parking service and there is a Conciege and Guest Services Representative at our Front Desk Reception at all times as well. I look forward to speaking to you about your comments if you would like to contact me. We appreciate your business. Thanks again.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed here on the recommendation of a colleague and I was so pleased with the results. This hotel is close to the Beverly Center for great shopping and centrally located so that you can use Public Transportation in L.A. I was able to travel easily to Beverly Hills, Westwood, and the airport.

It's a small boutique hotel but was very comfortable and included complimentary breakfast and a wine and cheese hour. A lot of the guests were international and very friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BlueBadger

Dear Guest,

Thanks for mentioning our central location to great shopping at the Beverly Center. The Grove at Farmers Market is also nearby. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the public transportation while you were here as well. Sometimes that relieves the stress of driving in a big city. I am go glad that your enjoyed your stay with us and that you met other people from around the globe to talk with on your visit here. I am sure that it made your trip fun and exciting. Thanks for staying with us. We appreciate your business.