“very nice!”

Beverly Hills Plaza Hotel
Ranked #103 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed February 3, 2010

the hotel is very nice and quite. you dont see many of the other guests.
the location is ok, not much happening around it. its a short taxi ride to hollywood blvd, about $40 one way.
the returant is very small and dark and the menu is the same as room service menu. a little limited.
like some other reviews i was a bit confused about the 'mini bar' there was a small cuboard with a glass door which was locked and a couple of bottles of water in the fridge. i didnt risk it and left everythin as is.
the room is very spacious good layout. to get to the room its a bit confusing at first, you go up a floor the go through a maze like corridore then down 4 stair walf a bit then up 4 stairs, all outdoors
staff are friendly however had alot of trouble understanding my partner when we called to order room service, or front desk. (we're aussies + our accents arent that strong) he'd ask for room service and we'd get wake up call... a bit bizzare but nothing serious.
all in all i had a nice stay and would definatly come back and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Beverly Hills Plaza Hotel

Reviewed December 31, 2009

My wife and I just stayed in this hotel for 10 days, ending on December 30, 2009. Anyone seeking to stay in this hotel should read this review.

By way of background, we are both professionals (lawyers), live in New Hampshire, in our early 50s.

I would consider staying in this hotel again, but with a few adustments. I don't often (ever?) write reviews such as this, But I wish I had one that was complete before I had booked.

Overall, it is a nice hotel. It is essentially a 2-section hotel. There is the normal "main" hotel and rooms, including the front desk, courtyard with nice looking pool (I didn't go in it) surrounded by rooms with balconies overlooking the pool. It looked very nice, but I didn't go into any of these rooms.

There is also the "other" section, which looks like an apartment complex next door that was purchased by the hotel and renovated into hotel rooms. My wife and I stayed in this section, which is accessed from the front desk by a few ways, but the most common seems to be by going up one floor on the elevator (which is small, but adequate), and then walking through a somewhat weird, short maze of walkways leading to the courtyard for this "other" section. We stayed in room 632, which was fine/nice. However, if I had any sort of walking issue, it would have been torture, as the room (and most rooms in this "other" section) require going up a series of short staircases. The courtyard is very California, and contains a fake, but arguably pleasant, waterfall/stream thing and some nice bushes, along with a hot tub located awkwardly directly outside some poor soul's room. The grounds are maintained very well. It seemed every time we walked out of the room, there was some sweeping or other cleaning activity occuring.

Housekeeping was excellent. I tipped $5/day, and $20 on Christmas eve. Good for me.

I agree with other reviewers that there are people living in this hotel full time. That was confirmed by sources I will not name. Somewhat weird, but it didn't impact our stay in any way.

If it wasn't for the following items, I would consider returning to this hotel:

1. Internet access. This hotel charges $15/day for this service. I complained, but was told it was provided by an outside service, and that they couldn't do anything about it. Very lame. In addition, the internet service was lousy, and would not allow me to send e-mails, although I could recieve them. I had to set up a Gmail account to communicate with clients and the office to take care of a few things. The hotel's website states the " ... internet connection provided by Apex Net Systems," but fails to state that there is a $15/day fee. I find the website to be misleading in this regard. Take a look for yourself, and see what you think: http://beverlyhillsplazahotel.com/hotelamenities.htm. Bottom line: If you rely on internet access like I do, add $15 to the hotel's daily rate when doing your comparisons with other hotels. Even then, it's not very good service. Also, the hotel's business/conference room is modest at best, and requires the same password/username as required in your room for internet access. Ugh!

2. Mini Bar. Total rip off. Best advice - have the hotel empty it before your arrival. When we arrived in our room, we had a nice basket of wine and cheeses (from our in-laws) and a couple beers, bottles of water, and a juice or two in the fridge (also, we thought, from our in-laws or leftovers from the prior hotel-goers). As we arrived at 2:00 a.m., I cracked open a water from the fridge, and sucked down a scotch from the basket. Life is good. But apparently, all of the stuff in the fridge is part of the "mini-bar," and the hotel charges dearly for this stuff. I still don't know what exactly I took from the fridge, but it wasn't much, and the total mini-bat bill added up to around $40, more or less. I complained to the front desk, was promised a call from the manager (which never arrived), and I paid it with gritted teeth so as not to tarnish my vacation experience, with the knowledge I would be writing this review. But I will continue to complain (I guess I am right now!), and will update this site if the hotel manager ever comes through and does the right thing. If I were the manager, I would have called, apologized, and sent flowers, or whatever. But I guess the manager was too busy to address a legitimate concern of one of its clients that paid the hotel for 10 days of its hotel's services. Shameful, in my humble opinion, on a whole host of levels.

What is really deceitful is that there is a locked cabinet with a glass front with a bunch of small bottles of liquor, wine, chips in it. We believed, rightfully so, that this locked cabinet was the mini bar. So beware.

3. TV service. Channels 2 through 9 or so look good, including HBO on channel 3. Above that, they are all "snowy." All analog. Disappointing at best, especially when they spent a few dollars for decent flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom, and then don't deliver with comparable service.

4. Parking. Valet service is $28/day. No way. Park across the street, on the street. I did this for all but the first day. No problems.

5. Noise. Walls are thin. TV on in the next room is audible. Bring ear plugs or Ambien.

So, I won't recommend this hotel, because I don't feel it was honest with the charges. I don't mind paying for things I agree to pay for, but I resent being charged for things (or forced to pay for things) I didn't agree to up front. With a few adjustments as I have described, I would recommend this hotel, but I just can't. Look around for other choices. I will.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank NHguy_9
Reviewed November 25, 2009

loved it

Clean, great location , perect for sightseeing around LA

dont waste your money in 5 star -this has everything u could need

staff amazing and best of all we ran into the playboy bunnies!!!!

20mins to santa monica, 10 mins to rodeo drive

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

They missed up on my daughter's food order but over all it was about being there

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2009

My husband and I plus another couple stayed at the hotel for 6 nights. What a wonderful experience. The staff were a delight. The valet, reception and maid service was all that you could ask for. The restaurant was excellent with terrific food and real value for money. The restaurant staff were without exception wondeful, especially Saul who ensured that all customers were looked after. The rooms were clean and spacious with a well equipped kitchen and bathroom. The grounds were well looked after with a well appointed spa. The pool area was awesome where you could relax. The reception staff had lots of great ideas for tours and sight seeing and ensured that our stay was a worry free one. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tourist083
Reviewed June 21, 2009

If you are looking for something quiet and not so big this is the place. You mave even see a star or two. this very secluded hotel is under going some updates but this is for the best, non of this disturbed my stay i was very pleased i have small children and they loved it here. The staff at this hotel is fantastic, if there s anything you need they are there to help. Budget wise you get your moneys worth here. and we will for sure be returning to see the improvemnets that they have made.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank 3maria
Reviewed January 19, 2009

This is the best 3* hotel I've been to. Was expecting something much worse as all last hotel experiences were in 5* hotels. Rooms are big, clean and comfortable, bathrooms have all necessary things that you might need. Our room also had a kitchen which we didn't use though. Jacuzzi (outside the room) that you can use in the night was very nice and relaxing thing to have. Can't judge the restaurant as we never visited it.

Having a car its one of the best not expensive places to stay in LA.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Olga S
#118 of 353 in Los Angeles
Hilgard House Hotel
Hilgard House Hotel
#149 of 353 in Los Angeles

Been to Beverly Hills Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!