“One of the highlights of our trip”

Los Angeles Conservancy Walking Tours
Ranked #74 of 251 Tours in Los Angeles
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I just returned from an architectural tour of Los Angeles sponsored by UNLV (University of Nevada/ Las Vegas). One of the highlights was the L.A. Historic Downtown (Pershing Square) walking tour given by docents from the L.A. Conservancy. This tour is held on Saturdays at 10 a.m. and lasts 2 1/2 hours. Our docent was extremely knowledgeable, well organized and very pleasant. The tour started in Pershing Square and then on to the Central Library. She explained that the city of L.A. was going to tear down the Central Library years ago, and that is when a group of citizens got together to protect it. The group eventually became the L.A. Conservancy. I was especially impressed with the interior of one of the commercial buildings, but unfortunately cannot remember the name. It was exquisite - art deco - with gorgeous green granite, sandstone colored marble, rich wood, beautifully decorated ceilings and light fixtures - breathtaking. There were several buildings as well as a walk through Grand Central Market, The tour ended at the Bradbury Building which has a fascinating history. Its interior has been featured in several motion pictures, the most famous of which is Blade Runner. It is currently an architectural firm - seeing it is believing it. The tour was $10 per person and as the commercial says, it was "priceless". Check out their website laconservancy.org. The tour does involve walking and standing. There was a short period of time when we could sit on a bench at the library or in Pershing Square. There are ample restroom stops. Another good tour would be of the Millennium Biltmore Hotel - we stayed there and it is steeped in Hollywood history. Afterwards, you could enjoy afternoon tea in their lobby.

1  Thank JaniceA885

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Why is it we take walking tours all over the world, yet seldom discover hidden gems at home? We did the historic downtown walk on Saturday and really enjoyed it. It was fun to learn about the history of Los Angeles through some of her buildings. It was especially surprising to see the fabulous interiors of buildings built in the Depression years. My sister and I enjoyed seeing the Bradbury Building where our grandfather had an office. The tour ended just outside the Grand Central Market which has been in that site since 1917. We had a great Chinese lunch there, then rode up Angel's Flight and walked back to Pershing Square. A great way to spend part of a day in LA. We had a taste of the Los Angeles Public Library, and plan to return for one of the free tours that are held on Saturdays at 11:00 and 2:00 on Saturdays.

1  Thank golformeca
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I took 2 of the tours this past weekend...historic Los Angeles and The Biltmore...both were fantastic as were our guides...Roberta and Nicole. They were enthusiastic and informative even for us and we live in the LA area. I am a Conservancy member so I paid $5 each and my husband paid $10....where can you get 2 hours of LA history for that price??? There was really not that much walking either so most everyone will be able to do these tours. We can't wait to try the others...perfect for out of town guests too!

1  Thank ConnieLongBeach
Reviewed July 29, 2013

For $10, the Los Angeles Conservancy provides walking tours, mostly of downtown L.A. which will show you history, notable buildings, murals and landmarks. https://www.laconservancy.org/events-tours/walking-tours
Most tourists don't visit downtown, but you can easily combine a walking tour with nearby Olvera Street and/or Chinatown. Sample itinerary: morning Conservancy walking tour, plus lunch at the Original Phillipe for French dip beef sandwiches (invented here) or Mexican food on Olvera street, then browse Olvera Street, Chinatown (fine jewelry bargains plus dishware, spices), dinner in Chinatown.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I took my husband as a surprise birthday present on a historic downtown LA walking tour. We are both LA natives, but I thought it would be fun to learn a little bit of history about our city. The tour was fun, inexpensive ($10), non-strenuous (although after two hours of standing and walking you get slightly low on steam) and very interesting. I went inside buildings that I have never been in and learned things about LA I never knew. I would definitely take another one of the LA Conservancy's tours.